Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aftermarket water pump bearing noise

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
October 20, 2013 09:27AM
A youngster in the neighborhood has been bitten by the BMW bug and has bought an E-30. He is really excited about it and has already done some of the normal stuff such as lowering springs and modified exhaust. He also has done some of the required stuff such as the timing belt and water pump change out. But this week has noticed a noise in the engine that was unusual. After listening to it and using a piece of hose for a stethoscope, we determined it was the water pump bearings making the noise. It appears that after only two months of use the bearings in this "guaranteed for life" auto parts store replacement is going to require another trip to the front of the engine to replace. Makes the OEM part a lot less expensive in time and energy it appears.

Bob in Lake Havasu
October 20, 2013 08:42PM
Had the same thing. Replace a seal 3x with a Chinese part (major chain auto parts store). After the third one leaked, went to Toyota and bought a factory part. Leak solved.

Many decades ago, "Made in Japan" was synonymous with poor quality. Wonder how long it will take the Chinese to get over the hump?
October 21, 2013 11:50AM
alanrw
Had the same thing. Replace a seal 3x with a Chinese part (major chain auto parts store). After the third one leaked, went to Toyota and bought a factory part. Leak solved.

Many decades ago, "Made in Japan" was synonymous with poor quality. Wonder how long it will take the Chinese to get over the hump?

Probably won't happen until they start importing their own models and have to compete with the Japanese.
It has taken the Koreans nearly 20 years to catch up to the Japanese so I suppose it could be the same for Chine once they start importing Chinese models.
October 21, 2013 10:17PM
That's unfortunate. I am at the point when I hear the part or item was made in China, pretty much resigned that it is gonna be crap.
rkj
October 22, 2013 08:31PM
alanrw
That's unfortunate. I am at the point when I hear the part or item was made in China, pretty much resigned that it is gonna be crap.

The other day my 5er was in the shop for a cooling system upgrade. I had been putting parts together for many months. My indie needed a few idler pullies for the new belts and got them from a carquest store!, he knows better but I decided to let it go and see what happens.... stuff like that gives me the shivers, I like german parts if I'm going through the trouble, why not spend a few extra bucks and do it once..... I think that's why we bought these cars, right?

Rick
October 23, 2013 08:34PM
The philosophy is that the replacement part will last longer than most people will keep an old car. Car parts from even cheap stores are sometimes guarenteed for "life" even though that is only a couple of years.

Bob

Bob in Lake Havasu
October 24, 2013 07:30AM
Beside thta, I have a slightly different story from my MB.
The pre-heat glow plug timing control unit quit some time ago.
ebay
There are 3 aftermamrket parts, from Hella, febi and beru, all made in Europe.

I tried to search the part at breakers, as it is expensive, but I was unsure it was the problem, so I asked an estimate from BOSCH service. They tested and sourced the part at the MERCEDES BENZ dealer, more expensive but way faster than e-bay and safer than used parts.

The part came, and to my surprise it was made in Malaysia and sold by Mercedes Benz at higher price than the German equivalent part.
This is the root of the current crisis we face, the de-industrialisation of Europe, unenmployment while at the same time the Malaysian economy is not profiting because they sell cheap due to having a low status at the value chain, most margin stays at Mercedes Benz.
Quality is just another aspect of the same, quality control is very costly. Whe you source any part at a fraction of the normal cost, quality issues are to be expected, although you may get lucky...To offer the cheapest price, sacrifices have to be made. Worst is to pick the low wquality part, wrap some warranty arround and sell it expensive, and things will snap sometime latter down the road.
sad smiley
The world has never been so complex as today.
October 24, 2013 09:37AM
If you have a bit of time, you can figure out who was the OEM manufacturer and then source the part from them directly. You might be surprised. Mostly, it's just the box that's different.
October 24, 2013 06:20PM
I have had pretty good luck with salvage parts from breakers. Usually they are OEM.

Bob in Lake Havasu
October 25, 2013 06:01AM
Michiel 318iS
If you have a bit of time, you can figure out who was the OEM manufacturer and then source the part from them directly. You might be surprised. Mostly, it's just the box that's different.

I could have bought the alternative part cheaper, but then in case it was not the problem I wouldn't be able to return it.
I know car brands don't make electronic modules, or consumables or anything. They source everything at specialized companies, and just brand and pack things.
What Mercedes Benz did was to source the cheaper manufacturer in Malaysia and sell it as OEM, and more expensive than I would pay for an alternative source like Beru, Hella or febi, most made in Europe. Not discussing "quality" or "reputation" here, I jsut need the job done.
OTOH, the car is now 25 year old, probably will never need glow plugs again or this timing control.
October 25, 2013 09:12AM
Recently I did a couple of orders at mister auto, they seem to have a website it pt too. Had some issues with deliveries, but all has been sorted and refunded.

[mister-auto.pt]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login