Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, I guess we just keep looking ...

Posted by rkj 
rkj
July 28, 2011 08:37PM
I though maybe a new thread for this, yes, we're at it again :rally:

We finally went to the Mini dealership and drove a new, 2011, turbo and Janet and I had issues with the car. It's a nice car but I (and J too after driving) are both rear wheel drive people and didn't care for the way the mini felt. It's very darty and will take some time to get used to the visibility, or lack of. There was actually quite a few things about the car we had issues with, even the seat belts....

SO, we're off on the hunt again; next stop is the Mazda and VW dealer. I almost got her in a VW last year but ..... I've been a fan of the M-5 ever since it came out so I'm gona make real sure she gets a drive in that one, she has said a cabrio was in her plans so we'll see what that brings. About the same money as the mini but a lot more car in my opinion.

If anybody can think of affordable cars of today worth looking at (even front wheel drive ones) please speak up. I was looking at the Chevy cruze....

Thanks for any help, Rick

perseverance furthers
Might be a difficult search after driving a BMW. My sister drove several cars in her search and when she got to the 530 iX, she decided that was the one.

We heard at the E-30 picnic from the owner of an M3 that he bought new in 1988 and has driven 485,000miles. He says it will turn over 500,000 by the end of the year.
Still on the original engine.

Bob in Everett

Bob in Lake Havasu
We just got a new Toyota Camry. It was what my wife wanted but I am impressed with the level of finish and engineering the car presents. Toyota has a lot of cars in their stable, I assume with the same level of engineering as the Camry.

The VW's do look interesting.

alan
Since car rental places do not have BMW very often, I rented a camry several weeks ago. It was a nice car. Bland but nice. For someone who does not enjoy puttering with their car and doing some sporty driving, it is an adequate car. Good reliability. Parts are more expensive than E-30 parts though.

Bob in Lake Havasu
The search is a pleasure in itself, for some people!

Depending on what you define as "affordable" The Chevy Cruze is priced very competitive in its range.
You are looking for used or new? To buy or lease?
VW are not cheap, and parts and maintenance are very expensive.
The MX-5 looks a fun car to drive, specially on a weekend or holidays but perhaps not the best daily driver...
Have you considered going "green" with Toyota Prius or Honda Insight?

My sister just traded her beat-up 320d for a 318d, 2008 model 4 door. Is a good car, the 6 speed match the engine well, but the interior arrangement is kind of strange to me. I guess i'm stuck in late XXth century cars...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login