Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Paint Brands

Posted by akstraw 
February 09, 2011 12:06PM
It's time to have the BMW repainted. I am looking for a re-finish in the same metallic silver that came from the factory; in other words, nothing terribly custom or upscale. I have two quotes, one for $2000 using PPG paint, and for $1250 using Lesonal paint. Both are basecoat/clearcoat systems. The first shop is highly regarded, and did some work for me 10 years ago under a prior owner. The second shop painted a car for me 18 years ago, with excellent results, and is still run by the same man. I'm inclined to go with the second based primarily on price.

My question is on Lesonal paint; I had never heard of it before. It is an Akzo Nobel brand, as is Sikkens. Has anyone out there heard of or had experience with Lesonal? Any concerns that it might not be as high quality a paint as PPG?

Andy
1987 325ic
rkj
February 09, 2011 01:12PM
akstraw
It's time to have the BMW repainted. I am looking for a re-finish in the same metallic silver that came from the factory; in other words, nothing terribly custom or upscale. I have two quotes, one for $2000 using PPG paint, and for $1250 using Lesonal paint. Both are basecoat/clearcoat systems. The first shop is highly regarded, and did some work for me 10 years ago under a prior owner. The second shop painted a car for me 18 years ago, with excellent results, and is still run by the same man. I'm inclined to go with the second based primarily on price.

My question is on Lesonal paint; I had never heard of it before. It is an Akzo Nobel brand, as is Sikkens. Has anyone out there heard of or had experience with Lesonal? Any concerns that it might not be as high quality a paint as PPG?

Can't really give any direct feedback but I know Sikkens makes good wood coatings and PPG I've used for years on cars, it's not exotic but very serviceable. Good materials is definitely a foundation but the fella doing the prep work is really where it all happens...

Rick
February 10, 2011 09:20AM
Go Akzo Nobel. Only reason: supporting European economy! ;-)
February 10, 2011 11:17AM
Hmm, I think the European economy is doing OK. The Germans are about to buy the New York Stock Exchange!!!!!

alan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login