Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Decided to adjust my valves

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
July 05, 2011 10:11PM
Spent most of the Independence day weekend changing the timing belt on my cabrio. It only had a little over 40,000 and exactly 4 years on the belt. The belt looked to be in really good condition and not loose at all. It was a good opportunity to do a few other items I had been neglecting. One of them is the valve adjust. They were not noisy but maybe too quiet so thought perhaps not enough clearance with valve wear etc. This takes a lot of patience and a couple of modified feeler guage blades to reach into the correct places. Most of the valves did not have less than 0.010 inches clearance. I did adjust a few but then while driving noticed the car next to me at the light had a loud valve ticking. Same thing at the next light, different car....oh, it is the reflected noise from my own car....had to repeat the process this evening with somewhat better results.

Cannot seem to find the oil leak on the front of the engine. Could it be the camshaft seal? Have never replaced that one. Looked like it would be difficult.

That belt changing is taking more time than it used to for some reason...maybe just more little things to do along with the belt, like oil leaks. Taking a chance this time and not changing the water pump. I had to change it a couple years ago as the one I put in with the new belt last time failed before the belt was needing changing.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
July 06, 2011 03:02PM
Bob in Everett
Spent most of the Independence day weekend changing the timing belt on my cabrio. It only had a little over 40,000 and exactly 4 years on the belt. The belt looked to be in really good condition and not loose at all. It was a good opportunity to do a few other items I had been neglecting. One of them is the valve adjust. They were not noisy but maybe too quiet so thought perhaps not enough clearance with valve wear etc. This takes a lot of patience and a couple of modified feeler guage blades to reach into the correct places. Most of the valves did not have less than 0.010 inches clearance. I did adjust a few but then while driving noticed the car next to me at the light had a loud valve ticking. Same thing at the next light, different car....oh, it is the reflected noise from my own car....had to repeat the process this evening with somewhat better results.

Cannot seem to find the oil leak on the front of the engine. Could it be the camshaft seal? Have never replaced that one. Looked like it would be difficult.

That belt changing is taking more time than it used to for some reason...maybe just more little things to do along with the belt, like oil leaks. Taking a chance this time and not changing the water pump. I had to change it a couple years ago as the one I put in with the new belt last time failed before the belt was needing changing.

Hey Bob, Doing valves takes a little getting used to it. It helps to have a go and no-go feeler set-up (and a stone cold motor) sometimes till you get on a first name basis with those pesky valves but it sounds like you're already there!

Valves and timing belts are things you don't want to rush through anyway smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login