Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Might be time for a second mid-life crisis...

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
I have never really gotten over having to sell the iX and would early love to have another BMW.
So, the question is...what do I look at?

I'm beyond the days when I am willing to be a nursemaid to an aging E30 or E36. So what is out there that someone with meagre means can afford to buy and drive?
The E46 is already an obsolete and aging model and likely has it's own collection of issues.

What do I look at; late model E46 or the next incarnation(Lord help me I'm not even sure what came after the E46)???
Archeo-peteriX
I have never really gotten over having to sell the iX and would early love to have another BMW.
So, the question is...what do I look at?

I'm beyond the days when I am willing to be a nursemaid to an aging E30 or E36. So what is out there that someone with meagre means can afford to buy and drive?
The E46 is already an obsolete and aging model and likely has it's own collection of issues.

What do I look at; late model E46 or the next incarnation(Lord help me I'm not even sure what came after the E46)???

How about a 1-series, the E82? It was produced from 2007-2013. Maybe a 128i?
Last traditional BMW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2014 12:07AM by Ove Kvam.
That might fill the bill smileys with beer
I'll do some research and see what we have in our area.
Every car has its collection of issues, the positive part for older popular models is that they're well known and well documented on the interwebs. The E46 is one of the better modern cars by BMW, with less complicated electronics than more recent models like the E90 (E60's and E65's have really complicated electronics networks, including fibre optics). Ove's suggestion isn't bad either.
Whatever your choice is, try to avoid N43 and N53 engines, they're a bit troublesome. Depending on how they've been used, any direct injected engine might need some cleaning on the intake side, as there isn't any fuel washing the dirt off the valves (having access to a wallnut blaster is a joy in that case).
Michiel 318iS
Whatever your choice is, try to avoid N43 and N53 engines, they're a bit troublesome.

The N53 was never sold in North America. I guess the N43 is rather rare over there as well.
Good thing. Over here there often rejected at the annual inspection, as their lambda value would be off limits. Sure, they're lean burning engines under certain circumstances...
Searching a new BMW is not a crisis!
:cool2:

All they said, plus you may want the AWD and look into E83 or E53, beware of their added complexity.

It depends on how you want to use the car and how much you want to spend, if it will be your sole or primary transportation and the distance you want to drive every year.

Older cars will break down when you need them most, but the maintenance and inicial cost will be lower.
Newer cars are more expensive, higher maintenance but hopefully come with warranty and are expected to last for a while.

Fuel consumption may or may not be an issue, depending on how much you will need to drive the car. For any model you can get average consumption and forecast how much you will spend on that item.

My old Mercedes Benz averages 0.18 cents per km driven, and I made 75000 now since I bought it (includes purchase price, maintenance, repairs, insurance, taxes, tires, etc.)

Good luck, keep us posted!
:wavey:
There are some iX cars of various models on the BMW CCA website in the classified section. Even an E-30.

Bob in Lake Havasu
I can comment on the E60 as a used car. The one (2005 loaded 545 with 110K kms)) that I picked up 2 years ago and on which I have put another 120,000 kms, has really only had one electronics related issue and that was due to the battery. These cars and their electronics are really power hungary and one must keep the battery fully charged at all times. For a battery cost of about 175$, I don't mind changing it every 2-3 years anyway.

I did have to renew many suspension bushings, but that is normal after 120K kms.

The car is blinding fast and handles very well, even if it isn't quite as nimble as the E30 325is. In spite of the added weight and almost twice the horsepower, the mileage is better than the E30 by about 5%! It has a 91 octane requirement, however.

Apparently, the cooling system might be a weak spot, but at 225K kilometres the cooling ytem is still holding out. Ido expect the water pump to need replacement soon, but that isn't too expensive a job.

Good luck in your search. BTW, don't go for AWD - totally unnecessary in the winter with good winter tires. I use Nokian WG3s on my 545. the traction control works very well in those conditions.

Salut, Bob P.
Stay away from the Xdrives, the slightest difference in tyre circumference messes up the clutches and you're in for an expensive repair. Since the differentials are open, they're quite useless anyway. They'll never meet the E30's iX system performance.
Michiel 318iS
Stay away from the Xdrives, the slightest difference in tyre circumference messes up the clutches and you're in for an expensive repair. Since the differentials are open, they're quite useless anyway. They'll never meet the E30's iX system performance.

I agree. My Impreza had a much better AWD, exceding the E30's in my opinion, which I have also driven.

alut, Bob P.
rkj
I choose a 2004 330ci 6speed. It was ordered nicely with just the right options, gets close to 30 mpg and handles like a slot car (and has a back seat!), and it moves well... Mine is the next to the last year of the E46 and I think, the last of the nice looking Bmws. Oh, the brakes, they're killer.

Happy Hunting Peter. You've been without long enough! smileys with beer
Ove Kvam

How about a 1-series, the E82? It was produced from 2007-2013. Maybe a 128i?
Last traditional BMW

Say what?! :eek:
I thought they just started making the 1 series and they've already quit! What's up with that?

I just bought a set of 15" wheels for my E30 so I can get tires for it. I plan to drive it until there's just no way to get parts to keep it running. It's really not that much trouble to keep it going. Maybe you should reconsider, Peter. It's a good, simple, fun car.

John
I agree with you. Also just bought some larger diameter wheels so I can get some decent tires. I have had my E-30 for 10 years and am still not tired of driving it.

smileys with beer

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
Bob in Everett
I agree with you. Also just bought some larger diameter wheels so I can get some decent tires. I have had my E-30 for 10 years and am still not tired of driving it.

smileys with beer

Still have mine :burnout:
The successor is the F20 5door, F21 3door, F22 coupe or (still to come) F23 convertible.
Michiel 318iS
The successor is the F20 5door, F21 3door, F22 coupe or (still to come) F23 convertible.

But these cars never made it to North America, unfortunately. I drive an F20.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login