Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help X(

Posted by rkj 
rkj
August 19, 2009 10:46AM
Janet got stuck up north with a bad water pump and now she's faced with doing the timing belt thing, does anybody have something I can email to the fella helping us out. The sticky on this isn't working (yo Daniel) so anything you can throw my way is going to be a big help! 1987 325e, we're doing the pump, tensioner and the belt.

Help me bring my baby back south!

Thanks, Rick
August 19, 2009 12:14PM
here is a link that works: [e30world.com]

here is another link that works: [www.pelicanparts.com]

i'm guessing the following is the link that you are talking about that doesn't work, and i don't have any control over it since it is another website: [www.bmwe34.net]

rkj
August 19, 2009 12:53PM
daniel
here is a link that works: [e30world.com]

here is another link that works: [www.pelicanparts.com]

i'm guessing the following is the link that you are talking about that doesn't work, and i don't have any control over it since it is another website: [www.bmwe34.net]

Thanks Buddy, that will help a lot. I noticed on one of them they have you take the large nut off the center of the crank pulley, this is only on very few cars, most just get the outer pulley bolts removed.

Rick
rkj
August 27, 2009 04:44AM
First off, thanks Dan for the help. smileys with beer Getting parts shipped out from Bav was easy but finding a competent shop was not in the boonies up north (willsboro point, new york) but Janet finally was faced with two good choices and she picked (I hope) a good one, so far so good anyway, it'll be pricey but when you're stuck in the wilds you 're lucky to get good work at any price!

I stood back up but let her figure most of it out and if there ever is a next time I'm sure she'll be much more at ease figuring things out- empower the troops I always say!

The issue (as little as I know now) was a fan clutch that got noisy and started to come apart and that led to other things like a bad thermostat housing and a hose or two, while we were in there! she did the timing belt, thanks again Daniel, and all the related gear and hopefully today she gets Sophie back and will do a few miles before heading to home on friday to beat Danny's rain and who knows what else.

All things considered this has been good allround and she now sees how lucky things turned out; adventure, experienced alone is good for the soul and has brought her (hopefully) closer to the car shes driving. Shes been gone for over two weeks, I getting a little tired of the bachelor life and miss my Misses B)

More later as things unfold, Rick
rkj
August 28, 2009 10:01AM
Now all she has to do is tear herself away!
rkj
September 01, 2009 02:59PM
Well, It's a nice thing to get good work, especially when you're stuck in the boonies, but wow, it's expensive; Timing belt, waterpump, tensioner,fan clutch, thermostat and housing and a few water hoses=1500.00

Oh well, she's home smiling smiley
September 01, 2009 05:38PM
yikes

September 02, 2009 11:06PM
Zowie, I always thought car repair was expensive in the big city but more reasonable in the boonies.

alan
rkj
September 03, 2009 07:23AM
alanrw
Zowie, I always thought car repair was expensive in the big city but more reasonable in the boonies.

alan

Well, the truth is, up there anyway, you're lucky to find a place to work on those Bmw cars. Then you're lucky to get a decent job, at any price!

Funny, now the Missus looks a lot more fondly in my direction grinning smiley

Rick
September 03, 2009 08:11AM
Oh, well in that case, it isn't an expense, it is an investment!!!

smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

alan
rkj
September 03, 2009 05:57PM
There ya go smiling smiley
rkj
September 07, 2009 10:14AM
I asked Janet for the RO from the job those guys did upstate and, although it was impossible to read most of it (why can't guys print for gods sake), she told me all the old parts were in a box in the trunk.

This is what was in the box; water pump (shot), fan clutch (perfectly good), water housing (has a chip off one of the outlets) and a six inch piece of 5/16 water hose- no timing belt and no tensioner! This after we both said the car needed them :mad:

So now I have to do the job over, after overpaying in the first place!!!

Jippeee for jerk water mechanics... shitheads
September 08, 2009 08:18AM
Well, you could always document the repair with a camera and then write a letter with photos to the local paper outing them.

Don't get even, get ahead.

alan
rkj
September 08, 2009 10:02AM
So, this morning I call Bav and asked what parts were sent and sure enough. the timing belt and tensioner was on the list. So then I called the repair place and he was very nice and assured me the timing belt and tensioner WAS put in (thank god) and he just forgot to list it on the RO (repair order) and also forgot to drop the old stuff in the box of old parts...

I thanked him for a great job and told him everything was working fine.

I did contact my credit card (the one used for the repair) and I was all set to file a payment dispute with them. If you're ever in a situation like this the credit card company can be your best friend (imagine that!), they take disputes very seriously and do a complete investigation; if you have been wronged the credit card company will smoke em big time....

All's well that ends well and I'll make a sticker for the timing belt today and put it on the door jam

Peace in the valley, Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login