Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tires

Posted by sdp 
sdp
July 14, 2011 08:42PM
Hey all,

Getting harder to get the OEM tire size (195/65R-14) for this E30.

Discount tire offers a Falken, Kumho and a Hankook.

The reviews were poor for the Falken and Kumho but good for the Hankook.... I just don't like the "kook" in the name.. Just sounds kinda off...

Any thoughts aside from different rims?

Peter
July 14, 2011 09:27PM
I have been similarly having difficulty with the 65 series tire. Went with 195-70x14 instead and they have been working fine. The speedometer is actually more accurate and reads only about 2 mph high at 60 mph instead of about 4 with the stock tires. It gives me the indication of 3% lower gas mileage due to the larger diameter tire but is more accurate I think.
Gives you a lot more choices. I have Michelin on it now.

Bob in Lake Havasu
July 15, 2011 10:03AM
It's certainly getting harder. Every year it seems our choices are half what it was the year before.
For track use I finally gave up and bought a 15" wheel. Not the solution for everyone, but I enjoy it smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
rkj
July 15, 2011 09:11PM
Wow, I just checked tire rack. 14's are gone sad smiley
July 15, 2011 09:34PM
One more good reason for me to be looking for a 318Ti winking smiley
rkj
July 16, 2011 10:57AM
Archeo-peteriX

You won't be sorry, but get a stick smileys with beer
July 16, 2011 02:30PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

You won't be sorry, but get a stick smileys with beer

Absolutely!
July 16, 2011 04:32PM
sdp
Hey all,

The reviews were poor for the Falken and Kumho but good for the Hankook.... I just don't like the "kook" in the name.. Just sounds kinda off...

Peter

Over here there are plenty of sizes for 14 available, 195 width is not the most common but can be ordered overnight or within few working days. Never bought tires on-line but here you have:
[www.pneucity.com]

Anyway, any good tire shop near me can beat their offer, so i just shop for tires like before, going there and picking from the rack or pile...
rkj
July 20, 2011 07:36PM
Jose Pinto
sdp
Hey all,

Peter

Over here there are plenty of sizes for 14 available, 195 width is not the most common but can be ordered overnight or within few working days. Never bought tires on-line but here you have:
[www.pneucity.com]

Anyway, any good tire shop near me can beat their offer, so i just shop for tires like before, going there and picking from the rack or pile...

I can't believe these assholes in america have stopped making 14 inch tires, what a bunch of losers!

There are a lot of cars that still run em thumbs down
July 20, 2011 08:58PM
rkj

I can't believe these assholes in america have stopped making 14 inch tires, what a bunch of losers!

Yeah, but none of them are anything close to an aggressive car. The last half way sporty cars to use 14" afaik are the E30 and the Honda civic. And that last one is questionable winking smiley
We'll be able to find at least ONE 14" tire for some time to come. But there won't be anything but cheap no-season tires because no one spends good tire money on a volkswagon vanagon sad smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 08, 2011 07:14PM
Earendil
rkj

Yeah, but none of them are anything close to an aggressive car. The last half way sporty cars to use 14" afaik are the E30 and the Honda civic. And that last one is questionable winking smiley
We'll be able to find at least ONE 14" tire for some time to come. But there won't be anything but cheap no-season tires because no one spends good tire money on a volkswagon vanagon sad smiley

Hi,

Wow, interesting thread! I bought Michelins about a year ago. It did take a while for them to arrive - maybe 6 weeks. The tire shop had to "tag" them onto another order. I wonder if they were sent from Europe. Strangely the US tire shortage sound like a business opportunity. Buy a half a shipping container of tires in Portugal, ship them to the US's East Coast. After clearing customs, sell them on Ebay.

Non-related question - I posted a new topic to the tech forum a couple days ago, but it has not appeared yet. Maybe Dave is busy? Any thoughts?

