Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Synthetic oils...

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
May 13, 2012 01:10PM
I did my first oil change on the Echo and used Mobile 1 Extended Service Synthetic.
Now I know that Bob P. used to run his E30 for 15k to 18k kms between changes but I wonder if this new stuff; advertised as being good to 20k kms is really that much better than the non-Extended Service oil?

Maybe Bob will drop in with some sage advice smiling smiley

I will be running it out to the 20k mark anyway :dance:
May 14, 2012 07:31PM
If this forum is anything like the vintage VW bus list I am on, you have just opened a huge can of worms. :biggrin: (For the record I would like to say that the mechanical advice seems more reliable here)

I use synthetic oil for 10,000 miles. I use Royal Purple, but I think any of them are good enough for that mileage.

I think you're on the right track.

John
rkj
May 14, 2012 08:56PM
Archeo-peteriX
I did my first oil change on the Echo and used Mobile 1 Extended Service Synthetic.
Now I know that Bob P. used to run his E30 for 15k to 18k kms between changes but I wonder if this new stuff; advertised as being good to 20k kms is really that much better than the non-Extended Service oil?

Maybe Bob will drop in with some sage advice smiling smiley

I will be running it out to the 20k mark anyway :dance:

The only thing I would be sure of is that you break the car in with cheap dino oil, then go with the good stuff. I use it in the bikes but those things are much harder on oils than a car so I can't really say what intervals should be.

Curious, what weight did you use Peter, and is it a solid lifter motor?

Best, Rick smileys with beer
May 15, 2012 03:32AM
John Yust
If this forum is anything like the vintage VW bus list I am on, you have just opened a huge can of worms. :biggrin: (For the record I would like to say that the mechanical advice seems more reliable here)

I use synthetic oil for 10,000 miles. I use Royal Purple, but I think any of them are good enough for that mileage.

John
I thought vintage VW air engines could take any oil, making sure to refill the level often...

:stickpoke:
May 15, 2012 06:57AM
Jose Pinto
John Yust

John
I thought vintage VW air engines could take any oil, making sure to refill the level often...

Yes, and it doesn't matter what brand of anti-freeze you use in the radiator either :dance:
May 15, 2012 07:00AM
The engine has over 100,000km(60,000mi) on it and I have no idea what was used in it previously other than it was always serviced at the dealer.
I refilled it with the 5W30 recommended in the manual. Pretty sure it has hydraulic lifters since it is absolutely quiet smiling smiley
May 15, 2012 10:03AM
Its been a while since I have been on this site - keep having my posts rejected because of suspected 'Hacking' activities.

It is true that I have been using 20K kms intervals for the 325is and often 40K, with sysmthetic You should know that due to a long standing leaking oil pan I needed to make up 5 lires of oil between changes so that is effectively 10 and 20K intervals. Engine still pulling strong at 666,000 kms 18 months ago when I rendered my 88 325is to the boneyard. Body pretty much rusted out and electricals disintegrating.

I am looking at a 1997 E36 M3, however. Presently running an 2007 Imprezza SE with 330,000 kms on it already and using 20K kms oil change intervals there also.

Salut, Bob P.
May 15, 2012 10:21AM
Archeo-peteriX

:

I really don't think that Mobil changed their formula by much, since the 'original' could give 20K kms intervals anyway, but Mobil, back then, just could not convince anybody (including the car manufacturers) that the intervals could be stretched that far. Today, marketing just needs to repackage and rename an old formula and people will buy it.

I don't feel I need to pay more for what I have always been getting in the past.

Just my opinion, though.

Salut, Bob p.
May 15, 2012 11:12AM
Bob P 325is 88
Its been a while since I have been on this site - keep having my posts rejected because of suspected 'Hacking' activities.

It is true that I have been using 20K kms intervals for the 325is and often 40K, with sysmthetic You should know that due to a long standing leaking oil pan I needed to make up 5 lires of oil between changes so that is effectively 10 and 20K intervals. Engine still pulling strong at 666,000 kms 18 months ago when I rendered my 88 325is to the boneyard. Body pretty much rusted out and electricals disintegrating.

I am looking at a 1997 E36 M3, however. Presently running an 2007 Imprezza SE with 330,000 kms on it already and using 20K kms oil change intervals there also.

Salut, Bob P.

Welcome back, you hacker!

