June 25, 2012 06:18PM
Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself and share this video I just finished about a guy I know and his '87 E30 that has been his daily driver for the last 20 years, since he was 18! I am working on a series of short videos that explore cool cars and peoples relationships with them. This is my first one, and I thought sharing it with a bunch of BMW enthusiasts would be a great place to start!

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy!

[vimeo.com]
June 25, 2012 10:04PM
Excellent story. I to have an E-30 I enjoy driving and maintaining. Just had John the Dent Guy remove all the door dings from both sides of the car and it sure looks nice again. Now I have to be careful where I park to keep it looking that way.

Bob in Lake Havasu
June 26, 2012 09:06AM
Bought my E30 in April 1984, still my daily driver.

alan
June 26, 2012 12:24PM
Just out of curiousity, how did he remove the dents? I took a course in paintless dent removal a couple of years ago, but there's a couple of techniques.
June 26, 2012 12:41PM
Makes me want to get mine back on the road. Will take another couple of years I guess...
June 26, 2012 06:53PM
He went in between the window and the door through the gap with the window down with some long tools and pushed them out. There is one area where there is a very slight ripple left but overall I am pretty happy with the result. On the rear quarter panel he put the top partly folded up and went inside of the body from the top stowage compartment. He was thinking he might need to drill a hole in the door by the lock mechanism that he could put a plastic plug in afterward. He did not have to drill any holes afterall.

There was one fender he thought he would have to take the inner fender liner out to get at so I did not have him do that one. Saved about $100 off his price to skip that one.

Bob in Lake Havasu
June 27, 2012 09:55AM
That's what I learned to do, we call it 'spooning' it out. It's actually massaging the metal plate at one side of the dent to get it back to flat. Take some time to learn but is real fun if you can do it. I'd need to pick that up again, it's a shame the toolset is so expensive.
rkj
June 29, 2012 03:41PM
Frazer Spowart
Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself and share this video I just finished about a guy I know and his '87 E30 that has been his daily driver for the last 20 years, since he was 18! I am working on a series of short videos that explore cool cars and peoples relationships with them. This is my first one, and I thought sharing it with a bunch of BMW enthusiasts would be a great place to start!

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy!

[vimeo.com]

Hey Frazer

Tried to load that video a few times and today I finally just waited for the thing. It's a great little Video but the load time should be addressed.

I've had a love affair with Bmw since the late 60's (yes I'm old!) when I went to work for the only dealer out here on the east end. The owner of the placed raced 1500s too and we sold so many Bmws it wasn't funny, we littered the Hamptons with em, some are still here!

It's a special breed for sure but I don't think 'It' defines me. It sure feels nice to drive though :wavey:

Let's see more and welcome, Rick
July 03, 2012 03:37AM
The video loaded fine from here!

His car is impeccable, surely after years of dedication and lot's of work...

:cool2:
July 12, 2012 05:58PM
what a great story and video! the IRONY. i was just talking about Savannah GA today at work (I live in LA but visit GA often, never to Savannah). i drive an 87 too. so uncanny to see his inspection light on, just reset mine, and the brake light on the check panel! fixed that recently too. nice to see the reflectorless bumper trim (from Abrahams?) cuz i've been debating swapping to those. looks clean. great share! thankS!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login