Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First fuel economy report...

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
December 14, 2011 07:46PM
Well, I filled the little Echo up today.

It produced a very satisfying 45mpg(IMP) for my first week of stop and go commuting with 30kmh being the average speed.

I'll keep records for a while just to see how it goes.

This car is fun to drive...even moreso than the iX was. Of course, I haven't had to drive it in the snow yet winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 07:46PM by Archeo-peteriX.
rkj
December 14, 2011 08:42PM
Archeo-peteriX
Well, I filled the little Echo up today.

It produced a very satisfying 45mpg(IMP) for my first week of stop and go commuting with 30kmh being the average speed.

I'll keep records for a while just to see how it goes.

This car is fun to drive...even moreso than the iX was. Of course, I haven't had to drive it in the snow yet winking smiley

What would that be in usa gallons Peter, and it's FWD, right?
December 14, 2011 09:31PM
That would be around 36mpg(US).
And yes, it's FWD.
December 15, 2011 06:57PM
Peter,
You probably do not have to work on it much either. You will not know what to do with yourself.

Bob in Lake Havasu
December 15, 2011 07:49PM
Bob in Everett
Peter,
You probably do not have to work on it much either. You will not know what to do with yourself.

Fear not; I have a couple of dozen mechanical wrist watches to revive!
rkj
December 15, 2011 10:00PM
Archeo-peteriX
That would be around 36mpg(US).
And yes, it's FWD.

Hmm, 36 is real nice....
December 16, 2011 06:59AM
I just realized my conversion was off a bit...it's closer to 38mpg :cool2:
December 16, 2011 07:25AM
Archeo-peteriX
I just realized my conversion was off a bit...it's closer to 38mpg :cool2:

Is this correct?

[www.eforecourt.com]

Your car uses 7.43l to cover 100km?
December 16, 2011 01:48PM
45 IMP mpg = 6.28 l/100km, which isn't to bad for stop and go traffic.
December 16, 2011 07:49PM
Yes, and I'm very happy with this. In fact, I would be happy if it only achieved this on highway driving...but I think I can now safely expect over 50mpg(IMP) from this little gas sipper smiling smiley
December 23, 2011 01:02PM
Not to disappoint you, but I'm setting a personal record on the E46 at the moment: 3.9 l/100 km (72.4/60.3 IMP/US mpg) on the OBC (which is 4.9 (57.6/48.0 IMP/US mpg) in reality), over 440 km (207 m), averaging just under 90 km/h (56 mph). Hail to my winter tyres (summer tyres are much wider), warm weather (10°C at the end of December) and low traffic density (end of December again)!

Diesel power!
December 23, 2011 06:21PM
I imagine I will get about the same economy when I travel on the highway and can get up over 30Kph winking smiley

Just filled up and calculated my second tank...46.5mpg(IMP).

Apart from the super fuel economy; I love the little engine in this car. It is silky smooth and has a wide torque range. For example, I can easily pull up inclines in 5th gear that had the old S-10 shuddering and gasping for breath in 3rd gear!

It's such a willing littl motor that it pulls away even if you are in the wrong gear...and it doesn't complain smiling smiley

I don't know for sure but I suspect the variable valve timing has a lot to do with it.

Still, it isn't as smooth as the M20 but when it comes 'on cam'; you have to hang on to the steering wheel winking smiley

I'll bet the diesel has even more grunt through the gears with all the usable torque it generates.
These things are getting closer and closer in performance to electric engines smiling smiley
December 27, 2011 05:31PM
Archeo-peteriX
I imagine I will get about the same economy when I travel on the highway and can get up over 30Kph winking smiley

Just filled up and calculated my second tank...46.5mpg(IMP).

Apart from the super fuel economy; I love the little engine in this car. It is silky smooth and has a wide torque range. For example, I can easily pull up inclines in 5th gear that had the old S-10 shuddering and gasping for breath in 3rd gear!

It's such a willing littl motor that it pulls away even if you are in the wrong gear...and it doesn't complain smiling smiley

I don't know for sure but I suspect the variable valve timing has a lot to do with it.

Still, it isn't as smooth as the M20 but when it comes 'on cam'; you have to hang on to the steering wheel winking smiley

I'll bet the diesel has even more grunt through the gears with all the usable torque it generates.
These things are getting closer and closer in performance to electric engines smiling smiley

If you are averaging 30km/h, you get mostly "go" traffic, or regular city driving, or you have a somewhat lengthy stretch of road before you meet the heavy traffic. Anyway, good figures! :cool2:

As for "little motor" that is considering American standards. Over here, those cars sell as "Yaris" and come with 1.0L and 1.33L or diesel, never saw one 1.6L. How we do it? No "silky smooth and has a wide torque range", we shift like hell trough 3-4-5 gears to keep revs high and moving with the flow. In theory, driving very smooth in higher dears it would consume even less than yours!

As for diesel, my sister has a BMW318d. It pulls nicely, but the turbo lag makes itself noticed on the low revs, and the torque decreases sharply above 4000rpm, so always shifting...All new turbo diesels do that, the smaller capacity ones are much worse and can be really annoying to me compared to larger capacity engines.
January 05, 2012 12:17PM
One week's holiday (E46 had a week of rest) I got back to work, we had two days with storm this week and temperatures got a little colder, I ended the fuel tank at 5.24 l/100 km (calculated - 44.9 US and 53.9 IMP mpg), covered 1051 km (653 mls) averaging 88.4 km/h (55 mph).

Not bad for an 8 (almost 9) year old!
January 06, 2012 03:26AM
Michiel 318iS
One week's holiday (E46 had a week of rest) I got back to work, we had two days with storm this week and temperatures got a little colder, I ended the fuel tank at 5.24 l/100 km (calculated - 44.9 US and 53.9 IMP mpg), covered 1051 km (653 mls) averaging 88.4 km/h (55 mph).

Not bad for an 8 (almost 9) year old!

Very well done, considering it is a large saloon and the high average speed!
The age is not the key factor here, you can have a 20 year car working right versus a newer faulty one...
As long as a car can be kept in good condition, it should consume as much fuel as when it was new.
January 06, 2012 12:12PM
Jose Pinto
The age is not the key factor here, you can have a 20 year car working right versus a newer faulty one...
As long as a car can be kept in good condition, it should consume as much fuel as when it was new.

Fuel consumption should remain about the same indeed, what I meant was that it was produced 8 years ago and designed a couple of years earlier, newer cars have more technology that allows them to be able to be more fuel efficient (if the driver does what (s)he has to do).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login