My old 323i did the same, the oil was changed "automatically". Just change the filter with the oil each 10k, and refill often.
If the oil is not going to the garage floor, and the engine has good compression, it is being used properly and burned inside the cylinders, so no big deal realy.
The car I drive now has that "problem" as well.
Old airplane engines were lubricated with total loss, meaning the oil was used once and burned or spit to the air...That was nasty.
May 15, 2012 11:31AM
Bob P 325is 88

I really don't think that Mobil changed their formula by much, since the 'original' could give 20K kms intervals anyway, but Mobil, back then, just could not convince anybody (including the car manufacturers) that the intervals could be stretched that far. Today, marketing just needs to repackage and rename an old formula and people will buy it.

I don't feel I need to pay more for what I have always been getting in the past.

Just my opinion, though.

Salut, Bob p.

Then again, the intervals are increasing for new cars, and the requirement for better oil formulations as well.
A coleague of mine has a minivan Mazda 5 turbo diesel, and last service he went to another shop, (cheaper than the dealer).
Few km after, all sorts of red lights came up at the dash, he took it to the dealer and was told he had the wrong oil in and it was changed (again).
He went back to the prevoius shop to complain, and got a refund. This is to say the oil MUST be the required by the engine, or better.
If before, older engines could take pretty much any oil they had, now the requirement must be much more strict to comply with longer intervals and higher compression ratio.

Another coleague of mine has an Alfa Romeo, and left it with the same oil for over 30 thousand km, when it came out it was a thick black pulp...

My "religion" about oil is stick to the manual.
Use better (expensive) oil can't hurt, but probably won't do any good either.
Change oil more often than required will just "mask" the oil loss, better refil and deal with it.

Longer service intervals are common practice in trains and trucks, kind of vehicles that have to stay away from the shop and do as much revenue work as possible. The oil quantity they carry and the filter cartridge size are very different though...
May 15, 2012 11:38AM
The E46 320d with 212.000 km on the clock is greased with BMW approved LongLife oil, 30.000 km intervals, hardly any oil consumption. 0W30 runs like water but doesn't seem to get into the cylinders or to get passed the turbo bearing. I do run longer distances (usually 112 km single drive). Oil filter is changed every interval.

The E30 318iS I serviced when the indicator told me to (as the E46), 10-12.000 km, 10W40 if I'm right, along with the oil filter. 244.000 km on the clock (has been standing for two years already), 1-2 liters consumption per interval (was driven hard, often redlined).
May 15, 2012 11:41AM
Jose Pinto
Old airplane engines were lubricated with total loss, meaning the oil was used once and burned or spit to the air...That was nasty.

That's why the pilots wore scarfs, to clean their goggles as they were oiled as wel.
May 15, 2012 11:43AM
As long as there's greasy stuff in the engine and you do not over stress it, you won't get much damage. Of course, the cleaner the oil, the longer the engine should last but you better drive with bad oil than no oil.
May 15, 2012 06:46PM
Hi Bob,

Figured we could get you to drop in if I posted something you are well acquainted with :wink:

I remembered what you had said about the manufacturers just remarketing the same product for more money...after I had done the oil change. No biggy; I did it myself so instead of $120 or more at the dealer; it only cost me $60 for the oil and a filter; including HST!

Sad to hear the 325iS is gone but I guess these cars just weren't built for Canadian winter road conditions sad smiley
An M3 sounds pretty nice. Will this be your retirement present to yourself?
May 15, 2012 07:48PM
Archeo-peteriX
Jose Pinto

Yes, and it doesn't matter what brand of anti-freeze you use in the radiator either :dance:

See what I mean? Two true statements in a row. Most car forums can't match that. :eyes:

John
May 16, 2012 10:18AM
Archeo-peteriX
Sad to hear the 325iS is gone but I guess these cars just weren't built for Canadian winter road conditions sad smiley

Can't really complain, though, we are talking 22 yrs and 666,000 kms, after all!

Not exactly, since I intend to continue on this contract for another 2 years or so. I don't see myself ever 'retiring', just making life choice changes according to my abilities to earn money to support my travel and car habits.

