Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My fuel gauge reads like a tacho

Posted by jefrolison 
June 20, 2009 07:37AM
Last month I replaced my fuel pump assy and yesterday my fuel gauge started swinging wildly from empty to 3/4 full. I guess I could blame the instrument cluster as worn out 254,000 and tach sticks at zero occasionally at start up.Usually fuel gauge problems are loss of ground but this ground runs all the way back to the firewall from fuel pump sender.
Jef Rolison
5 iX's 88-89
June 20, 2009 08:34AM
Could be your SI board batteries. My instruments started "bouncing" around, or acting very ghost like. The temp gauge and gas gauge were the best dancers, while the tach and speedo just dropped dead. Replacing the SI Board batteries fixed everything as good as new.

If you aren't familiar with these batteries, toss a reply back saying so. A few of us around here have replaced them, but it isn't trivial sad smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
June 20, 2009 10:52AM
my temp gauge sticks in the winter, but its nothing a nice bump or a good slap on the dashboard wont fix tongue sticking out smiley

June 20, 2009 11:37AM
Earendil
Could be your SI board batteries. My instruments started "bouncing" around, or acting very ghost like. The temp gauge and gas gauge were the best dancers, while the tach and speedo just dropped dead. Replacing the SI Board batteries fixed everything as good as new.

If you aren't familiar with these batteries, toss a reply back saying so. A few of us around here have replaced them, but it isn't trivial sad smiley

My SI Board hasn't accepted a reset for years- everyonce in a while I get a Service Interval Exceded Red Light caution so I dont think the batteries are the problem.
Jef Rolison
5 iX's 88-89
June 20, 2009 04:30PM
Hi Jef,

I think some models have 2 level senders (each side of the tank). If so, did you check both?

Also, it seems like the fuel gauge is damped, unlike the other gauges which drop instantly once you kill the ignition. Does anyone know if it is electrically (capacitor etc) or mechanically (spring etc)? If yours isn't damped, Jef, then knowing how it should be damped might give clues to what is busted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login