Cheers, Kelly
rkj
August 08, 2011 08:02PM
Kelly
Earendil
rkj

Hi,

Wow, interesting thread! I bought Michelins about a year ago. It did take a while for them to arrive - maybe 6 weeks. The tire shop had to "tag" them onto another order. I wonder if they were sent from Europe. Strangely the US tire shortage sound like a business opportunity. Buy a half a shipping container of tires in Portugal, ship them to the US's East Coast. After clearing customs, sell them on Ebay.

Non-related question - I posted a new topic to the tech forum a couple days ago, but it has not appeared yet. Maybe Dave is busy? Any thoughts?

Cheers, Kelly

Post it again Kelly, it probably just didn't take.
August 09, 2011 05:11AM
Kelly
Hi,

Cheers, Kelly

Sending tires from Europe to the USA may be very difficult on transport, customs and all sorts of bureaucracy.
Is hard to beat the regular dealer, but one can take a look at prices over here to compare.

JP
August 09, 2011 11:43AM
Earendil

Now Tyler, I just can't let you get away with this comment. The tires a VW Vanagon (and the old VW Microbus) uses are anything but cheap no season tires. Those of us who have old buses are having a hard time finding tires too, but for a different reason than E30 owners. The bus / vanagon needs a 14 inch light truck tire. That's getting hard to find. I just spent almost $500 to order a set of five tires for one of my buses. I guess that might not be horribly expensive, but it sure isn't what I would call a cheap set of tires. And, of course, if they get more expensive I'll still have to buy them because passenger car tires on a bus are not a great idea. The light duty car sidewalls make for a squishy ride, scary curves, and a ride that wanders all over the road in the slightest cross wind.

Take it easy on the old buses and vanagons Tyler. I'll be watching. winking smiley

John - driver of no vehicles with "easy to find" tires. :burnout:
August 09, 2011 12:24PM
John Yust
Earendil

Now Tyler, I just can't let you get away with this comment. The tires a VW Vanagon (and the old VW Microbus) uses are anything but cheap no season tires. Those of us who have old buses are having a hard time finding tires too, but for a different reason than E30 owners. The bus / vanagon needs a 14 inch light truck tire.

I'm not going to argue... but can I question? smiling smiley
My direct experience with these comes as a child who rode in the backseat of one for many years, so I certainly never bought tires for them. But the internet tells me that an early 90's Vanagon weigh about the same as my E46, and with a 90hp engine (though 119 torque) I can't imagine it's carrying capacity is all that great. So does the Vanagon really NEED a light truck tire, or is that just what it came with?
The internet also tells me that the balance on most of them were near 50-50. So does a "squishy" sidewall really matter? The internet also lies to me sometimes though...

That's getting hard to find. I just spent almost $500 to order a set of five tires for one of my buses. I guess that might not be horribly expensive, but it sure isn't what I would call a cheap set of tires. And, of course, if they get more expensive I'll still have to buy them because passenger car tires on a bus are not a great idea. The light duty car sidewalls make for a squishy ride, scary curves, and a ride that wanders all over the road in the slightest cross wind.

Take it easy on the old buses and vanagons Tyler. I'll be watching. winking smiley

I'll be sure and check my attitude at the door next time tongue sticking out smiley

John - driver of no vehicles with "easy to find" tires. :burnout:

Don't you have a motorcycle? Those can't be too hard to find smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2011 12:25PM by Earendil.
August 09, 2011 09:09PM
Earendil

I'm not going to argue... but can I question? smiling smiley

Of course. Question authority, but not your mother. smiling smiley That's a sticker my wife put on the refrigerator years ago. The kids all ignored it, but what are you gonna do?

Earendil
My direct experience with these comes as a child who rode in the backseat of one for many years,

Oh no! You were raised by hippies! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I'm so sorry. It was tough on my kids too. All the Grateful Dead posters around the house. It's a wonder they didn't go to business school.

