Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rebuilding a Transmission

Posted by sdp 
sdp
January 27, 2009 11:45AM
You guys helped me out with a transmission replacement I did over a year ago. So I'll throw this one out at you.

The transmission we bought for $500 is OK and works but 2nd gear (synchro) is... iffy. It'll probably go at some point down the road.
So I still have the original tranny with a bad 2nd gear synchro (and maybe 3rd?? can't remember) sitting in the garage.

My son asked if we could/should rebuild/repair the transmission.

Is it worth the effort?
Can one even get replacement parts?
Would this be way over the top for a layperson like myself, who has done home repairs but nothing at this level.
January 27, 2009 02:55PM
sdp
Would this be way over the top for a layperson like myself, who has done home repairs but nothing at this level.
I believe it requires special tools and is not a Do-it-Yourself kind of job, but here's a document explaining some of the steps.
http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/maxboost/docs/Gearbox_recon.pdf
January 27, 2009 07:53PM
if you don't have (special) tools and know-how I wouldn't do it. Although you can buy replacement parts for it, It would probably be cheaper to buy good used one.
sdp
January 27, 2009 08:17PM
Yes, buying a used one is easier, but there is always that risk.

I bought one from a local BMW dismantler for $500. After installation, it had trouble with 2nd and reverse. I took it to a local shop and they replaced the oil and after some use, it's become much better. It's not what it should be though. No grinding but 2nd does stick a little sometimes. I bugged the owner for a replacement, which he claimed he didn't have and extended the warranty, but since I'm not driving it.. it kind of just slipped away from me. Maybe I can pull out our correspondence and guilt him into some other parts after all this time. I think my son ruined the original tranny because he was a new driver and didn't have clean shifting.

I figured, it it's just sitting on the floor of the garage, what the hell... even if we screw it up and don't even finish it, it's no harm. My son could learn something. I just hate investing money and then not get anywhere with it.
January 27, 2009 11:48PM
sdp
I figured, it it's just sitting on the floor of the garage, what the hell... even if we screw it up and don't even finish it, it's no harm. My son could learn something. I just hate investing money and then not get anywhere with it.

If that's your position then it might be nice learning (father-son) project, especially if at the end tranny doesn't have to be functional. But (and it seems there is always but sad smiley ) if you invest money in parts and it doesn't work at the end....maybe your son can open the tranny just to see how it looks like inside and how it works (i used to like doing that when I was younger...heck ,I still like it) , and/or do some research into transmission to learn how to fix it, and then put into practice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login