Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Okay, I think I'm in Bmw heaven. Reallysmiling smiley

Posted by rkj 
rkj
January 14, 2014 05:14PM
The other day I had the pleasure of getting in the E30 (which has been sitting there since the new kid came home, but more on him later) and taking a nice drive on my back roads here on the east end. I live on the stretch of road right before the eastern tip of long island, new york. My usual poke my head out the door ride is from the ocean to the bay, my house being almost dead in the middle of the two or three mile run. When I first got in the 325 I was surprised it ran so well, after all that sitting, and how great it felt. It’s a 1988 325is/5 with a nardy wood wheel and gearshift knob. Outside of a short shifter and exhaust it’s a fairly stock car with nice wheels and slightly larger tires, nothing real special, just a good solid car I bought from the original owner many years ago. I’ve done a lot of work to the car over the years and it’s still lots of fun to drive…

The picture under this copy is at the bay side of the island, a nice quiet place I go to write, or think. Hopefully soon to launch my sailboat! Anyway, to get back to my story-

I’m out for the first day in weeks (it has been bone chilling cold here for a few weeks or so) and I have trouble breathing when it gets too cold so I just amuse myself inside the house and shop, but even the shop was off limits with this last cold snap!

So, when I say I was just happy to get out, I really was, but to be in such a nice car (for the first time in many months, am I repeating myself… sorry) was such a pleasure. Acing around the back roads turned in to a few hours in to other back roads until I was ready for a snack.

A few days after that I took our E39 to the Veterans hospital a 100 miles away and that was the first time I got behind that wheel in a while also. My wife usually drives the 528 these days so it stays with her 100% of the time, I love that it’s got all those airbags and real steel around her. It would be hard to say here how much this five series has grown on me but on the road, for serious driving, it’s the nicest touring sedan I’ve ever driven. It’s a 5 speed that will do just about anything you ask of it. Outside of 18 inch wheels that are a bit wider than stock and wide Contentals this car is basically stock also.

The new guy, a black 2004 330ci/6 coupe, has been the light of my life so far. It’s not an M3 but it’s close. It is the car I’ve always wanted to build/own but never had the money. For me it has everything going for it I would ever need; fast, handles like a slot car and is a total sleeper, quiet and sedate looking. The brakes are what first drew me to the car and they are a joy. The car was ordered with some nice options and after a few bugs got worked out has been a truly wonderful rig, totally a Rick machine. So, here I sit in Bmw heaven…

perseverance furthers
You are.
Enjoy!
:cool2:
So, that is four in the family? Quite a stable of bimmers.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
No, just the three. I deadlined Janet's 325 E30, after the tree fell on it I decided she needed an upgrade.

Rick in new york :wavey:
rkj
The other day I had the pleasure of getting in the E30 (which has been sitting there since the new kid came home, but more on him later) and taking a nice drive on my back roads here on the east end. I live on the stretch of road right before the eastern tip of long island, new york. My usual poke my head out the door ride is from the ocean to the bay, my house being almost dead in the middle of the two or three mile run. When I first got in the 325 I was surprised it ran so well, after all that sitting, and how great it felt. It’s a 1988 325is/5 with a nardy wood wheel and gearshift knob. Outside of a short shifter and exhaust it’s a fairly stock car with nice wheels and slightly larger tires, nothing real special, just a good solid car I bought from the original owner many years ago. I’ve done a lot of work to the car over the years and it’s still lots of fun to drive…

The picture under this copy is at the bay side of the island, a nice quiet place I go to write, or think. Hopefully soon to launch my sailboat! Anyway, to get back to my story-

I’m out for the first day in weeks (it has been bone chilling cold here for a few weeks or so) and I have trouble breathing when it gets too cold so I just amuse myself inside the house and shop, but even the shop was off limits with this last cold snap!

So, when I say I was just happy to get out, I really was, but to be in such a nice car (for the first time in many months, am I repeating myself… sorry) was such a pleasure. Acing around the back roads turned in to a few hours in to other back roads until I was ready for a snack.

A few days after that I took our E39 to the Veterans hospital a 100 miles away and that was the first time I got behind that wheel in a while also. My wife usually drives the 528 these days so it stays with her 100% of the time, I love that it’s got all those airbags and real steel around her. It would be hard to say here how much this five series has grown on me but on the road, for serious driving, it’s the nicest touring sedan I’ve ever driven. It’s a 5 speed that will do just about anything you ask of it. Outside of 18 inch wheels that are a bit wider than stock and wide Contentals this car is basically stock also.

The new guy, a black 2004 330ci/6 coupe, has been the light of my life so far. It’s not an M3 but it’s close. It is the car I’ve always wanted to build/own but never had the money. For me it has everything going for it I would ever need; fast, handles like a slot car and is a total sleeper, quiet and sedate looking. The brakes are what first drew me to the car and they are a joy. The car was ordered with some nice options and after a few bugs got worked out has been a truly wonderful rig, totally a Rick machine. So, here I sit in Bmw heaven…

Rick, we seem to have had the same cars previously. I have also owned an '88 325is, a 2002tii and did covet an E39 540. Couldn't find the 540, but did find an E60 545 6 speed. what a car, but a bit too many electronic assistance in it though, i.e suspension, steering etc.

Salut,

Bob P.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login