Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Temptation

Posted by John Yust 
January 05, 2013 05:09PM
I haven't posted anything about it here, but for the past year and a half my job (and therefore my income) has been up and down - with a lot of down. Just a couple of weeks ago I started a new job that has work lined up for months. My plan was to save money from this new job and get back on track with my plans to buy a house, so naturally one of my cycling buddies had to throw some temptation in my path by offering to sell me his car. Take a look at these pictures. This will delay my plans a little if I go for it, but the temptation is strong.

[attachment 173 2013-01-0516.23.51small.jpg]
[attachment 174 2013-01-0516.24.12small.jpg]
[attachment 175 2013-01-0516.24.36small.jpg]
[attachment 176 2013-01-0516.25.03small.jpg]

There is one little body flaw. The hood doesn't line up right at the front edge. It got hit and soemthing isn't quite right. The hood got repainted and looks fine. No rust. Perfect interior - no cracks in the seats or dash. The AC doesn't work - I've fixed that before, so I know what that involves.

I drove it today. My car is an 87 eta and this one is an 88 is. It seemed kind of twitchy to me, but maybe that's just the way an i feels compared to an eta. The front end parts are all new, so it isn't twitching because of steering. It's the way it feels when you let off the clutch that I'm referring to. It drove fine - shifted nice and smooth - quiet transmision. I just don't know what a 325i normally feels like. It's different from an eta, that's for sure.

What do you think? Good choice for my red mid-life crisis car? :burnout:

John
Attachments:
open | download - 2013-01-05 16.23.51 small.jpg (24.2 KB)
open | download - 2013-01-05 16.24.12 small.jpg (27 KB)
open | download - 2013-01-05 16.24.36 small.jpg (25.6 KB)
open | download - 2013-01-05 16.25.03 small.jpg (32.7 KB)
January 05, 2013 05:29PM
You make me want to cry sad smiley

But I already had my mid life crisis so it's someone else's turn :whistle:

The 'i' should not feel twitchy; it should be rock solid like the eta.

The only noticeable difference with the 'i' should be that there is no real torque and grunt developed until 3500 rpm at which time you will feel like you are in a slingshot, just released.

Just a thought; check the engine and tranny mounts along with the rear end bushings...these could account for the twitchyness you described.
January 06, 2013 03:49PM
Looks good, how much is he asking?

Don't know your finances, but I imagine you would part with the 87 eta and keep this newish "is". The expenses involved shouldn't be far higher compared to the eta, unless you would drive around a lot with the car, consider a bit more fuel consumption!
It looks good in the pictures, the hood should be adjusted right, obviously it had some body work done at the front but sounds no big deal really considering a car of this vintage.

The "is" should pull strong from 1000rpm (perhaps less torque than the eta) and keep pulling until late 5000, lot's of power. I never drove an eta, so i can't tell what difference there is to expect...
You hang around BENN for long enough to tell a good e30 from a lemmon, I guess! :whistle:

OTOH, if you let it go, you must think of a good reason (like some major problem in the car, big expenses to fix something, lack of money, etc) or you may regret you did so the rest of your life.
:cloud:
January 08, 2013 08:17PM
Good news. I decided I couldn't afford to buy the car and the seller decided he wanted to keep it a while longer, so I'm first on the list if/when he decides to sell it. I see him about twice a week on bike rides once the weather gets warm, so I'll be able to keep an eye on it.

If the new job holds up I should be in a lot better shape financially in just a few months. I think this about the best way this could have worked out. Now maybe he'll fix some of the little things it needs - like the AC. smiling smiley

He was asking $6,500, which is kind of high, but it's a nice clean example.

John
January 09, 2013 02:16PM
I guess in the mean time, both will think the best solution...
Anyway, if he is considering to sell don't expect him to go fixing things in the car...

Can't tell if the price is high or not, you may want to brouse adds and compare. The most important is you don't go deep in debt to purchase the car of your dreams!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 10, 2013 12:41PM
Just out of curiousity, what's does a house cost where you're at?
January 10, 2013 08:17PM
Michiel 318iS
Just out of curiousity, what's does a house cost where you're at?

Just like most places, a house can be bought for a wide range all the way from cheap to millions of dollars.

It all depends on your tolerance for drive time to work and willingness to fix an older house. I live in a rental dump in a neighborhood of older houses with a 15 minute drive to work. An older house in this neighborhood can be bought in decent shape for around $200,000. I've seen them for as little as 100k, but they're not the nice ones at that price. The newer brick McMansions in this part of town are in the 500k range ( I'm not even interested in a house like that). A longer drive to work can get you rural living on about 5 acres with an older house for around 200k to 300k. All of this is highly variable depending on exact location and condition, of course. As much as I would like the rural situation, I have other needs that will probably keep me closer in to town. I'll certainly be looking for a place with a nice garage, or room to build one. Thirty years of working on cars in a gravel driveway is enough for me.

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login