Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

116d

Posted by Jose Pinto 
September 06, 2012 06:24AM
What about the all new BMW 116d, will it deliver the fuel economy as presented?
September 06, 2012 07:28AM
What claims does it make?
We don't see anything about cars like this here in the land of the gas guzzler sad smiley
September 06, 2012 09:36AM
116d review
Archeo-peteriX
We don't see anything about cars like this here in the land of the gas guzzler sad smiley
September 06, 2012 09:41AM
Jose Pinto
116d review
Archeo-peteriX

Unless your internet is censored, you should find information.
They claim 74.3 mpg (UK) or 3.8 L/100km.
The engine is 1.6L Turbo-Diesel, instead of the big 2L from the 118d.
Just have to come up with the 29000€ to pay for one...
:whistle:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2012 09:45AM by Jose Pinto.
September 06, 2012 01:27PM
Depends largely on your driving style. In my E46 I'm 0.1 liter/100 km off the NEDC cycle values and I could do better if I'd accelerated a bit less hard.
September 07, 2012 05:14AM
Michiel 318iS
Depends largely on your driving style. In my E46 I'm 0.1 liter/100 km off the NEDC cycle values and I could do better if I'd accelerated a bit less hard.

This proves you dirve well!

My experience with cars I drive is not as good, but still the consumption is not far what was claimed.
:whistle:

Problem with this new super-efficient-turbo-diesel engines is there are way too many horror stories about blown engines, turbo problems and all sorts of costly problmes due to bad usage and/or poor maintenance. I guess there is no way arround that except buying a factory warranty.

OTOH, I test drove a Ford FOcus 1.4L station wagon, 2005. It was well within what I want to pay, but it uses slightly less fuel than the current old beater, so no big improvement on that side of the problem. :wall:
September 07, 2012 10:05AM
Yeah, but hasn't that always been the case with turbos? I had heard supposedly that all of the unreliability has been figured out and that diesels will be the answer for high mpg and performance.

thoughts?

alan
September 07, 2012 12:47PM
Maybe out of your budget, but what about the new 1.0 L 3 cyl turbo in the new Focus. That engine is as strong as the old atmospheric 1.6 and has pretty good fuel economy. And it brings driving pleasure, a lot of torque at low rpm and still enough oumph to go on to the redline.

At the moment it looks like diesel will get as expensive or even more expensive than petrol in the EU (in some countries it's been like that for years), only fuel economy will make it more economical to run but you'll have to drive a lot to make up the difference with the oncost of buying a diesel.

My fuel economy is largely due to the long distances I drive, a 112 km commute (single direction), 80% motorway. I tend to use cruise control as soon as I see I can keep my speed for a while.
September 09, 2012 03:25PM
The F*%$#& government just anounced the cut of about 10% my salary next year.:hitwithrock: :furious:
I am contemplating some older car converted to LPG, (propane gas) as it costs about half the gasoline over here.
Either that, or some older Diesel that I can pay without asking a loan, like a Mercedes-Benz w124 or BMWe36 or the like.

With my new "living arrangement" I may end up with a daily commute of somewhere like 100km (round trip) with no reliable public transport.
September 09, 2012 08:50PM
A cut that size is going to be very noticeable. Hope you have some reserves. As always, employee and temporary is redundant. I have had pay cuts from companies I worked for in the past. Not that painful however. At least with a company, if one is a very productive employee they cannot afford to force a job change as it would cost them more to retrain someone than they saved from the cut.

Bob in Lake Havasu
September 10, 2012 03:36AM
Bob in Everett
A cut that size is going to be very noticeable. Hope you have some reserves. As always, employee and temporary is redundant. I have had pay cuts from companies I worked for in the past. Not that painful however. At least with a company, if one is a very productive employee they cannot afford to force a job change as it would cost them more to retrain someone than they saved from the cut.

Note: is not my company who is cutting, is the government increasing (again) taxes to cover their crappy job of controlling public expenses.
Portugal is now the second EU country with higher taxes related to income, while not even TOP ten on income values. Minimum wage is 485€, about 400 after taxes.
Europe is being destroyed, Greece is almost done, Spain and Italy are under attack. The "poverty frontier" shifted from north Africa to South o Europe. Some are quite happy, while entire countries are demolished and sold in pieces. hot smiley
Not the greatest time to go get a 5 year loan on a car...:giveup:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login