Earendil
But the internet tells me that an early 90's Vanagon weigh about the same as my E46, and with a 90hp engine (though 119 torque) I can't imagine it's carrying capacity is all that great. So does the Vanagon really NEED a light truck tire, or is that just what it came with?
The internet also tells me that the balance on most of them were near 50-50. So does a "squishy" sidewall really matter? The internet also lies to me sometimes though...

Well, I think a lot of the VW stuff on the internet is BS, but the tire discussions I've seen aren't too bad. The weight rating of the bus (not sure about the vanagon, but it's probably the same) is surprisingly high. Before 1964 they were rated at 3/4 ton, 1964 and later models were rated at 1 ton. I know that seems high, but I have actually hauled a ton of gravel in my truck. I won't ever do that again, but now I know it can be done. The gearing is very low in the old buses, so the little engine could get a load moving - gradually, and the brakes were pretty good for drums. I felt OK about getting the truck stopped with all that gravel. What bothered me was the realization that I had no way to deal with a flat tire with all that weight in the bed. Plus, a ton of gravel looks pretty small once you spread it in the driveway. It just isn't worth it to haul 1 ton at a time. It might be true that you don't need the stiff tires all the time, but I like having them for the times when I have a lot of camping gear in the bus or a load in the truck.

When I first started driving a bus, I always bought Michelin XZX radials. Those were car tires, but they had a pretty stiff sidewall and the bus felt stable on the road. As stable as a vehicle with a rear axle that pivots in the center will ever feel anyway. Once I couldn't get those, I bought what I thought were good tires, but they were passenger car tires. Things just never felt right with those tires. "Squishy" is one way to describe it. The biggest difference I notice now that I'm using the light truck tires is better response to steering. I also like that I can feel the road through the steering wheel better now than with the car tires - at least I think I can. That might be all in my head.

Earendil
I'll be sure and check my attitude at the door next time tongue sticking out smiley

What?! Don't do that, just don't pick on the old VW owners. Save that for the people who drive AMC Pacers and Gremlins.

Earendil
Don't you have a motorcycle? Those can't be too hard to find smiling smiley

I like riding around on two wheels, but I'm the motor. Now if you want to talk about expensive tires, try some road bike (bicycle) tires. I spent $40 each on a pair of tires that are about half gone now at 1000 miles, and I want to get some that are about twice that much next time. Ouch! I need to find a way to make that purchase look like a necessary houshold expense. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

John
August 10, 2011 08:59AM
John Yust
Now if you want to talk about expensive tires, try some road bike (bicycle) tires. I spent $40 each on a pair of tires that are about half gone now at 1000 miles, and I want to get some that are about twice that much next time. Ouch! I need to find a way to make that purchase look like a necessary houshold expense. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
John

I noticed that a while ago, bike tyres are very expensive, they cost as much as a cheap car tyre. Who can explain why?
August 10, 2011 09:28AM
Michiel 318iS
John Yust
Now if you want to talk about expensive tires, try some road bike (bicycle) tires. I spent $40 each on a pair of tires that are about half gone now at 1000 miles, and I want to get some that are about twice that much next time. Ouch! I need to find a way to make that purchase look like a necessary houshold expense. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
John

I noticed that a while ago, bike tyres are very expensive, they cost as much as a cheap car tyre. Who can explain why?

My guess? A couple factors:
1. The first factor is probably that the process to shape the rubber costs more than the amount of raw rubber used. Therefore the difference between a small and large tire wouldn't be as different as the amount of rubber would imply.
2. Quantity. At least in the US, more car tires are sold than bike tires (a guess).
3. Perceived importance: More people on bikes look at that front tire as they're doing 25mph down a hill and think "I hope that tire doesn't pop". Though they should think of it, far fewer people think about what happens to their car if a tire pops. I bet people who ride bikes are willing to buy something a little better than bargain bin when it comes to tires.
4. Many bike tires in the US are not "nessesary". The off road tires especially. You can charge more for a product that is used in persuit of a hobby. Car tires are not this way, unless you are looking at tires for your new sports car. I know a guy with a 2011 Mustang GT. Try and find a cheap tire for that car smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login