Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Buzzing Sound

Posted by alanrw 
February 04, 2009 08:11AM
Hey guys, I am getting a buzzing sound which is emanating from the fuel pump right under the frame just behind the driver's door. The curious thing is that the buzzing is coming from the hose which comes off the pump not the pump. When you grab the hose, the buzzing stops, when you grab the pump, the sound continues. It's kinda like the hose is acting like a violin string. Would this be the pump or the fuel damper gizmo?

thanks

alan
February 04, 2009 08:24AM
alanrw
Hey guys, I am getting a buzzing sound which is emanating from the fuel pump right under the frame just behind the driver's door. The curious thing is that the buzzing is coming from the hose which comes off the pump not the pump. When you grab the hose, the buzzing stops, when you grab the pump, the sound continues. It's kinda like the hose is acting like a violin string. Would this be the pump or the fuel damper gizmo?

thanks

alan

I would have a new fuel pump ready...sounds like it's getting ready to leave you stranded sad smiley
February 04, 2009 08:26AM
My guess is that it is the pump itself. It is the only thing that has the ability to buzz. The fuel line is just the conductor of the noise. Is the fuel line rubber or metal where the noise is coming from? If it is rubber I suggest replacing the old tired inflexible one with new. If it is the metal portion you may want to look and see if all the isolating hold down plastic is still intact.
February 04, 2009 08:31AM
Aren't there 2 pumps, one in the tank and one external as previously mentioned? Is the one in the tank the transfer pump and the external pump the one that does the bulk of the work?

alan
February 04, 2009 08:40AM
alanrw
Aren't there 2 pumps, one in the tank and one external as previously mentioned? Is the one in the tank the transfer pump and the external pump the one that does the bulk of the work?

alan

It depends on the year of production. If you have an external pump then you have two pumps. Generally, the reason the external pump goes is because the one in the tank is not functioning so the external one is doing more work than it was designed to do. I would check and see if the internal one is functioning too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login