Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gluing and ungluing the rear view mirror :-)

Posted by Kelly 
Hi my dear All,

I hope that you are well! I'm still in zombie mode at work. I manage to work only 3 hours today and 3 hrs yesterday - that is Sat Sun. Oh the fun of it.

Well, the rear view mirror (RVM) fell down last week. I visited the auto parts store for the glue. I glued the RVM button onto the glass perfectly upside down - rotated 180 degrees. I called the store which recommended, miraculously, GooGone (liquid) which I happen to often use. Thank god for a solution.

The greater challenge was applying the GooGone to the underside of the window. Had I been willing to sacrifice an eye dropper, this task would have been a bit easier. Instead, I insisted on a plastic spoon. I covered the dash and center console with rags for the inevitable drips. The bowl part of the spoon was just too large to fit between the window frame and the button. Then I realized that the back side of the spoon handle had a little depression which held the liquid. (Literally, I used the spoon upside down and backwards. Stubbornness was the mother of invention.) About 10 drops was all that I needed,

Then I gently wedged a flat blade screw driver under the edge of the button. The screw driver was basically parallel to the window and held up by the button. I decided to allow the chemicals to work overnight. The next morning, the screw drive had fallen onto the dash on the rags. I grabbed the button with my fingers and it popped off. Yahoo!

I cleaned up the mess, used alcohol on the glass, and reglued with a new tube of RVM glue.

So, If you ever glue a RVM button in the wrong place...

Cheers! Kelly
Hi Kelly,

Great to hear from you again. Sorry that work isn't so much fun sad smiley

Thanks for the great tutorial on RVM removal and installation. I know this will be a pain saver for anyone who has to do it.

Sure hope you get more time in Beemie with all this great weather smiling smiley
Once I had to glue the RVM on a car of mine, I had it done at a car glass shop, they did it in a minute or so...

But next time I may want to do it myself, and is good to know there is a "plan B" if the result is not satisfactory...

:dance:
The glass shop that did mine during a replacement managed to glue the mirror to the metal piece too. Got it off alright to change the window again but it was a challenge to get the whole assembly glued to the window in the right place and hold it still while the glue dried.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
Kelly
Hi my dear All,

I hope that you are well! I'm still in zombie mode at work. I manage to work only 3 hours today and 3 hrs yesterday - that is Sat Sun. Oh the fun of it.

Well, the rear view mirror (RVM) fell down last week. I visited the auto parts store for the glue. I glued the RVM button onto the glass perfectly upside down - rotated 180 degrees. I called the store which recommended, miraculously, GooGone (liquid) which I happen to often use. Thank god for a solution.

The greater challenge was applying the GooGone to the underside of the window. Had I been willing to sacrifice an eye dropper, this task would have been a bit easier. Instead, I insisted on a plastic spoon. I covered the dash and center console with rags for the inevitable drips. The bowl part of the spoon was just too large to fit between the window frame and the button. Then I realized that the back side of the spoon handle had a little depression which held the liquid. (Literally, I used the spoon upside down and backwards. Stubbornness was the mother of invention.) About 10 drops was all that I needed,

Then I gently wedged a flat blade screw driver under the edge of the button. The screw driver was basically parallel to the window and held up by the button. I decided to allow the chemicals to work overnight. The next morning, the screw drive had fallen onto the dash on the rags. I grabbed the button with my fingers and it popped off. Yahoo!

I cleaned up the mess, used alcohol on the glass, and reglued with a new tube of RVM glue.

So, If you ever glue a RVM button in the wrong place...

Cheers! Kelly

Nice going Kelly, the only thing that made me cringe was the screw driver part. I think a good razor blade with a proper holder/handle might be a better idea, windshields like to crack easier than you think!, but all and all a very helpful post to a very tricky problem. Again, well done thumbs up

Cheers, Rick

ps, lunch is on me next time smileys with beer
rkj

Nice going Kelly, the only thing that made me cringe was the screw driver part. I think a good razor blade with a proper holder/handle might be a better idea, windshields like to crack easier than you think!, but all and all a very helpful post to a very tricky problem. Again, well done thumbs up

Cheers, Rick

ps, lunch is on me next time smileys with beer

Rick, why would Kelly have a razor blade?!

:stickpoke:
To get rid of her toe-hairs?
Michiel 318iS
To get rid of her toe-hairs?

Come on...she's not a Hobbit :hitwithrock:
She might not be a Hobbit but you sure do resemble a Taliban member, you stone thrower.
What do the christians say? He without sin cast the first stone?
Michiel 318iS

Michiel,

I'm sorry if I have somehow offended you sad smiley
Archeo-peteriX
Michiel 318iS

Michiel,

Come on, you two!
Everyone knows cute girls don't have bodyhair.
And when some lonely hair starts to appear, they use lasers, or wax, or lotions or other fancy things. Blades are for dudes.

:boohoo:
rkj
Jose Pinto
Archeo-peteriX
Michiel 318iS

Michiel,

Come on, you two!
And when some lonely hair starts to appear, they use lasers, or wax, or lotions or other fancy things. Blades are for dudes.

Guys, GUYS, stop acting like guys! I'd like to keep the one girl we have here, well, here... :wavey:
rkj
Jose Pinto
Archeo-peteriX
Michiel 318iS

Michiel,

Come on, you two!

Guys, GUYS, stop acting like guys! I'd like to keep the one girl we have here, well, here... :wavey:
So would I and that's why I tried to diffuse Michiel's joke.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything as I'm sure Kelly is more than strong enough to absorb this kind of guy humour.
Of course; I've probably made it even worse now so I'll shut up and go play with my watches(no E30 to tinker with anymore sad smiley ).
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Jose Pinto
Archeo-peteriX
Michiel 318iS

Michiel,

Come on, you two!

So would I and that's why I tried to diffuse Michiel's joke.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything as I'm sure Kelly is more than strong enough to absorb this kind of guy humour.
Of course; I've probably made it even worse now so I'll shut up and go play with my watches(no E30 to tinker with anymore sad smiley ).

We really should do something about that Peter. Do you have craigs list where you are. I live a hundred miles from nyc and I'm finding deals galore these days, whats a hundred miles in the big scheme of things smileys with beer
There was a fixer on the local club forum here in Seattle.

Bob in Lake Havasu
As much as I would like another E30; my financial climate just wouldn't support it sad smiley
My RVM cracked my windshield making a drive-time adjustment; imagine my surprise. Thankfully D******t T**e later put a good crack in the side of the windshield using air tools to fix a tire leak and paid for a replacement glass. The windshield was so pitted from 20 + years of granular impacts, it was like a new day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login