Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Time for new suspension for the Benz

Posted by Jose Pinto 
October 13, 2014 04:09AM
I am searching for a new set of shock absorbers for the Benz, w124 250D.
The rear right has quite some play, and the fronts are not doing much, so they all have to go.

The set of new Bilsteins and Sachs units are quite expensive, but there is one brand selling for about half the price:
http://uk.sbs.dk/business-areas/automotive/products/shock-absorbers.aspx

I was searching from http://www.autoteiledirekt.de/.

Anyone has experience with this NK cheap replacement?
I am not after some handling improvement over the stock setup, just a decent safe ride.

I could also have the old Shocks renewed at a shop, but that would take a longuer time without using the car.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
October 14, 2014 06:04PM
I am surprised that shock absorbers can be repaired. Seems to me that so much of it would have to be replace and with the labor involved, new would be less expense I would have thought.

Bob in Lake Havasu
October 15, 2014 02:40AM
Bob in Everett
I am surprised that shock absorbers can be repaired. Seems to me that so much of it would have to be replace and with the labor involved, new would be less expense I would have thought.

Labour is cheap over here.
In Portugal the average worker does over one year, MORE 324 hours for LESS 7484 € compared to a German.
Also the VAT for new parts is high, 23%. sad smiley

Shock absorbers are so simple, basically a rod and a cylinder. They simply renew valves and seals, put in new oil and the "consumables",that's about it.

I have ordered the cheap ones, and will keep the current set in case I will need them again.
Now is just wait the cheap postage to make it's way from Berlin to my door.
About next week I will get the news, by the end of the month they will be in the car.

Will throw a pair of "Continental premium contact 2" for the rear axle and a general alignment, and whatever breaks until then...
:whistle:
October 16, 2014 03:12AM
Jose Pinto
Bob in Everett

Labour is cheap over here.
In Portugal the average worker does over one year, MORE 324 hours for LESS 7484 € compared to a German.
Also the VAT for new parts is high, 23%. sad smiley

Shock absorbers are so simple, basically a rod and a cylinder. They simply renew valves and seals, put in new oil and the "consumables",that's about it.

I have ordered the cheap ones, and will keep the current set in case I will need them again.
Now is just wait the cheap postage to make it's way from Berlin to my door.
About next week I will get the news, by the end of the month they will be in the car.

Will throw a pair of "Continental premium contact 2" for the rear axle and a general alignment, and whatever breaks until then...
:whistle:

Delivery is scheduled for next Tuesday 21. The parcel arrived this morning to Herne, from Langenhagen in Germany.
Perhaps they still use stagecoaches in Germany...
You got to love the UPS tracking app.
:boohoo:
October 21, 2014 01:57PM
Jose Pinto

Delivery is scheduled for next Tuesday 21. The parcel arrived this morning to Herne, from Langenhagen in Germany.
Perhaps they still use stagecoaches in Germany...
You got to love the UPS tracking app.
:boohoo:

The parcel landed on my door by 14h, well done UPS!
:cool2:

Will have the parts in the car by next saturday, or something like that.

:dance:
October 24, 2014 04:00AM
Jose Pinto

The parcel landed on my door by 14h, well done UPS!
:cool2:

Will have the parts in the car by next saturday, or something like that.

:dance:

The parcel, unpacked, revealed this.
I love new parts!
October 27, 2014 11:32AM
Jose Pinto

The parcel, unpacked, revealed this.
I love new parts!

New suspention is softer than the Sachs I had in the car.
The new shocks are matched and even, so the car is more predictable now and the extra softeness is good to my back...
The old shocks were stored, and will be rebuilt some time when I need to replace shocks again. Either that or sell online... tongue sticking out smiley

New pair of Continental tires in front, aligned the whole thing and I'm good to go for a while now.
Next thing will be oil change and filters, no big deal.

:cool:
October 27, 2014 09:54PM
Always satisfying to have repairs complete and on the road. A great sense of accomplishment and well deserved.

:smile:

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login