Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to the E39 5er

Posted by rkj 
rkj
March 03, 2012 06:12PM
So, I'm still on the hunt for a newer car for the Misses. Yesterday we went to look at an E39 and fell in love, it was a 2000 and a stick car with a lot of options. Unfortunately it wasn't the car for us, just too many imperfections but that model, car, has captured our :heart:

Does anybody have one of these or know about them?

Thanks, Rick
March 03, 2012 08:09PM
The E-39 is an awsome car. My son had one for a while and I drove it a couple of times. The M-5 version is a bit more expensive to maintain than the 540 but a rocket ship for sure. [www.bmwpugetsound.com]

Bob in Lake Havasu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 08:10PM by Bob in Everett.
March 03, 2012 11:47PM
Daniel drives (used to drive?) a E39 530i. Haven't seem him around much lately but he's active on Facebook.
rkj
March 04, 2012 11:21AM
Bob in Everett
The E-39 is an awsome car. My son had one for a while and I drove it a couple of times. The M-5 version is a bit more expensive to maintain than the 540 but a rocket ship for sure. [www.bmwpugetsound.com]

What year was your sons car Bob? I think I'm (did I say I, meant we) willing to get an auto box car if it's clean. Would be a great trip car too, enough room for a few bags and gear for camping. I'm sure I could buy a hitch for the bike trailer...

As much as I like (did I say like....no, love) the M cars I wouldn't even consider the though of buying parts for it and keeping it up. Although the thought of all those new newfangled sensors on the 528's are a bit daunting too, but hey, goes with the territory, and what nice territory it is! Even gets fair mileage.

Cheers, Rick
March 04, 2012 02:56PM
My son had a 2001 M5. It had the manual tranny. Still only got 21 mpg on the freeway, 14 in town. The 540 will do better. My wifes 740iL gets about 25-26 on freeway and 16 around town.

If you have not driven a 740 you might try one. They will all have automatics and perform very well. The automatic boxes however will eventually have issues with reverse and need replacement. For reliability, the manual is my choice.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
March 04, 2012 08:10PM
Bob in Everett
My son had a 2001 M5. It had the manual tranny. Still only got 21 mpg on the freeway, 14 in town. The 540 will do better. My wifes 740iL gets about 25-26 on freeway and 16 around town.

If you have not driven a 740 you might try one. They will all have automatics and perform very well. The automatic boxes however will eventually have issues with reverse and need replacement. For reliability, the manual is my choice.

That must have been a nice one. I think a 5 series is the most I can go; we are 2002/3 series people! The 5 feels like a real luxo wagon smileys with beer

I have two to look at tomorrow.... Rick
March 05, 2012 03:12AM
rkj

That must have been a nice one. I think a 5 series is the most I can go; we are 2002/3 series people! The 5 feels like a real luxo wagon smileys with beer

Perhaps you may consider a newer 1 series, back to the roots?
You feel like you need a large car, but once your used to a smaller one it feels just rigt.
Over here is a good time to go shopping for cars, there is a lot to pick from and crazy discounts. Dealers are no shifting anything, second hand prices dropped...For some reason (call it a new way to set priorities), nobody is buying. The previous model 1 series with 2011 plate, 5 year warranty (as new) plus scheduled maintenance is selling at incredible prices. And is new in the sense never been used at the road by anyone, so it has to be very clean.
March 05, 2012 05:19PM
rkj
[

I feel the same way about that E34 I bought a couple of months ago. It's more of a luxury car than I ever thought I would own, especially with the automatic transmission, but it sure is nice on road trips.

You know, if you bought an E34 you would still have a car with a hood that opens the right way. smiling smiley

John
rkj
March 06, 2012 08:47PM
Jose Pinto
rkj

Perhaps you may consider a newer 1 series, back to the roots?
You feel like you need a large car, but once your used to a smaller one it feels just rigt.
Over here is a good time to go shopping for cars, there is a lot to pick from and crazy discounts. Dealers are no shifting anything, second hand prices dropped...For some reason (call it a new way to set priorities), nobody is buying. The previous model 1 series with 2011 plate, 5 year warranty (as new) plus scheduled maintenance is selling at incredible prices. And is new in the sense never been used at the road by anyone, so it has to be very clean.

That's funny you should say that Jose, I was thinking the same thing on the way home after those two 528's we looked at. I thought we would go to the VW dealer and see if we could get a GTI (it's really the only car I can see making payments on), maybe a left over or an off lease or something. I've looked at a lot of cars and this chase is getting old... I do have one I'm looking at tomorrow and I've got a good feeling about it after looking at pictures and talking to the owner tonight, not the color we want but a good solid car thumbs up

One of those 528's I drove yesterday was so smooth and quiet I fell in love automatically, too bad it had a few to many issues.. I've never driven a car that size that handled so well and went so good! The one tomorrow was ordered with the go fast package; up-graded wheels/tires, suspension, leather etc. and maybe a few other options.... Has 109k but only has two owners.. Yes, let the gods shine tomorrow :bow: please.
rkj
March 06, 2012 08:47PM
John Yust
rkj
[

I feel the same way about that E34 I bought a couple of months ago. It's more of a luxury car than I ever thought I would own, especially with the automatic transmission, but it sure is nice on road trips.

