Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange steering issue – variable pressure required.

Posted by Kelly 
Hi All,

I hope your fantastically well! It's certainly been a while since I have checked in with you all.

I'm having an unusual steering issue, and I hope you can offer me some suggestions. I had the steering rack replaced probably three years ago. While I certainly do not do any precision driving, I parallel park usually twice a day.

Over the last month or so, when I turn the steering wheel in order to drive around a corner, the amount of pressure that I must apply with my hands to the steering wheel is variable. When I start the turn, usually I only need a slight amount of pressure, then suddenly I must apply a lot more pressure, then suddenly lot less pressure, and again much more pressure is needed. It almost feels as if my tires are stuck sometimes in a curved rut in the street, but there is no rut. This problem is much worse in the morning when the car is cold. It also seems to be slightly worse when descending a hill and turning.

I would not call the situation scary, but it does feel rather odd - The need to apply more or less force to the steering wheel while executing a single turn around the corner.

I asked my regular mechanic to test drive it with me as a passenger. They didn't think anything was wrong. I do think something is wrong.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts to help return Beemie to a better operating condition.

Cheers,

Kelly
I assume that someone checked the oil level in the steering reservoir. Also that there is not any unusual noise from the pump. The steering rack may already be past its warranty so will be expensive to replace again. I had a rebuilt one do that from the beginning being difficult to turn one way and easy to turn the other. Had to claim warranty and get a different one.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Check rack, linea, pump, cooler for leakage. Check P/S fluïd level/top up. Steer from lock to lock à couple of time to get the air out.
P/S pump belt OK and enough tension? No strange nonsens should be heard, effort should be even along rack travel.
Michiel 318iS
Check rack, linea, pump, cooler for leakage. Check P/S fluïd level/top up. Steer from lock to lock à couple of time to get the air out.
P/S pump belt OK and enough tension? No strange nonsens should be heard, effort should be even along rack travel.

After the steering rack is checked, look at ball joints or the bearing on top of the strut towers, they may be damaged and catching the rotation movement at some point.
With the front axle lifted,in case of the no-power steering car, it should be possible to move the wheels by hand without much effort. Don't know if it is the same for power steering, but there should be some way to test it.
If the ball joints are very old, replace them for precaution, I believe those can be replaced withou replacing the whole control arm. It's not nice to have one ball joint break at you while driving. (don't ask me how I know) :/

Keep us posted!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login