Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Considering a MB w124 250D

Posted by Jose Pinto 
September 17, 2012 03:11AM
Good morning!

I am contemplating to repalce my old BX with a slightly less old Mercedes Benz 250D of the w124 model.
The car is form an uncle of mine, has quite a story, was imported used from Germany, has been a taxi for some time and still has the "Beige" livery.
I test-drived it yesterday, it drives fine, excellent ride and brakes, some electrical gadgets are not working, just have to confirm if the fuel economy announced is accurate. Is somewhat boring to drive, the power steering has no feel whatsoever, unlike the BMW e30 or the BX. The five cylinder pulls strong, was recently replaced with an overhauled one, not the most spectacular driving experience but i like these old school diesels better than new smallish and high revving turbo diesels. The gear linkage has seen better days, and there is something wrong with the drive-shaft or rear half-shafts, will look into it. Will keep you posted on the outcome of this.
September 18, 2012 12:21PM
That colour is called RAL 1015, mandatory colour for German taxi's. Just consider one thing: this is the last car you buy! Those things are bullet proof, if cared for a bit. Nice sounding 5 cylinder engine. No rocket, more like a barge, slow but unstoppable. Great looks. T models are very spacious but try to find one that hasn't been used for moving stuff and throw stuff in that would normally go into a trailer.
September 18, 2012 04:53PM
Michiel 318iS
That colour is called RAL 1015, mandatory colour for German taxi's. Just consider one thing: this is the last car you buy! Those things are bullet proof, if cared for a bit. Nice sounding 5 cylinder engine. No rocket, more like a barge, slow but unstoppable. Great looks. T models are very spacious but try to find one that hasn't been used for moving stuff and throw stuff in that would normally go into a trailer.

The car came from Germany in a dark grey colour, by 1997 when my uncle bought it there, and had it painted "Ivory" RAL1015 here, to serve as a taxi. It did so for several years until he bought a new Toyota for the taxi duties. Then he lent the car to his daughter, and she blew the engine by cracking the oil pan and leaving it to run dry. A new engine was placed, and it was used less frequently as my uncle has the taxi, another w124, and two other cars. So it has been sitting in front of the house, and now I bought it from him to relieve the old beat-up Citroen.

The impression I got from driving it is quietness and comfort. The "taxi" color ensures me priority in traffic, such is the reputation. ("Hey, you! Are you talking to me?")
Most taxis in Portugal are Mercedes Benz, the w124 being replaced now with newer C and E models.
The ride is very firm, yet comfortable. It can handle almost any turn of the road without any complain from the tires. The throttle must be pressed hard, unlike the Citroen, or nothing happens. Steering is very light and has no feeling whatsoever, just like a computer game. The brakes with ABS, are very powerful, matched with excellent Michelin tires, it inspires a lot of confidence. The gear linkage has some play, but works fine. I Have to prove the fuel economy (or the lack of it) of the 250D as the car feels heavy (and it is, 1320kg). It has several electric gadgets, some not working right. The radio is some old cassette unit, it sucks, and the rear speakers don't work. The interior is right, seats are good but door linings are needing some care. The power sunroof is not working right, but it doesn't leak in which is fine. It has four power windows (all working fine), which is not so common to see, most came with crank windows. Just found out it has a trailer hitch, except the sphere that was of the removable type and might have been lost, along with the original tool set and the owner's manual.
All in all, I am now a taxi driver.
I couldn't find a decent BMW with the kind of money I wanted to spare, as most of the cheap deals looked ready to spill their guts or leaking oil badly, or too torn, etc.
The car chose me and followed me home...:thumbup:
September 26, 2012 03:37AM
Yesterday completed 100km with the "taxi" and the fuel consumption is somewhere 6.5 to 7.5 L/100km.
Not bad for the big heavy tank it is! :dance:

Will schedule an inspection service soon, for peace of mind, as my uncle is not very organized keeping records of car maintenance (there are none, just one paper tag hanging beside the steering wheel).

Will make some pictures as well, to share.
September 26, 2012 05:40AM
Jose Pinto
Yesterday completed 100km with the "taxi" and the fuel consumption is somewhere 6.5 to 7.5 L/100km.
For us metric-impaired Americans, that's about 31-36 MPG. Outstanding!

September 26, 2012 06:11AM
Dave_G
Jose Pinto
For us metric-impaired Americans, that's about 31-36 MPG. Outstanding!

My sister had an e46 320d who did 5L/100, and has now an e90 318d even better, that is about 47MPG, while being quicker to accelerate and much pleasant to drive. I am 20000€ short of having one, though. In the end, it's the same to spend more on fuel on on the car itself.
September 26, 2012 07:13AM
I sure wish we had the diesel options here in North America that you guys have. Over here, if you want a diesel, it's pretty much Volkswagen or a truck. The VW TDIs do seem to be gaining in popularity, though, so maybe some other manufacturers will see the light and start selling their diesels here too!

September 26, 2012 11:16AM
Dave_G
I sure wish we had the diesel options here in North America that you guys have. Over here, if you want a diesel, it's pretty much Volkswagen or a truck. The VW TDIs do seem to be gaining in popularity, though, so maybe some other manufacturers will see the light and start selling their diesels here too!

Make no mistake, any gasoline car is better to drive and cheaper than the Diesel equivalent.
The point is to save a bit on fuel, but the Diesel Oil price is rising so much it doesn't make sense unless you plan driving more than 35000km per year, to offset the difference in price of the car and maintenance.

Here is the thing:

September 26, 2012 01:03PM
Don't agree. In everyday traffic, the high torque at low rpm makes the diesel more pleasant to drive, if you want a (turbo) petrol engine with the same feeling your fuel consumption will go north. As much as I like petrols, I'd prefer a diesel for the daily stuff.
September 26, 2012 01:04PM
The proof that it is bullet proof: 600.000+ kms and still looking good!
September 26, 2012 03:05PM
Michiel 318iS
Don't agree. In everyday traffic, the high torque at low rpm makes the diesel more pleasant to drive, if you want a (turbo) petrol engine with the same feeling your fuel consumption will go north. As much as I like petrols, I'd prefer a diesel for the daily stuff.

We are going into personal taste here. First I don't drive much in the city, my comute is like 30km road, 25 km highway then few km of city, seldom go into heavy stop-go traffic.
I am comparing similar cars let's say, the 250d with an e36 316i (similar power and size). The later is much more pleasant (IMHO) to drive. There is less torque at low rpm, but one can rev the engine a bit higher. The 250d is driven often with throtle pedal flat down (only 90 hp at 4800rpm), the 316i would take off after few seconds (and use serious amount of gas to do it!)...I would take a petrol car any time, it it wasn't for the fuel usage...
The 250D driven hard will do 8L/100, anything petrol of that size driven hard would do about twice, perhaps going faster but still...
Of course new turbo diesel cars are much more powerful and consume even less, as do new petrol cars.
Next car of mine will be something LPG or an hybrid, and have best of both worlds!
September 26, 2012 03:12PM
Michiel 318iS
The proof that it is bullet proof: 600.000+ kms and still looking good!

24 years and going strong! Is the true chick magnet.
hot smiley

It has some minor faults when you look closely, I must have the door linings taken care of and decide if I want to touch up the "Ivory" paint or re-paint it in the original Grey.
either that or put vinil adverts, like taxis do. :whistle:
September 27, 2012 11:23AM
You might even make some money out of that!
October 16, 2012 09:05AM
I like this spritmonitor!

spritmonitor.de.en
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login