Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

e30 325i sport hazards not working (help)??

Posted by b19spd 
hi... i have a 325i sport e30 and cant get the hazards working! tryed 3 different switches in it which all work in another car! checked all the fuses! indicators work but hazards dont! there seems to b power getting to the switch? any help?
rkj
b19spd
hi... i have a 325i sport e30 and cant get the hazards working! tryed 3 different switches in it which all work in another car! checked all the fuses! indicators work but hazards dont! there seems to b power getting to the switch? any help?

There is a separate flasher for the four way hazard system, I'm pretty sure it lives in the steering column.
are there any other relays i can swop it with to see if this is the problem?
rkj
b19spd
are there any other relays i can swop it with to see if this is the problem?

I don't think so, but maybe others will chime in here. Sometimes it takes a few days.

When you turn the hazards on what happens (does anything light up), can you feel anything click in if you hold your hand under the steering wheel on the column, if I remember right the flasher is on the bottom side between the key switch and the wheel. Do you have the Bentley manual?

Rick
Don't have the bently manual, I've seen ppl talkin about it on other fourams! Wot is it and where can I get 1?
b19spd
Don't have the bently manual, I've seen ppl talkin about it on other fourams! Wot is it and where can I get 1?
Bentley manual
Sorry I don't have any particular advice on the flasher problem, but if I were you I would listen to what Rick says. :smile: He knows whereof he speaks.

The hazard warning lights and turn signal lights use the same flasher relay. If your turn signals are working properly, then you know the problem is not with the flasher module. That's a good thing because it's awkward to get to the flasher as it's mounted under the steering column and you have to pull the steering wheel to get at it.

Are you sure you checked all the fuses?

Power to the turn signals also flows through the hazard warning switch, when the hazard switch is off, from the 15 amp Fuse-4 which is hot only with the ignition switch is in the accessory, run, or start position. That power comes from Fuse-4 to Pin-1 on the hazard warning switch on a Violet/Grey wire. Since your turn signals work, we know that portion of the circuit is okay.

When the hazard warning switch is pressed to activate the hazard warning lights, power is taken instead from 15 amp Fuse-24, which should be hot at all times. That power comes from Fuse-24 to Pin-3 on the hazard warning switch via a Red/White wire.

Have another look at Fuse-24.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2011 07:41AM by Ferdinand.
Does the plastic cover just come off or does it entail the removal of the security bolts on the steering column?

alan
alanrw
Does the plastic cover just come off or does it entail the removal of the security bolts on the steering column?
There are four screws holding the plastic steering column cover on. Two of them are accessible from underneath the column, but the other two are hidden behind the steering wheel. You have to remove the steering wheel to get at them, which means you need the key in the ignition to release the steering lock.

Removing the steering wheel is not difficult, see steps here: http://home.comcast.net/~cdeegan9/dashboard/dashboard_1.html

In the bottom-right of this photo you can see one of the two brass-coloured screws normally hidden by the steering wheel.

Next time you post a message as the one above my reply, could you start in this way:

You've reached the BMW E30 Network Helpdesk, my name is Ferdinand, how can I help you?
Thanks for the help I will try this and let use know how I get on!
rkj
Dave_G
b19spd
Bentley manual
Sorry I don't have any particular advice on the flasher problem, but if I were you I would listen to what Rick says. :smile: He knows whereof he speaks.

Thanks Dave, It's been awhile since I've dealt with these 4way flashers though. Glad Ferdy stepped in :bow:
tuns out it was the fuse mate thanks alot! had a hairline crack in it! all workin now couple other fuses were away aswell got my central locking workin and my electric mirrors workin now aswell! i`m needing rear inner arches? are these pannels that can b bought from anywhere?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login