Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

steering wheel removal?

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
August 04, 2016 07:46AM
My 1989 cabrio has an unusual stock steering wheel that appears to be a "sport" wheel with three spokes. This is a pre-airbag car. So, there is a large round horn button in the center of the steering wheel. I want to remove the wheel but am not sure how to get to the 22mm nut to remove it. Does the horn button just come out if I pry it out?

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 04, 2016 09:33AM
Bob in Everett
My 1989 cabrio has an unusual stock steering wheel that appears to be a "sport" wheel with three spokes. This is a pre-airbag car. So, there is a large round horn button in the center of the steering wheel. I want to remove the wheel but am not sure how to get to the 22mm nut to remove it. Does the horn button just come out if I pry it out?

This sounds like one of the two steering wheels that can be found on most E30s in Europe, so I guess any DIY article from Europe on the topic should cover it.
The wheels are typically called M-Technik I and M-Technik II. Try a google picture search for which one it is, and then look up an article about it.

I have never seen an E30 with airbag in real life, and four spoke wheels are very rare.
August 04, 2016 09:48PM
This is the wheel I have and just wondering if putting a screwdriver to it is the right thing.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Attachments:
open | download - steering wheel.jpg (62.2 KB)
August 05, 2016 02:03PM
Bob in Everett
This is the wheel I have and just wondering if putting a screwdriver to it is the right thing.

Oh. That is a really rare wheel. None of the normal ones. I don't know how to dismantle that kind.
August 05, 2016 04:22PM
Yes, I have that same wheel. The screwdriver will be fine. I can even pull my horn button out with my fingers if I cram them into the little gap just right.

John
August 07, 2016 06:50PM
Turns out the center button pried out easily with a couple of plastic tools. There is a well designed spring loaded pair of fingers holding it in place. I will save it since it may be a fairly rare and is in pristine condition. I replace it with the one that I think is what came on E-30 M3. picture attached.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Attachments:
open | download - $Mtech.jpg (264.9 KB)
August 28, 2016 02:40PM
That's the same whel that came with my 318iS, I still have the M-techII wheel from my iX, but needs new leather.
August 28, 2016 08:06PM
was just at the BMWCCA Oktoberfest in Monterey this past week and saw another E-30 with a wheel like that. Only other one I have seen.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login