You know, if you bought an E34 you would still have a car with a hood that opens the right way. smiling smiley

John
rkj
March 06, 2012 08:51PM
rkj
John Yust
rkj
[

John

I think the e39 is the nicest car I've ever had the pleasure of driving, the one I'm looking at tomorrow is a stick so it should be fun... I hope.

Will report backsmileys with beer
rkj
March 07, 2012 08:30PM
After going through the car for hours, and driving it for hours (story to come) I handed over 3,300.00 bucks and now I'm the proud new owner of a shiny E39 5speed sports saloon. Wow, what a ride.

The twist is, Janet sez, why don't you register it honey. It seems like it should be your car.... pictures to follow in a few days- I love that girl :heart: and my new car!

Cheers, Rick

perseverance furthers
rkj
March 07, 2012 08:41PM
Had to post two shots that the owner took for the ad.

[i200.photobucket.com]
March 07, 2012 08:42PM
But don't you miss the E-30 just a little? The E-39 is a great car. We have an E-38 and it is an awsome car. I could fling it around the corners just as fast as my E-30 but tires and suspension parts do wear out and they are much more expensive for the E-38. I still enjoy the E-30 and do not hesitate to enjoy it as much as I can.

Congratulations on the new ride. You will enjoy it for sure.

Bob in Lake Havasu
March 08, 2012 04:06AM
Looks good!
Congratulations.
:cool2:
March 08, 2012 12:51PM
Congrats!

Looks like you'll get the opportunity to get to know the vehicle in cleaning it up a bit, I'm sure it is mechanically sound (you bought it after all). Price seems pretty fair to me. What engine is it?
rkj
March 08, 2012 09:49PM
Bob in Everett
But don't you miss the E-30 just a little? The E-39 is a great car. We have an E-38 and it is an awsome car. I could fling it around the corners just as fast as my E-30 but tires and suspension parts do wear out and they are much more expensive for the E-38. I still enjoy the E-30 and do not hesitate to enjoy it as much as I can.

Congratulations on the new ride. You will enjoy it for sure.

The E30 isn't going anywhere, but in the shop for some work. I love that car. I put the first 100 miles on the 5er today bringing it home. What a joy.

I know what you're saying, the new car is a few steps up from the 3 series; one look underneath almost sent this simpleton to the showers... This car is a whole other deal. For now, at 107k, the car is tight and quiet and with those 17 inch rims and wide tires this baby is planted on the road. The original window sticker was in the glove box, sold for 47,000.00 new. It is nice to have a little more room too, the 5 series seems a perfect up-grade for trips. Can't wait to head north to Vermont to see Zephyr, my daughter in law school, and then down south to North Carolina to see my other daughter...

Cheers, Rick
rkj
March 08, 2012 09:53PM
Jose Pinto
Looks good!
Congratulations.
:cool2:

Thanks Jose, what a treat to have a car that totally works. I found myself feeling a touch different today on the way home (maybe a bit privileged) :rally:
rkj
March 08, 2012 10:04PM
Michiel 318iS
Congrats!

Looks like you'll get the opportunity to get to know the vehicle in cleaning it up a bit, I'm sure it is mechanically sound (you bought it after all). Price seems pretty fair to me. What engine is it?

Thanks Michiel

Absolutely, I can't wait to start cleaning it up, and now I have a cabin filter (I've always wanted one of those) to attend to. This car caries the M52 dual vanos motor, only 200 ponies but it has a nice power band, lots of low end grunt and enough upstairs to make any kind of driving fun. It only weighs 3,400 pounds tanked up and loves the back roads.

Cheers, Rick
March 09, 2012 07:02AM
Congrats on your new wheels. You deserve this :cool2:
rkj
March 09, 2012 05:12PM
Archeo-peteriX
Congrats on your new wheels. You deserve this :cool2:

Thanks Peter, I forget when hurricane Irene punched out our cars but it seems like I've been looking for a long time!

My stock is up by nine points but I feel like a new man driving this Baby. I took my thirty out today though and that car is me... Will hurry up and do the brakes and a few things left to do so the car doesn't sit too long. It's my only car with a tow hitch (kinda cuts down on my trail riding).

Pictures to come (good ones this time) and a nice story smileys with beer

Peace my Brothers
March 09, 2012 08:40PM
Rick, did it come with a silk ascot?

smiling smiley

congrats, enjoy it.

alan
March 10, 2012 09:20AM
alanrw

smiling smiley

congrats, enjoy it.

alan

:lol: - ascot, that's funny.

Looks like you really scored, Rick.

John
rkj
March 10, 2012 09:00PM
John Yust
alanrw

smiling smiley

congrats, enjoy it.

alan

John

I'm totally rethinking my outfits these dayssmiling bouncing smiley
March 12, 2012 03:45AM
rkj
John Yust
alanrw

smiling smiley

congrats, enjoy it.

alan

John

I'm totally rethinking my outfits these dayssmiling bouncing smiley

Maybe you will turn into a Teddy Boylan, with the new car and all...
:stickpoke:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login