Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What are the RWD options today without the BMW $$$?

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
Just wondering what's current; ie less than 10 years old and fun to drive.
Obviously the Miata would be in the running but what else is there...I'm not the least bit interested in any modern BMW or Audi?
Peter,
Still seems like only the E-30 will suffice. You just need to give in to the inevitable and get one.

I just got a few parts off one that was just parted out. insurance totaled it. It could have been fixed with a bit of parts procurement from the wrecking yard. Had a near new rebuilt motor and only 135k miles on the body. The owner gave it up way too easily and sold off a bunch of stuff that would have made it too expensive to start with after I saw it. The parts that I know of that came off it brought over 3000 bucks.

Another car with no damage is for sale for less and would have made great doner for all the parts needed with lots left over and the two cars were the same color. Just a missed opportunity I guess.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Peter, would you seriously consider a good E30? Every once in a while, I will see a nice rust free E30 for sale here in SoCal.

alan
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Obviously the Miata would be in the running but what else is there...I'm not the least bit interested in any modern BMW or Audi?

Are we talking new cars?, or cool older ones :rally:
rkj
O, I understand the question a little better..... thinking
rkj
I would consider the 318ti Peter, I know you'll like it. Or an older E36 325 or 328 5speed or one of my favorites the E46 3 series, Really fun cars. I also like older 320 Mercs, great cars that work well for a long time.

For me though, it's all about weight. The 528 I just bought is really a fun big car. If I had a little more money to spend I would've bought an E39 530, definitly my choice for a big persons car!
I can tell you first hand an E46 is fun to drive, and pretty reliable. Bought mine 2 years and 2 months ago, 121.000 km on the clock. Last week I've put 221.000 on it and still going strong. Hasn't let me down, except for the cat (broken weld) that needed replacement 4 months after I bought it.
Round here they come pretty affordable.
Thanks for all the enabling and encouragement guys :dance:

But, I'm looking for something I won't have to spend a lot of retirement dollars to keeping running. Don't forget, I had the iX and while it didn't break the bank it had other ancillary costs like insurance and BMW(bring my wallet) that I will no longer tolerate.
The E30 was a wonderful car but they are 25 years old an no amount of love will ever make them fuel efficient and inexpensive to keep in top condition.

Suggestions of the E46 are promising as I looked long and hard at them before getting the fuel sipping peanut car that now has a band aid on it.

The old basic E30 318i was perfect but I want that car and the trouble free motoring with close to today's fuel economy for a 1.8 litre engine.

I don't really want a Mazda.
Wonder if the Nissan 240 is any good winking smiley
Peter,
There really is more to life than gas mileage. My E-30 is more of a hobby than a necessity so I enjoy working on it and keeping it looking nice. I get a lot of comments on how it looks and sure do enjoy driving it. I hope I can drive it until can't drive any more. No matter what the maintenance cost is, it is still less than the depreciation on a new car.

Bob in Lake Havasu
[www.bmwpugetsound.com]

A really nice red one available here in puget sound.

Bob in Lake Havasu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 05:21PM by Bob in Everett.
It's a beautiful car to be sure but I'm definitely not a cabrio type.

If I were to find the right project car; I might grab it to play with. It would be a week end driver and if it qualified, would get collector plates and the insurance rates that go along with that smiling smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

If I were to find the right project car; I might grab it to play with. It would be a week end driver and if it qualified, would get collector plates and the insurance rates that go along with that smiling smiley

Yeah, that's a problem, living with one of the best platforms Bmw ever made. We here have all been spoiled, but as Peter says, the mpg could be a little better. I've never done better than 19-24 :eyes:

I can remember getting around 30+ with the 318ti 5speed though. Now that's fun and economy I can live with!, and little by little we were building up one fine little car untill that deer took it outsad smiley seven grand out the window!

The collector's car insurance has been a real plus for me thumbs up 200 a year is a fine sum to pay for a year of insurance.

Peter, is it possible to acess cars on the left coast, there must be a good selection to choose from if you're willing to travel a bit, right?

Rick
[www.bmwpugetsound.com]

How about this one??

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Yeah, that's a problem, living with one of the best platforms Bmw ever made. We here have all been spoiled, but as Peter says, the mpg could be a little better. I've never done better than 19-24 :eyes:

I can remember getting around 30+ with the 318ti 5speed though. Now that's fun and economy I can live with!, and little by little we were building up one fine little car untill that deer took it outsad smiley seven grand out the window!

The collector's car insurance has been a real plus for me thumbs up 200 a year is a fine sum to pay for a year of insurance.

