Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Odd cause for wheel bearing noise?

Posted by Earendil 
January 08, 2011 08:26PM
My dad's new 1991 ix (too many upcoming threads will start this way) has what I believe to be a wheel bearing issue.
In a right hand turn with good sideways force, there is a grinding sound that is audible, and almost physical. Sometimes happens in a straight line, and never in a left hand turn. Classic wheel bearing, aye? But here is something I didn't expect, braking causes the same noise, so does engine braking. And it's just as loud as a turn. A light touch to the accelerator and the noise vanishes. Do wheel bearings fail like this? I thought their noise was purely due to an increased load on the wheel. Thanks for any thoughts!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
January 08, 2011 09:22PM
Might be related to the drive train, being sensitive to acceleration and all.

Bob in Lake Havasu
January 09, 2011 07:49AM
If it is a loose wheel bearing, you can quickly tell by raising that corner of the car and checking for play. Grab the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and see if you can feel any play as you attempt to move the top and bottom hands back and forth.

Usually a bad wheel bearing will make a howling noise and still feel tight so it could also be a stuck caliper. The caliper is supposed to 'float' on the two long bolts that mount it. They often become seized and will cause grinding noises under conditions like you describe.
January 09, 2011 10:58AM
Archeo-peteriX
If it is a loose wheel bearing, you can quickly tell by raising that corner of the car and checking for play. Grab the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and see if you can feel any play as you attempt to move the top and bottom hands back and forth.

Usually a bad wheel bearing will make a howling noise and still feel tight so it could also be a stuck caliper. The caliper is supposed to 'float' on the two long bolts that mount it. They often become seized and will cause grinding noises under conditions like you describe.

Really, a stuck caliper can cause it too? I first thought the noise was the brakes, because it happened while braking and it sounds not too far off from it.I'll give them a 12-6 shake and see what comes of it. I could only remember the spin-and-feel-spring method, which, as you well know, does not work well on an ix winking smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login