Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The BMW i3

Posted by Jose Pinto 
May 21, 2014 04:59AM
Just saw one i3 on the road.
It looks taller than i imagined, and very different from anything else (they made that on purpose, i believe).

[www.bmw.com]

I found it not as exciting as i thought it would be, perhaps i have conservative taste.
Perhaps i am getting old. Or both.
I am stuck with old cars for my life, probably.

confused smiley
May 21, 2014 07:02AM
Jose Pinto
It looks taller than i imagined, and very different from anything else (they made that on purpose, i believe).

[www.bmw.com]

I found it not as exciting as i thought it would be, perhaps i have conservative taste.

confused smiley

Three of my local friends are driving i3. I test drove one of them. Very nice car to drive. Quick and responsive.
It is not only tall, but also rather wide. If you multiply height x length x width, it is significantly bigger than an E28 five series.
I really like the one pedal driving. You hardly ever have to use the brakes. Release the throttle, and it coasts rather briskly
to a complete stop. The turning circle is suprisingly small, so the car is very nimble for city driving.

The interior is also looking rather special. If it suited my transport pattery, I would buy one. They are very cheap
compared to normal cars here in Norway. My 116i is more expensive than an i3, both to buy and to use.
May 21, 2014 07:22AM
Ove Kvam
Jose Pinto

[www.bmw.com]

confused smiley

Three of my local friends are driving i3. I test drove one of them. Very nice car to drive. Quick and responsive.
It is not only tall, but also rather wide. If you multiply height x length x width, it is significantly bigger than an E28 five series.
I really like the one pedal driving. You hardly ever have to use the brakes. Release the throttle, and it coasts rather briskly
to a complete stop. The turning circle is suprisingly small, so the car is very nimble for city driving.

The interior is also looking rather special. If it suited my transport pattery, I would buy one. They are very cheap
compared to normal cars here in Norway. My 116i is more expensive than an i3, both to buy and to use.

Thanks for the first hand impression, Ove!
The i3 with gasoline powered "range extender" can be used as any car, perhaps taxes bite that version hard in Norway.
Over here, the 116i is about half the price of the i3, so the lower fuel expense of the i3 is offset for most potential users.
I wish I could do electric, I have an horrible long commute and end up wasting too much of my poor income on transportation.
sad smiley

Either that or get another job near home, not easy nowadays.
:hitwithrock:
May 21, 2014 08:17AM
Jose Pinto
The i3 with gasoline powered "range extender" can be used as any car, perhaps taxes bite that version hard in Norway.

With the range extender, it is no longer regarded as an electric car, and all the tax advantages are gone.
They don't even bother to sell that version in Norway.
May 24, 2014 12:19AM
Plus when driving in REX mode is quite unefficient, 9 liters of fuel hardly add 100 kms to the driving range. The REX only makes sense when you regularly have to drive trips that near the limits of the BEV version. For much longer trips you'd need a petrol car.
May 24, 2014 02:04PM
I came across this video while searching for electric cars...
[www.youtube.com]

I love the race at 5:10 ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2014 02:08PM by Archeo-peteriX.
May 24, 2014 02:30PM
Archeo-peteriX
[www.youtube.com]

This electric E30 is even faster!
[www.youtube.com]
May 24, 2014 06:43PM
This must have been before the Datsun since the record time for the 1/4 mile was only 11.8 seconds and the Datsun got down to 11.5 seconds. Also there is no mention of terminal speed. The Datsun reached in excess of 110mph!
May 24, 2014 11:52PM
Archeo-peteriX
This must have been before the Datsun since the record time for the 1/4 mile was only 11.8 seconds and the Datsun got down to 11.5 seconds. Also there is no mention of terminal speed. The Datsun reached in excess of 110mph!

But the E30 has around 600 hp, so significantly more powerful than the Datsun. I don't think they have done much drag racing with it,
but it still holds the FIA world record for electric cars weighing more than 1000 kg. It has a top speed of 280 km/h, and a range of 180 km.
May 25, 2014 03:15PM
Different leagues altogether!

I think the Datsun was only half that output and a much lighter car overall.

I wouldn't turn down either of these cars.
It would be nice to have a stock looking E30 with half the hp and torque of either car and a decent range.