Peter, is it possible to acess cars on the left coast, there must be a good selection to choose from if you're willing to travel a bit, right?

Rick

I am on the left, wet coast :laugh:

If I could get a good solid 30+ mpg combined driving, I would be happy to take on another E30. That's probably not realistic without an engine transplant from a modern car though.

The 318Ti is still very appealing to me but all of the ones I find around here are autos and I'm done with that method of gear changing winking smiley

You know; as crappy as the little old S-10 was; I miss it :boohoo:

Lots of time for looking so the right machine will come along just when I can afford it :cool2:
Same old problem M20B25 fuel economy sucks by today's standards. I don't have to get 50mpg but a minimum of 30 would be nice winking smiley
Peter,
A 40 mpg car that performs like an E-30 is not in the realm of possible physics yet. I can get 30 mpg highway mileage from my stock 325i cabrio but I have to drive somewhat sedatly. I get 23 mpg combined city/highway. The differential from the eta version would get you close to 30. If you do a cost benefit analysis though, the depreciation expense of a newer car coupled with the insurance and license cost, and take into account the difference in gas mileage...the E-30 is likely to make economic sense.
A transplant of the motor from an E-36 would get closer to 30mpg but the expense takes quite a few miles to pay out. I have thought about doing it myself and missed a great opportunity to pick up an E-36 M3 motor for the swap but chickened out.

I have traded cars in the past after driving them a hundred thousand miles or so because I was sort of tired of them. I have 100k miles in the seat of my E-30 the past 8 years and am not tired of it yet. I gave up 30/35 mpg with my Honda Accord for the E-30 just because I was tired of driving it. It was not near the fun I have now.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
Bob in Everett
Peter,
A 40 mpg car that performs like an E-30 is not in the realm of possible physics yet. I can get 30 mpg highway mileage from my stock 325i cabrio but I have to drive somewhat sedatly. I get 23 mpg combined city/highway. The differential from the eta version would get you close to 30. If you do a cost benefit analysis though, the depreciation expense of a newer car coupled with the insurance and license cost, and take into account the difference in gas mileage...the E-30 is likely to make economic sense.
A transplant of the motor from an E-36 would get closer to 30mpg but the expense takes quite a few miles to pay out. I have thought about doing it myself and missed a great opportunity to pick up an E-36 M3 motor for the swap but chickened out.

I have traded cars in the past after driving them a hundred thousand miles or so because I was sort of tired of them. I have 100k miles in the seat of my E-30 the past 8 years and am not tired of it yet. I gave up 30/35 mpg with my Honda Accord for the E-30 just because I was tired of driving it. It was not near the fun I have now.

Yup, here again it's the same story. There have been times when I've had to drive other cars for a while then getting back in to my car I really see (or is that feel) what a treausure the E30 is. Even this new E39, which is a first class sports sedan, gets tiresome. I guess the 3 series is just right for me, the right E30 with a recaro seat is hard to beat.

The only thing is finding a clean strong example. I wouldn't want to go through that again! Peter, you'll find a stick ti, just look often. Make it a routine, that's how I found 528/5....

Rick
Bob in Everett
Peter,
There really is more to life than gas mileage. My E-30 is more of a hobby than a necessity so I enjoy working on it and keeping it looking nice. I get a lot of comments on how it looks and sure do enjoy driving it. I hope I can drive it until can't drive any more. No matter what the maintenance cost is, it is still less than the depreciation on a new car.

Is there? I just computed the fuel spent over July, 355€ total, same as June. :hitwithrock:
As much as we enjoy owning and driveing older cars, tehy were built considering the fuel cost then, and now the deal is completely different.
One thing is having the good old car to drive now and then for fun, another is having to relly on a car to be mobile...

This is me, crushed under gasoline bills and looking for a new mobile solution!

JP
Archeo-peteriX

Saddly, Industry moved away from RWD, except for BMW, MBenz and exotics ($$$$$).
Even pseudo-SUV are based on FWD now. sad smiley

So, we are stuck with older BMW or MB.
So much? Running on gas? Do you do a lot of driving? That's a lot you mentioned!

In 26 months I've poured 7415€ in my trustworthy diesel, little over 100.000 km. That's about 285€/month, in fuel. In total, the car has cost me around 21.000€ now (buying price, insurances, taxes, maintenance, fuel,...). Hope I can keep it another 3 years at this pace.
Michiel 318iS
So much? Running on gas? Do you do a lot of driving? That's a lot you mentioned!

