Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sticky lifter...

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
April 16, 2011 06:11PM
What is a good oil additive to clean up a sticky hydraulic lifter?

I know we've discussed this before and I think I know the product but just want to make sure.
And no it's not for a wonderful BMW motor but rather for my very fuel efficient S-10 motor winking smiley
rkj
April 16, 2011 07:17PM
Archeo-peteriX
What is a good oil additive to clean up a sticky hydraulic lifter?

I know we've discussed this before and I think I know the product but just want to make sure.
And no it's not for a wonderful BMW motor but rather for my very fuel efficient S-10 motor winking smiley

You might try a quart of atf in the oil Peter.
April 17, 2011 08:52AM
Hi Rick,

I forgot about that old trick. I'm nearly down a quart and ready for an oil change so what I'll do is top it up with ATF and run it for another 1000km before changing it out smiling smiley
April 17, 2011 09:00PM
Interesting to see if that works. I had one get sticky in a Buick V-6 a few years ago and it caused the engine to backfire to the point it was not driveable. I changed all the lifters and went several more years.

When I bought the car the former owner had not changed the oil in about 12,000 miles. I changed it a couple of times in quick succession but I guess the damage was done. It soon had the stuck lifter.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
April 17, 2011 09:25PM
Bob in Everett
Interesting to see if that works. I had one get sticky in a Buick V-6 a few years ago and it caused the engine to backfire to the point it was not driveable. I changed all the lifters and went several more years.

When I bought the car the former owner had not changed the oil in about 12,000 miles. I changed it a couple of times in quick succession but I guess the damage was done. It soon had the stuck lifter.

This is a good point; often the tiny galley ways that feed the lifters in the block will be clogged up and changing the lifter does not always do the trick. There's another thing you could try Peter, seafoam in the oil, I buy it at Napa. It really is cool stuff. If you can't get any there where you are I'll send you some.
April 22, 2011 01:43PM
Many of my acquaintances in the antique car hobby swear by SeaFoam. I have used it with noteworthy success on my 1993 F150 pickup (210K miles). Check it out, it may help.

Andy
1987 325ic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login