Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FAN CLUTCH STUCK BAD - suggestions"

Posted by vvurdsmyth 
June 15, 2014 03:17PM
Doing the timing belt; when I replaced the water pump 3 years ago the 32mm wrench on the nut behind the fan clutch.. long screwdriver on a fin of the fan clutch and a gentle wack with a rubber mallet and the fan clutch spun right off... not so this time; sprayed some PB Blaster behind the fan clutch and been wacking the screwdriver with increasing ferocity, even breaking some of the fins; of course the direction is clockwise & with the 32mm on the nut; should have use some anti-seize on the threads when I did the water pump, but never thought the seize could be this sticky...; before I destroy the fan clutch to get it off, any suggestions..?
Not sure I understand what you are attempting. The nut that on the fan clutch is left hand threads so the 32 mm wrench needs to move clockwise with respect to the water pump looking rearward. . No need to be whacking the fan clutch at all. If the fan belt is in place to hold the pully getting the nut loose is usually not much trouble. On can use a screwdrive or some suitable steel bar to hold the bolt heads of the pully from turning while loosening the clutch. Not a lot of space to work with so once it is loose I usually just turn the fan to remove the nut.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Bob in Everett
Not sure I understand what you are attempting. The nut that on the fan clutch is left hand threads so the 32 mm wrench needs to move clockwise with respect to the water pump looking rearward. . No need to be whacking the fan clutch at all. If the fan belt is in place to hold the pully getting the nut loose is usually not much trouble. On can use a screwdrive or some suitable steel bar to hold the bolt heads of the pully from turning while loosening the clutch. Not a lot of space to work with so once it is loose I usually just turn the fan to remove the nut.

I have usually just used a bicycle headset spanner (they are slim), and did not hold anything. Whack the spanner with a light metal hammer.
The trick is to give it a shock, so rubber is not so good for the purpose.
haa, Thank you.... just as I'm figuring... I'm doing it wrong.. gonna make a thin metal 32mm spanner for the nut and use my thin channel lock wrench on the shaft; somehow I got my recollection of how I did it before skewed... will let you know how it works..
thank you Ove Kvam, I used a thin tool steel bar to snag one bolt head and shaft to hold the pulley steady while turning the nut with the 32mm spanner... so it is off, and thank you all for your responses. (~;
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login