Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What else is in the Garage?

Posted by Earendil 
January 25, 2011 05:15PM
Jose Pinto
Michiel 318iS
I often have to reload the page once, at first attempts I get a blank screen, after an F5 I'm usually in.

What browser are you using?

I use Firefox, and MS IE.
When it doesn't work, it's the same for both browsers and at home or work.
:soapbox:

My educated guess using a very tiny bit of information?
The DNS server you use is not updating quickly/at all.

Further Explanation: All servers really use an IP address for a destination and routing. A DNS server translates "www.google.com" to an IP address. If your local DNS server is down, or does not have a reference for that name, there is no IP address and thus your browser does not actually know where to go.
Alternative explanation/analogy: Losing a DNS server is like losing your phone book. It doesn't matter if you still know the name of the restaurant, without a phone number you won't get anywhere.

This is nice, because it means a website can change servers, and not need to update everyone on the new IP address (phone number) for that server, they only need to inform all the DNS servers (phone books) of the change.

Solution? Probably isn't one. DNS servers are relatively automated, and which one you use is automatic to a large degree. This is why you might be reading this having never heard of a "DNS Server" before. You can sometimes manually change the DNS server on your computer, but realize that braking this functionality isn't a good idea smiling smiley

Fun Fact: DNS servers are what allow us all to type "Google.com" and all of us get the nearest and closest google server, instead of a single central one. Again, not unlike looking up the name of a restaurant chain in your local phone book.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
January 26, 2011 06:48AM
Earendil
My educated guess using a very tiny bit of information?
The DNS server you use is not updating quickly/at all.

Further Explanation: All servers really use an IP address for a destination and routing. A DNS server translates "www.google.com" to an IP address. If your local DNS server is down, or does not have a reference for that name, there is no IP address and thus your browser does not actually know where to go.
Alternative explanation/analogy: Losing a DNS server is like losing your phone book. It doesn't matter if you still know the name of the restaurant, without a phone number you won't get anywhere.

This is nice, because it means a website can change servers, and not need to update everyone on the new IP address (phone number) for that server, they only need to inform all the DNS servers (phone books) of the change.

Solution? Probably isn't one. DNS servers are relatively automated, and which one you use is automatic to a large degree. This is why you might be reading this having never heard of a "DNS Server" before. You can sometimes manually change the DNS server on your computer, but realize that braking this functionality isn't a good idea smiling smiley

Fun Fact: DNS servers are what allow us all to type "Google.com" and all of us get the nearest and closest google server, instead of a single central one. Again, not unlike looking up the name of a restaurant chain in your local phone book.

Probably right, as usual!
I could load the page under [bmwe30network.net], but not the forums, probably hosted somewhere else, completely independent from the home page.
While reading, I hoped there would be a cure for it...
:bow:
January 26, 2011 10:53AM
I sometimes would prefer google.com instead of google.be.

Maybe Jose should just write down the forum's phone number and go directly from there instead of checking the phone book.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login