On the way to work, I noticed the brake pedal getting lower and lower with each application. Got out and checked the fluid level; all fine. There were no obvious leaks either, so when I got to the work site; I made a copy of the project I'm working on and headed home to find a mechanic.
Returning home, there was a light drizzle and the roads were quite slick. I was coming down a steep hill that has a sort of an 'S' bend in it when I had to apply the brakes. This is when I discovered that the rear brakes were totally inoperative...the front wheels locked up and I went for a ride up onto the grassy median and then back into my own lane(fortunately) but was fast approaching a stopped car at the light near the bottom of the hill. There was room in the right lane so I allowed the truck to slide over that way and eventually come to a halt against the curb about 10 feet from the intersection.

With my nerves totally jangled, I proceeded cautiously home but had one more nasty surprise when a stupid woman who was yakking away on here cell phone; cut right in front of me. Still having a belly full of adrenalin; I overreacted and locked the front brakes up again. This time th truck did a 360 and I don't know how it missed clobbering that dense woman :eek1:

Anyway, did finally get home and took it to a local mechanic.

I already suspected it was the master cylinder so that part was simple enough; unfortunately one of the rear cylinders had a small leak and the other was partially seized. Ad to that a rusted brake line of marginal safety and I will now have nearly double the money in this truck that it would bring on a used car lot sad smiley

I don't have enough money to buy something better(the money from the iX went to pay property taxes) and since am officially unemployed, it's not likely I'd be getting a car loan.

Even if I had money; I really don't know what I would buy confused smiley
Man, i had a brake failure once or twice and know how it feels.
Couldn't you call road assistance to have the car towed?
My insurance has road assistance, replacement car while car is in the shop and broken glass coverage.
No theft, though. :confused:

I assume your car is automatic, or the "s" road from your story could be safely made in 3rd gear, no sweat.
Jose Pinto
Man, i had a brake failure once or twice and know how it feels.
Couldn't you call road assistance to have the car towed?
My insurance has road assistance, replacement car while car is in the shop and broken glass coverage.
No theft, though. :confused:

I assume your car is automatic, or the "s" road from your story could be safely made in 3rd gear, no sweat.

The S-10 is a small rear wheel drive truck and it is manual.
I was in third gear and the hill is very steep. Add to that the fresh moisture on the dry greasy road and you have a recipe for disaster.
There are major accidents on that hill every week from people losing control(with properly working cars) sad smiley
Archeo-peteriX

I was in third gear and the hill is very steep. Add to that the fresh moisture on the dry greasy road and you have a recipe for disaster.
There are major accidents on that hill every week from people losing control(with properly working cars) sad smiley

Unloaded pick up trucks have the mass distribution way off from optimal, and that adds to the problem.
So you survived certain dead, is almost like you were born again!
Perhaps a less experienced driver would've been scared to death and freeze on the pedal brake, and crash the car.
Good luck for the repair!
Jose Pinto
Archeo-peteriX

Unloaded pick up trucks have the mass distribution way off from optimal, and that adds to the problem.
Perhaps a less experienced driver would've been scared to death and freeze on the pedal brake, and crash the car.

I never really thought about it but I think you're right; my years of experience had me steering the truck out of trouble rather than freezing on the brakes.

The repairs are all done and I guess I didn't get ripped off too badly. My final bill was just shy of $600 which included; master brake cylinder, two brake lines replaced(they were rusted almost through) and a pair of rear wheel brake cylinders plus labour for all of that and the government's extortion taxes.

I was quoted nearly that much for just the master cylinder at one of the local GM stealers sad smiley

The end result is a nice firm brake pedal and a feeling of safety...and I get a 1 year/20,000km warranty on the parts and labour!

Not too shabby smiling smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Jose Pinto
Archeo-peteriX

I never really thought about it but I think you're right; my years of experience had me steering the truck out of trouble rather than freezing on the brakes.

The repairs are all done and I guess I didn't get ripped off too badly. My final bill was just shy of $600 which included; master brake cylinder, two brake lines replaced(they were rusted almost through) and a pair of rear wheel brake cylinders plus labour for all of that and the government's extortion taxes.

I was quoted nearly that much for just the master cylinder at one of the local GM stealers sad smiley

The end result is a nice firm brake pedal and a feeling of safety...and I get a 1 year/20,000km warranty on the parts and labour!

Not too shabby smiling smiley

I hate brakes that go out... glad to hear you made it alright Archie! good luck usually plays a part in the action but pickups do have their own brand of squirreliness. Good save Buddy. :wavey:
Glad you are OK. The money spent is well worth it. It could have had an entirely worse outcome. You can't put a price on safety.

alan
alanrw
Glad you are OK. The money spent is well worth it. It could have had an entirely worse outcome. You can't put a price on safety.

alan

Absolutely!

Now that I've had to spend some money on it; I'll probably have the steering shaft replaced...the universal joint near the firewall is quite sloppy and I'm sure the rag joint isn't much better. That should tighten the steering up a lot and make the truck more fun to drive smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login