Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power Steering Belt Too Long?

Posted by Milo 
December 14, 2010 06:28PM
I bought all new belts at Napa when I did my timing belt, they gave me a Napa Premium XL 25-7330 for the power steering pump. I'm maxed out on the adjustment and she's still loose and squealing at startup...and I hate that 'cause it makes me look like a crappy mechanic.

I'm on my way out to try to find a shorter belt (master of the obvious) but the Napa site says that's the right belt. Am I doing something wrong?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
December 14, 2010 06:43PM
Entirely possible Napa is wrong. Evidence speaks for itself.

alan
December 14, 2010 06:49PM
Tie a knot in it ............... :laugh: :laugh:
Sorry, couldn't resist.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
rkj
December 14, 2010 07:18PM
This happened to me too, I think they have a mixed up listing for some of the 325's, go back with a sample (know about how it fits, so you'll get the right size). Sometimes it takes a little trial and error to get the right fit. I think Bmw might have had a few pulley sizes also... Rick
December 14, 2010 08:21PM
1/2" shorter belt and I'm in business.

One of the few smart things I've done so far is to buy an extra jack so hoisting the car up on jackstands is far easier. Instead of doing one corner at a time I can have a willing assistant help me jack up one end at a time.

Oh, and the lower shroud goes back on easier every time. Hope I don't wear it out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
rkj
December 15, 2010 02:35PM
Milo
1/2" shorter belt and I'm in business.

One of the few smart things I've done so far is to buy an extra jack so hoisting the car up on jackstands is far easier. Instead of doing one corner at a time I can have a willing assistant help me jack up one end at a time.

Oh, and the lower shroud goes back on easier every time. Hope I don't wear it out.

Practice makes perfect smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login