Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Engine Mounts

Posted by sdp 
sdp
May 11, 2009 10:27AM
Hello all,

Is it a simple task to replace the Engine Mounts?

I just ordered almost $300 in parts (Distributor, Rotor, Cables, Plugs, Air Intake and a few other things) and as we started working on the car, I was inspecting the engine and I noticed that the engine mount rubber was torn/sheared. I confirmed that the other side had sheared also and the entire engine had shifted over 2 inches. The mounting flange is wedged against the body frame so, it's not going to drop out on me... I think.....:undecided:

I read from someone else that their engine shifted forward and the fan hit the radiator. I'm hoping nothing like that happens to us but the way my son drives......

So are there any tips? It doesn't seem to be difficult but if anyone has any advice before I dive in, it would be appreciated.

Also I looked at BavAuto and they sell for $15... Pelicanparts has them for $9 and $50(OEM)... I don't need the OEM ones do I? Sure the cheap ones are probably.. cheap but hey.. we're not racing the car.

Thanks,
Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2009 11:43AM by sdp.
May 11, 2009 05:38PM
sdp
I read from someone else that their engine shifted forward and the fan hit the radiator. I'm hoping nothing like that happens to us but the way my son drives......

...Sure the cheap ones are probably.. cheap but hey.. we're not racing the car.

You may not be, but it sounds like you son might ;-)

There are a number of solid tutorials online on the matter. Since they all say the same thing, and all have about 3 steps to them, I'm assuming it's a straight forward task, if not a little tedious. The one thing I've been told about the matter (thought I have yet to replace my own, despite having already purchased another set), is to be careful when jacking up the motor, making sure you don't pinch any wires.

If you want to wait another 7-10 days I'll replace mine and tell you how it goes ;-)
rkj
May 13, 2009 06:29AM
sdp
Hello all,

Is it a simple task to replace the Engine Mounts?

I just ordered almost $300 in parts (Distributor, Rotor, Cables, Plugs, Air Intake and a few other things) and as we started working on the car, I was inspecting the engine and I noticed that the engine mount rubber was torn/sheared. I confirmed that the other side had sheared also and the entire engine had shifted over 2 inches. The mounting flange is wedged against the body frame so, it's not going to drop out on me... I think.....:undecided:

So are there any tips? It doesn't seem to be difficult but if anyone has any advice before I dive in, it would be appreciated.

Also I looked at BavAuto and they sell for $15... Pelicanparts has them for $9 and $50(OEM)... I don't need the OEM ones do I? Sure the cheap ones are probably.. cheap but hey.. we're not racing the car.

Thanks,
Peter

Hey Peter

You might want to have a look at the transmission mounts too, if the motor is shifted they're probably in trouble also. Buy good stuff, it always pays in the long run and after you put all that time into sneaking those mounts in you won't have to worry about cheap parts funking out.

As the other guy says, be careful when lifting the motor; hoses and wires have a habit of getting in the way. If you're having trouble call home, we're here most of the time smileys with beer

If you're still driving this car be really careful, that fan is very close to the radiator, very close!

Cheers, Rick
May 13, 2009 08:05AM
rkj
If you're still driving this car be really careful, that fan is very close to the radiator, very close!

Cheers, Rick

way, way, way to close. I remain fearful of the M20 to this day because of that.

May 15, 2009 05:24PM
Peter, what year and model e30 do you have? Before they reversed the flow of coolant ('90 I believe) the alternator fan/pully had a tendency to cut through the radiator hose when mounts got bad also. In any case, if the engine has moved (especially that much), you should take a look at EVERYTHING to make sure nothing has been stressed/stretched and that nothing has been chewed up or damaged.
May 16, 2009 12:32PM
Reversed the flow? Through the radiator you mean? Or through the engine block as well? (This would surprise me)
May 16, 2009 03:49PM
Andy 90 325i
Peter, what year and model e30 do you have? Before they reversed the flow of coolant ('90 I believe) the alternator fan/pully had a tendency to cut through the radiator hose when mounts got bad also. In any case, if the engine has moved (especially that much), you should take a look at EVERYTHING to make sure nothing has been stressed/stretched and that nothing has been chewed up or damaged.

it happened twice to me, both in the middle of nowhere on road trips across the country. once was before the mounts were replaced, once was after. after hours of continuous driving in hot weather i suppose the hoses (new) expand enough to hit the fan.

May 17, 2009 08:59AM
I think just through the radiator. I know that on the later ones there is a metal pipe that crosses the front of the engine rather than that hose that passes by the side of the alternator.
sdp
May 18, 2009 12:40PM
It's a 1990 325is... I checked this weekend and there is no danger of the alternator cutting any hoses. There's nothing there and there is a metal bypass pipe that routes the water from the right to left side.

However, given the 2+ inches the engine is shifted (to the left), the right side of the fan is about 1/4 inch from the radiator. Too close for comfort.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login