Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Contemplating a 325tds e36

Posted by Jose Pinto 
October 02, 2013 05:11PM
The MB 250D is driving me crazy with small and not so small parts breaking almost every month, so I feel like buying a car kit. sad smiley
It has a list of about 1000€ worth of things I would like to fix to have it the way I think it should be.

So, I am keeping an eye out for some deal to replace it before I am completely bankrupt.
The "long commute" life arrangement is not to be changed soon, but is not the way I want to spend the rest of my life, so I am not looking for a long term solution (meaning: no 10 year loan on a new car) .
I am doing 120km minimum driving per day, that is a lot more than I want to, about 35000km/year.

So, there is this black e36 325tds for sale from a dealer, looks clean, recent respray, very good interior, OBC, "climatronic", some aftermarket wheels, and so on.

Compared to the 250D, it will be:
-faster, newer model.
-higher maintenance (not sure about how much).
-slightly higher fuel consumption (5 to 10€ higher)
-better reliability, due to less years of abuse and neglect (this is perhaps wishful thinking)

I understand the e36 is an old car now, and it will break on me no matter what.
Any thoughts on this?
rkj
October 04, 2013 06:30PM
Jose Pinto
The MB 250D is driving me crazy with small and not so small parts breaking almost every month, so I feel like buying a car kit. sad smiley
It has a list of about 1000€ worth of things I would like to fix to have it the way I think it should be.

So, I am keeping an eye out for some deal to replace it before I am completely bankrupt.
The "long commute" life arrangement is not to be changed soon, but is not the way I want to spend the rest of my life, so I am not looking for a long term solution (meaning: no 10 year loan on a new car) .
I am doing 120km minimum driving per day, that is a lot more than I want to, about 35000km/year.

So, there is this black e36 325tds for sale from a dealer, looks clean, recent respray, very good interior, OBC, "climatronic", some aftermarket wheels, and so on.

Compared to the 250D, it will be:
-faster, newer model.
-higher maintenance (not sure about how much).
-slightly higher fuel consumption (5 to 10€ higher)
-better reliability, due to less years of abuse and neglect (this is perhaps wishful thinking)

I understand the e36 is an old car now, and it will break on me no matter what.
Any thoughts on this?

Hi Jose

I don't know anything about the Bmw diesel but I have to think they're not a bad choice. Sometimes it's a better deal to start fresh smileys with beer

Good Luck, Rick
October 05, 2013 08:30PM
You will most likely enjoy driving it. The suspension is likely where maintenance has been neglected if at all. If the interior is in good shape that is a good start.

Bob in Lake Havasu
October 06, 2013 04:54AM
Well, at least the Benz served its time. Depending on your driving style, a 325 tds might even have better fuel economy. If it looks good, especially at places where you usually don't look, you might have a gooddeal. Do you know why it has been repainted? Try to make sure that shiny paint isn't covering a major crash repair.
October 06, 2013 02:25PM
Michiel 318iS
Well, at least the Benz served its time. Depending on your driving style, a 325 tds might even have better fuel economy. If it looks good, especially at places where you usually don't look, you might have a gooddeal. Do you know why it has been repainted? Try to make sure that shiny paint isn't covering a major crash repair.

Repainted due to crash repair..It was a minor fender bender, and if I were to look for a cheap used car in it's original paint, I may as well look for a unicorn...
My 250D has a "new" front end in it, complete with a cheap substandard bumper. the frame below is solid though and the paint was done well.

And did I mention I am on a budget here, not looking after some colection piece...
:whistle:
October 06, 2013 03:34PM
rkj

Hi Jose

I don't know anything about the Bmw diesel but I have to think they're not a bad choice. Sometimes it's a better deal to start fresh smileys with beer

Good Luck, Rick

Wish I could "start fresh" with some 118d, maybe next time...
:boohoo:
October 07, 2013 03:14PM
Bob in Everett
You will most likely enjoy driving it. The suspension is likely where maintenance has been neglected if at all. If the interior is in good shape that is a good start.

I believe any BMW beats an old Mercedes Benz ex-taxi on driving joy...
:rally:
Any car of this age, one should expect to throw some money into suspension, steering, brakes and clutch (not in this order), aside from fluids filters and belts.

The Benz is driving fine again, after 372€ poured into it. The thing is I always have the feeling something is holding by the last thread and ready to fail next month...
And keep me from fixing those little things I wanted to since I bought it, like the interior, power roof, door locks, rust spots, decent stereo...
:cloud:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login