Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What are the RWD options today without the BMW $$$?

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Dave_G
Since this has come up again, there's always the new Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S/Toyota 86 (that's all one car). It's kind of boy-racerish, and at $25K-$30K not real cheap, but cheaper than a new BMW and looks interesting.

I really thought both these cars would change everything. It's early in their production so maybe things will happen...

Cheers, Rick

I'm pretty sure that everything today is about 'fluff' and 'green'. The days of the real driving machine are over and the only ones we're ever going to get are the classics.

As soon as I win the lottery; I'll be getting another E30 or maybe even and E24...remember the one that 'Hawk' drove on that detective series where the hero lived in an old fire station in Boston?

The fellow who owns and runs my favourite pub has a 635 CSi that is immaculate. Too bad he wants more than I could buy a new 1er for sad smiley

I've always loved the 6 series cars (635 csi and the like), unfortunately though, they are such fuel hogs. For me that takes the fun out of it. Wonderful cars though, great design.

I'd hate to think the time of simple sports car is dead just yet but we'll see if these few cars get any action. I sure hope so but like you say peter, we'll always have older sports cars that are truly drivers cars... You just have to find one worth investing time and money in to. Part of the fun I guess smiling smiley

I never saw that show you're talking about, he drove a six series I take it thumbs up

Remember the TV series "Moonlighting", there was one six in silver color, don't know if it was the CSi, but it was automatic.
Someone mentioned the 318ti. Personally, I'm not a fan. I just can't get over the awkward styling; the proportions don't look right at all.

I would go for the E36 318is coupe or 1.9L Z3 instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 10:24AM by Emre (OO=[][]=OO).
Emre (OO=[][]=OO)
Someone mentioned the 318ti. Personally, I'm not a fan. I just can't get over the awkward styling; the proportions don't look right at all.

I think the Ti was suggested as it shares the same rear end suspension as the E30. Ove likened the Ti to being the closest to E30 handling.
The other E36 models have a newer suspension package.
Archeo-peteriX
I think the Ti was suggested as it shares the same rear end suspension as the E30.
The Z3 has the same semi-trailing arm rear suspension. Handling is similar to the 318ti. Compared to the E30, the Z3 is maybe a bit more "snappy" at the limit due to the short wheelbase. But not too different.
What are you driving these days if not a BMW?
Archeo-peteriX
What are you driving these days if not a BMW?
My "daily driver" is a Peugeot 405 Mi16 sedan. I put that in quotes because I live in lower Manhattan and commute by subway; the Pug hardly ever leaves the parking deck.

My toy car is a Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 that we've built for vintage racing: cage, coilovers, Brembos, Webers, etc. It pretty much sits in storage all year and only comes out for track weekends.

I guess I have a thing for twin-cam four bangers from the late-'80s.
I guess the 405 was the last Peugeot to be sold in the US. For its class I find it a good looking car, especially in the sportier trims (which car isn't?).
The W201 2.3-16 is just a legend, just as the M3, still a very good looking car.
The w201 was designed to go after the BMW and Audi market segment, the most profitable then.
Back in the day it was a very fast and capable car!

I had no idea there were Peugeot 405 in the US, I have the cousin Citroen BX, same engine block, hidropneumatic suspension and aerodynamic body. Sadly mine has not the 2L-16v, or it would be a collectors piece, a friend of mine had one and used as daily driver! :o
It just got new rotors and pads all around for 160€, and passed the yearly inspection today with no remarks! :cool2:
Michiel 318iS
I guess the 405 was the last Peugeot to be sold in the US.
That's right. Mine is a '91 MI16, which was the last model sold in the USA before Peugeot pulled out of the market completely. Renault stopped selling cars here in the mid-'80s nad Citroen even earlier than that.

Michiel 318iS
For its class I find it a good looking car, especially in the sportier trims (which car isn't?).
I agree. It has classic lines, much like the Alfa Romeo 164. Both were penned by Pininfarina...and I guess they got lazy :laugh: I find the 405 Mi16 the sportier of the two. The Recaro seats are awesome. The steering feel is in a whole different league (the Alfa is quite numb). And the twin-cam, all-alloy 1.9L engine is a real peach. The later 2.0L engines were also fantastic, but they had a heavier iron block.

Michiel 318iS
The W201 2.3-16 is just a legend, just as the M3, still a very good looking car.
The M3 looks much more exciting. But the 2.3-16 does have a certain understated charm.

Jose Pinto
I had no idea there were Peugeot 405 in the US, I have the cousin Citroen BX, same engine block, hidropneumatic suspension and aerodynamic body.
I love the BX! There's justy something about French cars I love, especially the compacts. For whatever reason, French cars never gained popularity here in the USA. I've never understood why.
rkj
Emre (OO=[][]=OO)

A few years ago my younger daughter and I bought a 97 318ti/5 and we both fell in love with it. That car covered all the bases and still gave great mileage. A deer totalled it but I'm always on the look out for another :wavey: as long as it's a stick. It was a little weird looking but we got over that quickly.

Cheers, Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login