Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New blower motor not working in position 1

Posted by Dave_G 
I've been listening to the blower motor in my iX chirping and squeaking for a long time, so when it finally died altogether it was no big surprise. I just replaced the blower motor with a new one, and before buttoning everything up, decided to test it. It works perfectly -- in positions 2, 3, and 4. In position 1, there's nothing. Before it died, the old motor was working in all 4 positions. So what is going on? Is this an issue with the new motor? The switch? The resistor?

My guess would be the resistor block has one leg that is broken. The wiring diag. shows resistor #1 at 1.6 ohms is probably the culprit.

Maybe the connector to the resistor block just needs to be cleaned.

Bob in Lake Havasu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2013 04:26PM by Bob in Everett.
Hmm. That sounds like a likely place to check. Thanks!

Bob in Everett
Maybe the connector to the resistor block just needs to be cleaned.

That's exactly what it was. I pulled it out, cleaned the contacts, and tested it -- it worked on all four positions! So I squeezed the cover back on, screwed everything back together, and... position 1 isn't working again. :furious:

So I went and had a beer and will deal with it again tomorrow.

Might try a bit of dielectric grease from the auto parts store on the connector pins. There is some possibility that if the pins were deformed just a little (perhaps flattened slightly) the contact would be more firm and would be maintained.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Bob in Everett
Might try a bit of dielectric grease from the auto parts store on the connector pins.

That was going to be my next plan, until this morning when discovered that it's working again! Procrastination pays off once again. smiling smiley I'll keep an eye on it and pull it apart one last time if I have to.

Hi Guys, I trust you are all well.
Please can someone tell me exactly where this resistor block sits, and how does one get to it?
My first three speeds of my blower fan are not working, and I have no doubt it is the resistor block that needs cleaning.
I gather it sits under under the vent panel just in front of the windscreen or somewhere, from what I have read, have looked under the black plastic cover against the firewall that houses the fuel pump relay, not there, that I can see.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
To get to the heater fan motor and resistor block one must remove the cover on the firewall above and at the rear of the engine. it has four plastic nuts along the top edge and it tilts forward.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Flyboy
Please can someone tell me exactly where this resistor block sits, and how does one get to it?
What model year is your car?
On my old '86 325 the resistor block was mounted from inside, under the dash, just above the heater valve pipes.
On my '90 325i the resistor block clips in to the bottom of the blower fan, accessible through the panel at the back of engine on the firewall.
Ferd, it's a '91 318i, although according to Real OEM the correct diagrams show it as a '90, probably a '90, registered in '91

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login