The M3, BTW is an 1997 with some 200K kms. I shall start negotiating price soon, since owner is looking for about 50% more than the Kelly Blue book.
Salut, Bob P.
May 16, 2012 12:15PM
Mazda has ECU technology that can tell what you put in the crankcase? Now I am impressed!!!

alan
May 16, 2012 02:41PM
alanrw
Mazda has ECU technology that can tell what you put in the crankcase? Now I am impressed!!!

alan
I think it can detect oil starvation, like any half-decent new car should...
:cloud:
rkj
May 16, 2012 04:22PM
Bob P 325is 88
Archeo-peteriX

Can't really complain, though, we are talking 22 yrs and 666,000 kms, after all!

Not exactly, since I intend to continue on this contract for another 2 years or so. I don't see myself ever 'retiring', just making life choice changes according to my abilities to earn money to support my travel and car habits.

The M3, BTW is an 1997 with some 200K kms. I shall start negotiating price soon, since owner is looking for about 50% more than the Kelly Blue book.
Salut, Bob P.

Hi Bob

It seems like a long time since we've seen you here. Too bad, I miss your input. Sorry to hear about the 325is but nothing lasts forever sad smiley

The M3 sounds great, I just bought a 1998 528/5 that had 100k on the clock. Talk about a luxo-cruiser!
Lucy

Cheers, Rick

perseverance furthers
May 17, 2012 09:30AM
rkj
Bob P 325is 88
Archeo-peteriX
Hi Bob

It seems like a long time since we've seen you here. Too bad, I miss your input. Sorry to hear about the 325is but nothing lasts forever sad smiley

Lucy

Cheers, Rick

Actually I have been visited the site all along, but couldn't sign on for some strange reason. Site kept on putting up a 'hacker' warning and refusing to post my comments. I finally requested a new password and 'voila'.

It really pained me to let go of the 325is, even more than my 2002tii in 1976! We (the 325is and I) had been through 22 yrs and 666,000kms together - crossed America and back twice and was only let down twice on the road, both times for fuel pumps giving out. The first time was at 90K kms and second time was at 600K kms.

Here is hoping I can lay my hands on the M3 to ease the pain.

Salut, Bob P.
rkj
May 17, 2012 07:47PM
Good luck with the M3 Bob, you deserve it (as someone once told me). I just started driving my 88 325is/5 yesterday, I was able to get classic car insurance for 175 dollars a year. I was also able to lower my rates for my new daily driver, so I got a two for.

Now that I don't have to worry about having a serious car anymore, the E30 has become my favorite car all over again. Every time I swing open the door and get in, it's like getting in the 2002 it's that good a fit. Also it's given me a chance to see, objectively, what the 30 needs, which isn't much.... I just needed a clear space smileys with beer

Cheers and best
May 18, 2012 05:09PM
You guys are so bad...I am seriously thinking of getting another E30 and doing the vintage/collector thing and having a wonderful machine to drive on week ends.

I can't take it with me when I die so why not enjoy something that has given me so much joy? Right; I know, I don't have all that much disposable income but we should all leave this life having experienced/enjoyed at least one vice...no matter who has to pay; isn't that what all those hefty, monthly life insurance payments are supposed to cover winking smiley
May 21, 2012 01:37PM
Peter, you could get one and keep it for many, many years and then designate it as your casket.

smiling smiley

alan
May 21, 2012 05:33PM
alanrw
Peter, you could get one and keep it for many, many years and then designate it as your casket.

smiling smiley

alan

I don't remember the seat backs reclining that far :lol:
May 21, 2012 06:51PM
Well, when you are ready, let me know, there are some very nice cars here in SoCal. No Rust!!!!

[cgi.ebay.com]

alan
rkj
May 22, 2012 08:20AM
Archeo-peteriX
You guys are so bad...I am seriously thinking of getting another E30 and doing the vintage/collector thing and having a wonderful machine to drive on week ends.

I can't take it with me when I die so why not enjoy something that has given me so much joy? Right; I know, I don't have all that much disposable income but we should all leave this life having experienced/enjoyed at least one vice...no matter who has to pay; isn't that what all those hefty, monthly life insurance payments are supposed to cover winking smiley

I totally agree. It still is so interesting to me that every time I have to drive other cars for a week or a few days, then I get back in to my car how good it feels. Honestly, I've never had a car that fits as well or feels so right or is so easy to see out of. Other than a good seat, short-shifter and a Nardy wheel it is a stock 325is/5.

mytwocents

perseverance furthers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login