Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

From an iX to a truck to...

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
July 30, 2011 12:25PM
Now that I have to commute again in stop and go traffic, the little buckboard S-10 is becoming a tiresome vehicle to drive.

I do appreciate the carrying capacity and wouldn't like to give it up so the obvious solution is a van or mini van. Since I really don't think a full sized van would be an economical choice, that leaves a mini van.

The minis I've looked at all have fuel ratings around the 30mpg(Imperial Gallon) and are adequately powered with v6 engines and automatic trannies.

Several of the extended versions would actually give me more carrying capacity than the truck currently does. The truck bed will only take about 7 feet of a 4x8 sheet of plywood whereas the vans(with seats pulled out or stowed) can accommodate a full 4x8 sheet and close the rear hatch.

My choices seem to come down to machines in the 2002 to 2005 range and are:

Honda Odyssey
Chevy Venture
Pontiac Montana

I have excluded Ford because of it's plastic transmissions and Chrysler because of everything else that breaks almost immediately.

None of the other makes seem to have what my three choices do. Any other models you can think of would be appreciated too.

So, of the three listed; which one(s) would be the best deal...assuming similar mileage(100k to 150k) and cosmetic condition?
July 30, 2011 12:56PM
You should get these on your side of the ocean, pretty good vehicles: Ford Galaxy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 12:58PM by Michiel 318iS.
July 30, 2011 06:47PM
Thanks Michel smiling smiley

That looks pretty nice but I don't think they have disembarked yet sad smiley

Hopefully, when they arrive; they will have something other than the traditional 'plastic' automatic transmission that Ford just doesn't seem to be able to fix or get rid of.

I've done a lot more research and as much as I want to buy 'domestic'; I just can't find a model that has any amount of reliability once the warranty has run out sad smiley

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get a nice ruck with an auto box...
rkj
July 31, 2011 08:00PM
Archeo-peteriX

Hopefully, when they arrive; they will have something other than the traditional 'plastic' automatic transmission that Ford just doesn't seem to be able to fix or get rid of.

I've done a lot more research and as much as I want to buy 'domestic'; I just can't find a model that has any amount of reliability once the warranty has run out sad smiley

A ruck? now I'm confused eye rolling smiley
August 01, 2011 07:29AM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

A ruck? now I'm confused eye rolling smiley

Me too :laugh:

Maybe I should just get another E30 and be done with it winking smiley
August 01, 2011 04:11PM
Archeo-peteriX

Sorry, I don't discuss mini-vans. I thought this site had standards!hot smiley

So, I am assuming you are working steady again, doing consulting or wood cabinets?
If you want to transport yourself and your briefcase, any small economical car would do.
If you are into the wood cabinet industry, can't see why you would trade your s10, unless it is completely falling apart...
Why did you wrote it was a tiresome vehicle to drive? Or you mean you are tired of driving it?
I don't know anything about the s-10, the Isuzu trucks we get over here are completely different.
The Isuzu diesel engine has good reputation over here.
Why do you say a V6 engine and automatic tranny is adequate?

JP
August 01, 2011 07:10PM
Jose Pinto
Archeo-peteriX

sorry about that; I must have been really tired when I wrote it winking smiley

So, I am assuming you are working steady again, doing consulting or wood cabinets?
If you want to transport yourself and your briefcase, any small economical car would do.
If you are into the wood cabinet industry, can't see why you would trade your s10, unless it is completely falling apart...
Why did you wrote it was a tiresome vehicle to drive? Or you mean you are tired of driving it?

I am once again working in the high tech electronics business; designing printed circuit boards for radio modems. this has required me to be commuting about 50km each way in waht amounts to stop and go driving. I find the little truck with it's standard 5 speed to be quite tedious in this kind of driving situation...it was not pleasant with the automatic iX but it was tolerable.

Apart from the inconvenience of the commute, the S-10 does a great job for me. Most of the time, I really enjoy driving it and there is nothing basically wrong with it other than age. It still starts every time; gets very good fuel economy and has no current mechanical or cosmetic problems.

But...if I have to continue with this commute; I would really like something a little more comfortable and more suited to the stop and go situation I have to endure twice each day smiling smiley
I don't know anything about the s-10, the Isuzu trucks we get over here are completely different.

JP
August 02, 2011 04:45AM
Archeo-peteriX
Jose Pinto
Archeo-peteriX

sorry about that; I must have been really tired when I wrote it winking smiley

I am once again working in the high tech electronics business; designing printed circuit boards for radio modems. this has required me to be commuting about 50km each way in waht amounts to stop and go driving. I find the little truck with it's standard 5 speed to be quite tedious in this kind of driving situation...it was not pleasant with the automatic iX but it was tolerable.

Apart from the inconvenience of the commute, the S-10 does a great job for me. Most of the time, I really enjoy driving it and there is nothing basically wrong with it other than age. It still starts every time; gets very good fuel economy and has no current mechanical or cosmetic problems.

But...if I have to continue with this commute; I would really like something a little more comfortable and more suited to the stop and go situation I have to endure twice each day smiling smiley

JP

You mixed up the quotes big time, for an Overdrive user!
:laugh:

Ever considered a motorbike? There are no adequate cars for stop and go commuting.
Or carry a bicycle on the S-10 to impress the environment conscious hi-tech co-workers...
"Yeah, I ride to my workplace everyday!" :stickpoke:
August 02, 2011 10:49AM
Archeo-peteriX
I am once again working in the high tech electronics business; designing printed circuit boards for radio modems. this has required me to be commuting about 50km each way in waht amounts to stop and go driving.

Ah great, so at least two weeks turned into two months. And what does the future bring?
August 02, 2011 04:45PM
Michiel 318iS
Archeo-peteriX
I am once again working in the high tech electronics business; designing printed circuit boards for radio modems. this has required me to be commuting about 50km each way in waht amounts to stop and go driving.

Ah great, so at least two weeks turned into two months. And what does the future bring?
He is shoping for a new car, so I guess he's doing OK!
:cool2:
August 02, 2011 09:04PM
Michiel 318iS
Archeo-peteriX
I am once again working in the high tech electronics business; designing printed circuit boards for radio modems. this has required me to be commuting about 50km each way in what amounts to stop and go driving.

Another extension until the end of August smileys with beer

There is lots more work...they just need to rationalize the expenditure of having me around even longer grinning smiley
August 02, 2011 09:06PM
For the moment; all is well. But in this business it can turn inside out in no time at all.

I will enjoy it while it lasts and then figure out what to do after smiling smiley

Not a new car, just a more comfortable commuter with carrying capacity :dance:
rkj
August 03, 2011 01:46PM
Archeo-peteriX
For the moment; all is well. But in this business it can turn inside out in no time at all.

I will enjoy it while it lasts and then figure out what to do after smiling smiley

Not a new car, just a more comfortable commuter with carrying capacity :dance:

That's been the story of my life, in the restoration game, Peter. So it sounds like a good plan to me :biggrin:

When you say "carrying capacity" what does that mean exactly?

Glad to hear things are looking better Peter :wavey:
August 04, 2011 07:12AM
By carrying capacity, I mean enough room to fit a 4x8 sheet of ply wood.

I have to be read for when this streak of high tech work ends.
rkj
August 04, 2011 06:32PM
Archeo-peteriX
By carrying capacity, I mean enough room to fit a 4x8 sheet of ply wood.

I have to be read for when this streak of high tech work ends.

Finding the right vehicle, isn't there an app for that!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login