Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

89 325ix - Building a Back Road Carver / Daily Driver

Posted by httr_garage 
I purchased an 89 BMW 325ix in February 2017, my first BMW, and my first E30. I have completely fallen in love with this car! When I purchased the car, the previous owner had already spent about 8k making the E30 a pretty reliable daily driver, with a few mechanical/ cosmetic issues. Recently replaced the power steering pump in order to smooth out the steering feel and eliminate a groaning noise every time steering wheel was turned to lock.

My goal with this project is to build a car that is precise in handling on back roads, when pushed to the limit, but still is comfortable enough to drive daily, if I wanted. I am prepping to move into the next stage of the project, which will begin addressing improving the handling. I do not have a mechanic background and, while I do have a quality understanding of performance driving, have never planned/ executed a car build towards a specific goal. This phase of the project will focus on tires, sway bars, and shocks/struts.

I am seeking specific recommendations on brands/ specific parts in these three categories, as well additional modifications that would be recommended, keeping the end goal in mind. Bottom line- if you were about to overhaul your E30's suspension to significantly improve handling and maintain a comfortable ride, what would you buy/ install?

Thanks!
It is pretty easy since these cars handle well to begin with. If your previous owner has replaced the front suspension control arms and shocks you are well on the way as that is most difficult part.
I have not done this to my convertible but many will lower the car an inch or so with new springs. If you do replace the front springs then the Koni or Bilstein shocks will be easily installed.
Some 17 inch wheels from Beyern with E-30 fitment and some Michelin PS3 tires will work really well. see attached pix of my sedan. I get compliments on them all the time.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Attachments:
open | download - SmallCar.JPG (419.6 KB)
Bob in Everett
It is pretty easy since these cars handle well to begin with. If your previous owner has replaced the front suspension control arms and shocks you are well on the way as that is most difficult part.
I have not done this to my convertible but many will lower the car an inch or so with new springs. If you do replace the front springs then the Koni or Bilstein shocks will be easily installed.
Some 17 inch wheels from Beyern with E-30 fitment and some Michelin PS3 tires will work really well. see attached pix of my sedan. I get compliments on them all the time.

Nice fleet in the photo Bob. :-) Kelly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login