Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Okay, a few things.

Posted by rkj 
rkj
March 22, 2012 06:20PM
Hi Guys (and Kelly. Since I've been spoiling myself with the new car and running with the big boys in the left lane- I've been missing the 325is/5 more than ever. I decided to try the antique car insurance route for it. After a few days answering questions, sending a few documents, I have my 1988 325 back, ready for action! (205.00 a year) :clap: They accepted me!

[www.condonskelly.com]

I thought I was a few years too young but it seems 24 years qualified... smileys with beer
March 23, 2012 05:03AM
Sure it does. My car is 25, I pay about 60€ every 3 months.
Includes road assistance, replacement car if (heaven forbid!) the car has to be towed to the shop, and broken glasses.

smileys with beer
March 23, 2012 12:21PM
That's cheap! When mine was my daily driver (no classic car insurance), I paid about € 500 yearly. My E46 is at € 550 if I'm not mistaking.
rkj
March 23, 2012 03:19PM
Jose sez

Sure it does. My car is 25, I pay about 60€ every 3 months.
Includes road assistance, replacement car if (heaven forbid!) the car has to be towed to the shop, and broken glasses.

What would that be in us dollars Jose?

Michiel sez

That's cheap! When mine was my daily driver (no classic car insurance), I paid about € 500 yearly. My E46 is at € 550 if I'm not mistaking.

200 a year IS cheap, more like a gift. I've dealt with these antique car insurance companies a few times (accidents that customers have had) and they pay off without a lot of hassle. You get to write your own policy, within reason of course.

All I know is that I'm feeling lucky to have my wonderful three back on the road, it's the only car that has a hitch too; the trails are waiting...

March 23, 2012 05:35PM
1 USD equals 0,7535€, 1€ equals $1.3271 USD acording to yahoo finance

Insurance cost is calculated considering the value of the car, among other factors. It should be no wonder that older cars have cheaper insurance!
My car was evaluated by the insurance company at 2300€ (rip-of! it's worth 300 at most!).
Problem is, in case of an accident (knock on wood) and someone else destroys my car, I only get a fraction of that value.:redface:

Over her, old car clubs have much cheaper insurance to older cars, provided the car is validated by some classic car club and the owner has another "daily driver".
March 23, 2012 07:19PM
I was refused once for having a tow hitch on my car.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
March 25, 2012 03:33PM
Bob in Everett
I was refused once for having a tow hitch on my car.

I was careful to not include a picture of the rear of the car, I didn't think the hitch would help matters!

I took the policy out with Hagerty, not condon and skelly as previously stated.

[www.hagerty.com]

They have been very helpful so far, and as Jose states, you have to have a regular use car first. Then you can insure your fun car for peanuts. So far though the 5er is turning out to be good fun!.....also.

Every-time I get in the E30 I feel that Bmw called me for how it was to be designed, the car fits like a glove; the minute I sit down I feel everything is where it should be, perfectly.

Rick
March 25, 2012 08:10PM
I know what you mean about the E-30 being so enjoyable. For many years my car crazyness was small block Chevy. I still have three of them but have three BMWs now. Six cars is a bit too many but am not ready to give any of them up yet. Insurance is a huge expense.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login