Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another starting issue

Posted by TimH 
January 21, 2014 12:28PM
Hello all,

My garage queen '85 318i usually sits in its castle and plugged into the battery charger.

Yesterday I went to back it out of the garage for a quick wash. It started but then stopped. Went to start it again and it span over fine but wasn't keen on starting. Eventually got it started to reverse 2 car lengths and give it a bath.

Would not start for the return journey. Gave up trying and drove it back on the starter (love the CTek battery charger ! ) but then just as I was about finished it caught and ran (and laughed at me). It was idling fine and I reversed and drove back in OK.
Stopped and tried restart. No go.

Now the bad news. I cant find where the other half has ' filed' my Bentley manual and she is away for a few days. Good opportunity for car play time, but missing my resource ! :biggrin:

At least I can go and fit my new engine mount dampers from my previous thread !

Regards,
Tim
rkj
January 21, 2014 09:22PM
TimH
Hello all,

My garage queen '85 318i usually sits in its castle and plugged into the battery charger.

Yesterday I went to back it out of the garage for a quick wash. It started but then stopped. Went to start it again and it span over fine but wasn't keen on starting. Eventually got it started to reverse 2 car lengths and give it a bath.

Would not start for the return journey. Gave up trying and drove it back on the starter (love the CTek battery charger ! ) but then just as I was about finished it caught and ran (and laughed at me). It was idling fine and I reversed and drove back in OK.
Stopped and tried restart. No go.

Now the bad news. I cant find where the other half has ' filed' my Bentley manual and she is away for a few days. Good opportunity for car play time, but missing my resource ! :biggrin:

At least I can go and fit my new engine mount dampers from my previous thread !

Regards,
Tim

Hey Tim, You should try to figure out if it's a fuel or spark related failure (I asume you have compression). I'm sure you'll turn your Bentley up at some point...

Cheers, Rick
January 23, 2014 08:09PM
My first guess would be fuel pump being intermittent. Try listening for it to run for a second just as the ingnition switch is turned on and before the starter is engaged. Also could be water in the fuel. It will condense in the tank if the car is stored with a partial tank and is subject to large temperature swings in moist air.

Bob in Lake Havasu
February 02, 2014 09:43AM
Fuel pump would be my first guess, too. Like Bob said, listen for the whirring sound in the back when the key is turned to the first position. A similar thing happened to my E30 a couple years ago. If you don't hear the sound, check the connection under the back seat with a multimeter to make sure that current is getting there.

February 03, 2014 09:14PM
Dave_G
Fuel pump would be my first guess, too. Like Bob said, listen for the whirring sound in the back when the key is turned to the first position. A similar thing happened to my E30 a couple years ago. If you don't hear the sound, check the connection under the back seat with a multimeter to make sure that current is getting there.

I'm trying to remember if the same pins on the 318 fuel pump relay are the same as those on the 325's. Maybe Peter, or one of you guys could chime in here. Jumping out the relay makes checking the pump/pumps so much easier... Rick
February 03, 2014 10:11PM
The relays are the same.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
February 05, 2014 11:06PM
Bob in Everett
The relays are the same.

Now if someone would just say what the terminal numbers are for the jumper wire- Peter/Ferdy, you there?
February 06, 2014 10:08AM
rkj
Bob in Everett
The relays are the same.

Now if someone would just say what the terminal numbers are for the jumper wire- Peter/Ferdy, you there?

According to the 318i schematics shortong pins 30 and 87b should do the trick.
rkj
February 07, 2014 02:23PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Bob in Everett
The relays are the same.

Sure glad you're around Peter smileys with beer thanks
February 07, 2014 03:49PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Bob in Everett
The relays are the same.

Sure glad you're around Peter smileys with beer thanks

Fortunately, I still have all the work shop manuals and schematics that I found on line smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login