Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, the good news smiling smiley

Posted by rkj 
rkj
November 18, 2013 09:34PM
The good news, after a few months of thinking I bought a stinker, turns out like this; my new E46 was using a quart of oil every 600 miles (on new oil) so I bought a complete "Crankcase ventilation kit" and had it put on by a friend of mine (my back just can't take a job like that right now). When I got the car back I changed the oil again, this time I'm trying Rotella T6 5-40. There's something about this oil I like. After 6000 miles (I checked it today) the oil level dropped next to nothing so I'm calling it a win :eyes:

The other good news is, big surprise!, I love this 330/6 so much, it's the most fun to drive car I've ever owned. I've had a chance to really hang this little guy out and it's just the best time ever!

It is a little on the pricey side parts wise (and labor, cause a lot of stuff really does need a lift) but sooo worth it. Perfect balance and fast enough. Every thing about this car is just right.

Time for some new pix, I took the numbers off the trunk and have started to make it mine (in other words, It's so dirty :burnout: from all the driving and testing...

Cheers from paradise, Rick
November 19, 2013 02:43AM
Had to look up how much was one quart, it's about one litre. tongue sticking out smiley
There is no mistake, 1L per 1000km.
That's a bit on the high side, like my old Citroen does, only that you are using much thinner oil than I have in the citroen.
My late 323i did that as well, when new and very thinn oil was put in it.
I never did nothing about it, except using the BMW specified oil, and it turned out normal oil usage.

Why do you call it a "stinker"? Looks like a perfectly good car to me!
rkj
November 19, 2013 12:09PM
Jose Pinto
Had to look up how much was one quart, it's about one litre. tongue sticking out smiley
There is no mistake, 1L per 1000km.
That's a bit on the high side, like my old Citroen does, only that you are using much thinner oil than I have in the citroen.
My late 323i did that as well, when new and very thinn oil was put in it.
I never did nothing about it, except using the BMW specified oil, and it turned out normal oil usage.

Why do you call it a "stinker"? Looks like a perfectly good car to me!

Well, when I buy a car I always hold my breath for a few months untill it all works out okay- (I do this occasionaly for customers, I'm in the car biz). The first day out the oil light came on at idle (just a bad sending unit) then this bussiness of a quart every 600 miles.... Not Good! (I thought I bought a Stinker!. Can happen to anybody...)

So it's taken a few months to shake this one out but it looks better and better as time goes on, hopefuly it will stay on course :bow:
November 19, 2013 02:12PM
That crankcase vent kit, was it any different than what already was on the car? i know on the diesels there's been a change from a foam filter to a vortex type filter, due to oil pullover and runaway engines.
November 19, 2013 05:20PM
Michiel 318iS
That crankcase vent kit, was it any different than what already was on the car? i know on the diesels there's been a change from a foam filter to a vortex type filter, due to oil pullover and runaway engines.

I think the 330Ci is a straight six, 24 valve gasoline grinning smiley
Must be loads of fun to drive.
rkj
November 19, 2013 08:44PM
Michiel 318iS

I don't know to much about the kit but yes, the new hoses are all insulated with special coverings and the valve is an improved unit. On the gas motors the drain for the system is in the dipstick tube- a common problem area because it tends to clog up and the condensted mix of oil and water can freeze in the colder winter months. When that happens the motor starts to presurize and oil starts coming out of everywhere and can lead to hydrolock; motor done!

On mine the dipstick drain was clear and open but the valve was shot and all the hoses were brittle. This system is a drag to get to and I gladly paid 500 bucks to have it done (I watched a few videos of people doing it). I was so happy to see no more oil consumtion....

I have no idea what "oil pullover and runaway engines" are all about but it doesn't sound good...
rkj
November 19, 2013 08:48PM
Jose Pinto
Michiel 318iS

I think the 330Ci is a straight six, 24 valve gasoline grinning smiley
Must be loads of fun to drive.

Yes, it's a 3 litre 6 speed with a 50/50 weight balance that just loves to drift all four. It's a little on the stiff side but so much fun on all kinds of roads, the M54 is a dream to live with.
November 21, 2013 12:48PM
Sounds like the gas engines were a little different. Oil pullover happens when oil gets from the crankcase vent into the intake, making the engine run on oil instead of fuel, with no possibility to control it, keying off won't shut it down. Happens easily on a diesel. If your quick and have a manual, you can put it in a higher gear and dump the clutch. If not, bye bye engine.

Youtube
rkj
November 21, 2013 07:46PM
Michiel 318iS
Sounds like the gas engines were a little different. Oil pullover happens when oil gets from the crankcase vent into the intake, making the engine run on oil instead of fuel, with no possibility to control it, keying off won't shut it down. Happens easily on a diesel. If your quick and have a manual, you can put it in a higher gear and dump the clutch. If not, bye bye engine.

Youtube

Yikes, that looks awful. I don't know a super lot about diesels and I've never seen that happen...
November 22, 2013 03:12AM
rkj
Michiel 318iS

Youtube

Yikes, that looks awful. I don't know a super lot about diesels and I've never seen that happen...

Diesels do that. Had a friend toast an engine that way, not fun. Put 5th and dump the cluth may damage the clutch or gearbox, but is the way to go when it happens.
That's why it is so important to keep oil level below maximum.

I heard a story of that happening on a train locomotive, with ALCO Diesel V-16 engine.
http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?vgnextoid=b700d60d8a675010VgnVCM1000007b01a8c0RCRD

Those shake the floor at idle, now imagine reving past redline and out of control!
The maintenance facility was evacuated and the locomotive burned down completely. 121ton of scrap.
December 11, 2013 08:08AM
All cylinders allow a small amount of blowby from rings and valves. My 325i spring loaded straight tube vent from crankcase to intake takes care of the normal amount. This is usually gasses and smoke and it is added to the air intake as combustible gasses.

Typically if you are getting high crankcase pressures, you have excessive blowby from worn rings and valves. This increases crankcase pressure, causing oil in block to be blown up the vent tube as an oily mist or oil droplets into the intake with the usual gasses and smoke. You burn the oil, of course as air/fuel/oil mixture causing spark plug deposits and 'wetness'. My 325i also has intake air flow uphill from bumper cover inlet to filter to intake. At stop that blowby oil film drains down into air filter box, out the drain hole and onto paving.

Your intake kit, as I have seen them, is putting a sump like a P-trap in place of the crankcase vent, and draining that oil mist or droplets back into the crankcase. Correct?

Replacing the rings is a lot of work, but is probably your actual high crankcase pressure cause.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login