Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

After the monsoon rains, a few days awaysmiling smiley

Posted by rkj 
rkj
October 24, 2012 12:46PM
So, after the trip up in monsoon rains we were lucky and got some great weather to have fun in. I must say the Continentals DWS tires were a wonder driving in to places that had a good inch or so standing water; at some points that was mile after mile. The car would hit those and go 'shuusssh' very gently and you could barely feel it in the steering wheel, the car still responding to any turning you might have to do. That was nice!

Of course, I had more than my share of clueless people around me; seemed like I couldn't get away from them most of the time... I love it when they use the left lane for cruising at the speed limit or below or come up on you going gangbusters only to stop right in front of you (while it's pouring rain) and sit there two car lengths in front of you. People, and I use that term loosely!, really have no manners on the road, driving cars they have no feel for or any connection to.

Anyway, we made it safe and sound, just making the ferries as we pulled up (the one over to New London, Conn. we were the last car on). What fun we had together. We have not had any time away together for a long time and just that small space of time did wonders for our mental health and general outlook.

Lulu, or newly acquired E39 528/5 ran perfect and Saturday night Zephyr and Will had a party, later, a few of the guys and Will were checking it out, the alarm went off (has never done that) and I was looking out of the window (I know what the sound is) and clicked it off with the remote, just opened the doors.

That car might be a family sedan but it goes very well, with those wide 17 inch wheels it hangs in there like a slot car, and it will go as fast as you want for as long as necessary, quietly and smoothly. At one point coming home, in good weather, Janet looked over and said" you know, you're going over 100.... Oh, I said, really? It gives up around 27 mpg if you're on the highway and a few less everywhere else.

After a day to cool out after the trip home, here I sit, writing about it to some friends- Life is good!

Cheers, Rick

perseverance furthers
Sounds like you are quite happy with the new car!
:cool2:
Don't go soft on me Rick, you are one of my heros!!!!

:rally:

alan
rkj
alanrw
Don't go soft on me Rick, you are one of my heros!!!!

:rally:

alan

I'm flattered Alan, but how come I'm going soft?

smileys with beer
Hey Rick. Long time, no see. I had no luck finding the group shortly after the original BEN dissolved. After a while (few months maybe) of searching the net I gave up hope. I don't know what triggered me to recently have another go. Maybe it's my disdain for the majority of the posters over at places like bimmerfest. There are a few good people over there, but overall it is nauseating.

Anyway, it looks like great minds think alike. Sometime around your original post of this thread I bought myself an e39 as well. It's a 2001 530iA, and no, she doesn't have a name. Color is a navy blue, of which it seems like they made at least 5 different variations for the 5er. The clock is just north of 176k, and the engine feels great, but it didn't come without issues. Either the ABS module or a speed sensor needs to be replaced. I am without ABS or DSC (who needs that anyway?) for the time being. There is also a slight rumble which I suspect either a restricted cat, or the beginning of engine/transmission mounts starting to go. I'm guessing the latter because if you lay your foot down it revs smoothly to red line. Usually a plugged cat will choke an engine down, especially in the upper rev range.

How is your 528 treating you? Three pedals are always more fun. Any issues so far? When did you pick it up?

Are your Continentals new? The 530 came with Michelin Pilot Exaltos, which are a great pleasure. They're not spectacular at any one thing, but very good at many things. They are very smooth and quiet, and there has never been a traction issue. I haven't tried to push the limits in this car, so I really don't know about lateral grip. The e39 just doesn't seem like the type of car that I want to drive aggressively. But like you mentioned, on the highway you can get moving at very high speeds and not even realize. It's nice doing 75 mph @ 2,200 RPM.

Happy motoring,
Eric
rkj
Eric Gomolka
Hey Rick. Long time, no see. I had no luck finding the group shortly after the original BEN dissolved. After a while (few months maybe) of searching the net I gave up hope. I don't know what triggered me to recently have another go. Maybe it's my disdain for the majority of the posters over at places like bimmerfest. There are a few good people over there, but overall it is nauseating.

Anyway, it looks like great minds think alike. Sometime around your original post of this thread I bought myself an e39 as well. It's a 2001 530iA, and no, she doesn't have a name. Color is a navy blue, of which it seems like they made at least 5 different variations for the 5er. The clock is just north of 176k, and the engine feels great, but it didn't come without issues. Either the ABS module or a speed sensor needs to be replaced. I am without ABS or DSC (who needs that anyway?) for the time being. There is also a slight rumble which I suspect either a restricted cat, or the beginning of engine/transmission mounts starting to go. I'm guessing the latter because if you lay your foot down it revs smoothly to red line. Usually a plugged cat will choke an engine down, especially in the upper rev range.

How is your 528 treating you? Three pedals are always more fun. Any issues so far? When did you pick it up?

Are your Continentals new? The 530 came with Michelin Pilot Exaltos, which are a great pleasure. They're not spectacular at any one thing, but very good at many things. They are very smooth and quiet, and there has never been a traction issue. I haven't tried to push the limits in this car, so I really don't know about lateral grip. The e39 just doesn't seem like the type of car that I want to drive aggressively. But like you mentioned, on the highway you can get moving at very high speeds and not even realize. It's nice doing 75 mph @ 2,200 RPM.

Happy motoring,
Eric

Hey Eric, glad to see you back. Did you give up on the E30?

The 528 is a lot of car to keep track of but I bought it with 100k and was hoping I would have as good luck as I've had with all my Bmw's. So far things look good but more time will tell the tale :eyes: like I say, it's a lot of car! Mine came with wide 17 inch wheels and I just put on new tires and so far they are amazing. I can't wait till we get some snow to try them in the white stuff but I can tell you the rain performance is wonderful.

The car is basically rock solid anywhere, it loves back roads and highway work, well, it just shines....

I joined these guys and they have been a big help. The fella that runs the show, Don, is a nice guy and like Peter, and a few others here, knows a awful lot about the E39's. These cars are a step up on the food chain and it can be a daunting task getting a handle on things at times. I bought a cheap cd manual on ebay but these guys (and the sites archives) are really the key.

I was looking for an 530 but could'nt find any stick cars so I settled for this one and so far I love it, my only issue is, can I really afford it! I'm about six months and five thousand miles in to it. The E39 is truly a sports sedan in the best sense of the word...

Cheers, Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login