The slingshot feel of acceleration of these cars must be a real rush :cool2: The g-forces must be something else to make the driver feel disoriented :-O
May 26, 2014 03:19AM
Ove Kvam
Archeo-peteriX
[www.youtube.com]

This electric E30 is even faster!
[www.youtube.com]

Plus it looks very good, with less stickers...
Wish I had one!
smiling smiley
May 26, 2014 09:13AM
This weekend there was a new world record in my home village. 399 electric cars drove together in a line.
See video here:
[www.youtube.com]
June 19, 2014 01:05PM
Drove an i8 today, nice stuff. Quite powerful and flexible. Eyecatcher. Not practical (as any sports car).
June 19, 2014 01:26PM
Michiel 318iS
Drove an i8 today, nice stuff. Quite powerful and flexible. Eyecatcher. Not practical (as any sports car).

Interesting. I'd like to drive one too! smiling smiley
I know a guy who has one on order, so we'll see.
June 19, 2014 01:34PM
In its sport setting, it is quite loud on the outside, thanks to a sound generator. Feels strange, needs some time to get used to but in the end you can appreciate it.
Lots of torque: turbo + electric boost + electric engine.
June 20, 2014 06:01AM
I think world records are like history books - they change depending on who writes about them smiling smiley

[www.timetoelectrify.ca]

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2014 06:01AM by jaffar.
June 20, 2014 06:32AM
jaffar
I think world records are like history books - they change depending on who writes about them smiling smiley

[www.timetoelectrify.ca]

They were counting hybrid vehicles as well in Canada. The world record is for electric cars.
June 30, 2014 08:02AM
Michiel 318iS
In its sport setting, it is quite loud on the outside, thanks to a sound generator. Feels strange, needs some time to get used to but in the end you can appreciate it.
Lots of torque: turbo + electric boost + electric engine.

Just out of curiosity, what is the selling price for an i8 in Central Europe?
I know is way, way out of my league...
:boohoo:
Over here, they are marketing the i3 starting at 38000€, while the 1 series sells from 25000€.
I guess there will be only a few coming out over here...
I spend about 300€ in diesel oil every month, and I wish I could save some to spend elsewhere...
:wall:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 08:04AM by Jose Pinto.
July 01, 2014 10:31AM
I thought the starting price is 138000€, well out of my range as well. Laserlight is a 9000€ option!
July 01, 2014 10:32AM
And tomorrow I'll be driving an i3 for a night.
July 02, 2014 02:41AM
Michiel 318iS
And tomorrow I'll be driving an i3 for a night.

Tonight I will be driving an e30 M3 I have.

...at Need for Speed World...
:whistle:
July 02, 2014 10:49AM
Boys and their toys :-)
July 04, 2014 08:03AM
A rare treat for sure. I do not remember you mentioning an M3 before. Enjoy.

Bob in Lake Havasu
July 04, 2014 10:59AM
Bob in Everett
A rare treat for sure. I do not remember you mentioning an M3 before. Enjoy.

Is new, just bought it, you can get one as well:
[world.needforspeed.com]

Only problem is, it's not for real.
:whistle:
July 05, 2014 09:30AM
I bought a second hand shift knob and boot that says M3 on it and put it in my E-30 for my fantacy M3 driving experience.

Bob in Lake Havasu
July 06, 2014 12:33AM
Bob in Everett
I bought a second hand shift knob and boot that says M3 on it and put it in my E-30 for my fantacy M3 driving experience.

I think the euro M3 only has M stripes on the gear knob. But then again they have first gear down left, so you know it by the shift pattern.
I guess the US M3 is different.
July 08, 2014 10:52AM
Bob in Everett

...Still much closer to real than my fantasy experience.

Just as a side note, the M3 is rated in the game among some supercars Lamborghini and Porsche.
:thumbup:

I know, it's a game.
August 19, 2014 03:25PM
Michiel 318iS
I thought the starting price is 138000€, well out of my range as well. Laserlight is a 9000€ option!

I was reading an article at a newspaper, the i8 quota for Portugal sold out, and the prices averaged above 145000€.
...Someone has a lot of money on hand to blow on exotic cars!
:eyes:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login