In 26 months I've poured 7415€ in my trustworthy diesel, little over 100.000 km. That's about 285€/month, in fuel. In total, the car has cost me around 21.000€ now (buying price, insurances, taxes, maintenance, fuel,...). Hope I can keep it another 3 years at this pace.

This last couple months were all new for me, I am living at my parents and comuting 50km each way, plus extra trips now and then, I ended up driving about 3200 km each month , on my old Citroen BX16TRS (carburated). At elast it is very confortable to ride! grinning smileyThe down side is it is very old, and all that driving is taking it's toll, the list of things to fix is becoming quite big. :rolleyes:
Useful:

[www.spritmonitor.de]

Considering similar cars, I am doing just fine.
:dance:
At least you still drive a BX, I hardly ever see one around here. CX's are cool too, but very rare nowadays.
Michiel 318iS
At least you still drive a BX, I hardly ever see one around here. CX's are cool too, but very rare nowadays.

Yesterday I helped a young dutch couple that is Hitchhiking all te way to Moroco (or so they said), tehy found amusing that the car is older than them!

The CX are exquisite and rare, BX were plentifull at their time, but are becoming rare today. Mine is fine to drive around, but too beat-up to restore and keep.

I am considering a new car, saw this white e34 525tds, but I fear the maintenance as I can't afford another project. sad smiley
Good e30 are either too old, too beat up or too expensive for me. E36 come at good price, but not the body style I like most...
Needless to say the budget is super tight, must find something under 15cents per km, purchase fuel and maintenance included.
I guess I will end up with a motorbike! :wall:
Sad but true my enthusiast brothers.

I myself am looking to get rid of the E30, (don't tell her though), the cost of fuel is just spiraling out of control; not to mention the random problems of an old ass car that slowly affect fuel economy.
It kills me, but she has to go. sad smiley I'll never rid myself of E30 love though, I'm on my seventh and I'm still not satisfied but that's the way she goes. :bow:

As for a good RWD, I would suggest the Honda S2000.

Say what you will, but they are extremely reliable, nice cars. If I suddenly hit a jackpot, I'd definitely invest in one, and I hate Hondas more than Scions.

And that's a lot. I suggest googling the consumer reports on the S2000, not my first choice but I think I'd swear by them.

Cheers. smileys with beer
When money is tight, the enthusiasm has to give way to reason.
I ended up with the w124, it's returning me below 7l/100km as expected and I am not in big trouble to pay for it, as long as I have a job that pays.
If I like it a lot?
Not really, it's OK and I am content with it but not the first choice in my book.
If I could afford anything better or more to my liking?
No, and not even sure if I will be able to own any car at all half year from now!
:boohoo:
Since this has come up again, there's always the new Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S/Toyota 86 (that's all one car). It's kind of boy-racerish, and at $25K-$30K not real cheap, but cheaper than a new BMW and looks interesting.

Dave_G
Since this has come up again, there's always the new Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S/Toyota 86 (that's all one car). It's kind of boy-racerish, and at $25K-$30K not real cheap, but cheaper than a new BMW and looks interesting.

I really thought both these cars would change everything. It's early in their production so maybe things will happen...

Cheers, Rick
rkj
Dave_G

I really thought both these cars would change everything. It's early in their production so maybe things will happen...

Cheers, Rick

I'm pretty sure that everything today is about 'fluff' and 'green'. The days of the real driving machine are over and the only ones we're ever going to get are the classics.

As soon as I win the lottery; I'll be getting another E30 or maybe even and E24...remember the one that 'Hawk' drove on that detective series where the hero lived in an old fire station in Boston?

The fellow who owns and runs my favourite pub has a 635 CSi that is immaculate. Too bad he wants more than I could buy a new 1er for sad smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Dave_G

Cheers, Rick

I'm pretty sure that everything today is about 'fluff' and 'green'. The days of the real driving machine are over and the only ones we're ever going to get are the classics.

As soon as I win the lottery; I'll be getting another E30 or maybe even and E24...remember the one that 'Hawk' drove on that detective series where the hero lived in an old fire station in Boston?

The fellow who owns and runs my favourite pub has a 635 CSi that is immaculate. Too bad he wants more than I could buy a new 1er for sad smiley

I've always loved the 6 series cars (635 csi and the like), unfortunately though, they are such fuel hogs. For me that takes the fun out of it. Wonderful cars though, great design.

I'd hate to think the time of simple sports car is dead just yet but we'll see if these few cars get any action. I sure hope so but like you say peter, we'll always have older sports cars that are truly drivers cars... You just have to find one worth investing time and money in to. Part of the fun I guess smiling smiley

I never saw that show you're talking about, he drove a six series I take it thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login