Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Third brake light on the rear deck

Posted by rkj 
rkj
January 20, 2013 08:19PM
I've forgotten how to pull the cover off to get at the bulb. I'm working on my 1988 325is coupe.

Thanks, Rick

perseverance furthers
January 21, 2013 12:05PM
I think you'll need a hammer and approach from the outside. If not, I bet the right solution will be pretty similar.

Honestly, no idea, we didn't get them in Europe.
January 21, 2013 12:21PM
Ugh, looks like one of those ones where you say a prayer and then unsnap it hoping nothing breaks. No screws.

[www.realoem.com]

alan
January 21, 2013 06:04PM
There are screws underneath. hidden by the foam above the tools. I think there are 4 of them. Probably want some silicone sealant to put on the screws when you put them back so water will not drip into the tools. Might have to remove the tool carrier to see two of the screws.

Bob in Lake Havasu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 06:05PM by Bob in Everett.
rkj
January 21, 2013 08:10PM
Bob in Everett
There are screws underneath. hidden by the foam above the tools. I think there are 4 of them. Probably want some silicone sealant to put on the screws when you put them back so water will not drip into the tools. Might have to remove the tool carrier to see two of the screws.

I think you're talking about the cabrio's third brake light on the trunk, Bob. I'm pretty sure on the closed cars you have to squeeze the housing in some way for it to come loose from the base so you can replace the bulb. I wonder if that will make the warning (on the overhead check consoul) brake lamp go out once that light is working again... confused smiley

Regards, Rick
January 21, 2013 09:29PM
I can't run out and check it but I thought the bulb was accessible from the trunk.

If the bulb is the only problem with the brake light warning on the diagnostic panel then the warning light should go out when the bulb is replaced.

While you're in there; check the wiring to the light because there was an issue with the two torsion rods that hold the trunk open chaffing the wires; if I remember correctly.
January 22, 2013 04:16PM
Archeo-peteriX
I can't run out and check it but I thought the bulb was accessible from the trunk.

If the bulb is the only problem with the brake light warning on the diagnostic panel then the warning light should go out when the bulb is replaced.

While you're in there; check the wiring to the light because there was an issue with the two torsion rods that hold the trunk open chaffing the wires; if I remember correctly.

I just went and looked in my trunk. No access from in there. It's been years since I had that light open, but I think it is just a pull-off cover. If it were daylight and a few degrees warmer I might try it and report back, but it isn't, so good luck. smiling smiley

John
January 22, 2013 06:21PM
Oops, I had forgotten there is some kind of E-30 besides a cabrio....I actually may have one of the inside the rear window type lights in a box of parts. Might be able to figure out how it is retained if I can find it.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
January 22, 2013 08:17PM
Bob in Everett
Oops, I had forgotten there is some kind of E-30 besides a cabrio....I actually may have one of the inside the rear window type lights in a box of parts. Might be able to figure out how it is retained if I can find it.

Thanks Guys, Mines in there a little cocked to one side so I guess someone has tried to get in there and didn't get it just right :cool2: Still looking for any help though... Cheers, Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login