Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repair Manual

Posted by wodcutr 
February 02, 2009 08:05AM
Does anybody know if I can purchase a decent repair manual for a 2001 Toyota Sienna? I need to do the timing belt, so I bought a Haynes and the detail is quite limited compared to the Bentley for our E30s. I know you can buy a three volume set of factory manuals, but they are more than I want to spend. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
February 02, 2009 09:16AM
Uh, do Toyota's need service and repair?
February 02, 2009 09:52AM
Yes they do! We bought the wife's van brand new in 01 and it now has 160k on it. I think the timing belt needs done...spark plugs too! All we have ever really done to it is put brakes on it once and changed the transaxle fluid and regular oil changes. I did have to buy a new AC compressor last spring too. Other than the fact that we are on our fourth set of tires (the thing eats tires like crazy), it has been a pretty reliable vehicle. I can't get my wife to change into something else like a 335xi sedan because then she would have to take better care of her vehicle as the kids generally are pretty tough on the interior and I would go nuts if she had mud on it. Oh well, let her drive what she wants for the reasons she wants. I hate driving the van...if we had a 335 I might actually enjoy going places with the whole gang!
February 02, 2009 07:39PM
Hmm, did you try ebay? They usually have the cd's on sale. Do you know a mechanic that has access to an online library? I know I got some materials for my 98 Sienna from the L.A. Public library. I think they have the Chilton manuals. I would try the public libraries where you live.

alan
February 02, 2009 07:55PM
I did find a downloadable pic of the timing belt and cogs for a 91 Sienna. The picture shows how everything goes together and what bolt torques you should use but has no text explaining the procedure (nothing about where timing marks should be which would be critical for timing belt service). Let me know if you want the pic.

alan
February 02, 2009 10:37PM
is there a toyota sienna forum?

February 03, 2009 07:03AM
Ebay had a CD for sale, but it was not vehicle specific. They also had the factory manuals on CD but they were $115. I think I would just pay the mechanic to do it for that. I also looked for a Toyota forum and found one, but no real info on a timing belt change. I guess most van owners do not get into that kind of stuff.
February 03, 2009 10:17AM
Try the public library. Many are now online. Also, if there are any colleges near you, try the library there as well.

alan
February 03, 2009 10:22AM
Well, I just got my butt off the couch and pulled my Chilton's Toyota Manual. Wasn't I surprised when the front cover said 1998-2002! It has a 4 page description on swapping out the timing belt. I can scan the pages and email them to you. PM me if interested.

For openers, here is the pic I grabbed from the library data base.

alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2009 10:24AM by alanrw.
Attachments:
open | download - Toy_Sie_tmng-cvr+_xpl-vL.gif (61.2 KB)
February 03, 2009 12:56PM
alanrw
Well, I just got my butt off the couch and pulled my Chilton's Toyota Manual. Wasn't I surprised when the front cover said 1998-2002! It has a 4 page description on swapping out the timing belt. I can scan the pages and email them to you. PM me if interested.

For openers, here is the pic I grabbed from the library data base.

alan

That looks like some of the info I need. Thanks for getting your butt off the couch! thumbs up PM sent.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login