Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sally comes home- with a 318is this time

Posted by longtallsally 
October 13, 2010 01:27AM
Hey all! Well, I've returned (who can't after getting hooked on these cars?). I decided to do a '91 318is for my 4th E30. If anyone remembers me from back in the day, the last one I had was basically perfect and was purchased from the original owner. Well, this one needed a bit of a friend and some rescuing...

Here are the particulars: '91 318is purchased with 184k miles on the clock. Diamond schwartz with tan interior. I've documented most all of what I've done on E30tech and M42 Club, so I don't think I need to reinvent the wheel, but if anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Here is the LONG list of what has been done since I got it about a year ago. I'll break it down by the PO and then me:

PO:
- control arms and offset bushings up front
- rear subframe and trailing arm bushings (thank goodness as that is the one job I've not done on the E30 and was dreading doing it)
- H&R sport springs with Bilstein sport shocks
- removed sound deadening and AC compressor (he thought he was going to turn it into a track car... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...)
- all the timing stuff done (critical for the M42)

Me:
Drivetrain:
- new (rebuilt) drive shaft
- rebuilt half shafts
- rear wheel bearings (the correct tools are worth every penny)
- small case 4.10 lsd (a MUST have)
- replaced a blown rear shock

Interior:
- removed the airbag wheel and replaced with an M Tech 1 wheel that I recovered (come out looking OEM brand new for $70)
- retrofitted a 13 button On Board Computer with the correct coding plug
- retrofitted OEM cruise control (can't live without it)
- power sunroof conversion (contrary to popular belief, there really is no weight difference)
- replaced the cracked dash

Functional:
- smiley headlight conversion with units I got from a yard here in Germany wired correctly to have fogs, city lights, etc all at the same and correct time
- rear fog light setup complete with correct switch and dash illumination
- grilles to go with the lights
- fairly rough but salvageable MIM 1900 wheels (going to refinish both these and the OEM basketweaves
- COMPLETE AC overhaul and conversion to R134a including individual flushing of all components, all new O Rings, brand new compressor, expansion valve, and receiver dryer. Next will be to put in a parallel flow condenser as the system doesn't quite keep up like in my M20 after it was converted especially at idle.
- added a second light on the trunk lid
- full premium speaker conversion
- proper installation of a Kenwood KDC-993 Excellon head unit (iPod control, bluetooth, XM/Sirius, etc...)

Still to come:
- convert the interior to black- I've already got the seats, but I'm waiting to get some heated elements to recover with the crazy European pattern I've got until I get those
- finish retrofit of all things in the cold weather package: heated washer nozzles (got them, just need to install), heated mirrors, heated seats (have all the OEM parts except the elements)
- retrofit headlight washer system
- FINALLY rebuild the calipers and put in the SS lines with proper fluid
- add a slew of sound deadening (this is not a track only car, and I want it quiet and the 30 lbs isn't going to hurt my feelings)
- rebuild the motor to perfect at some point
- electric fan conversion
- coil on plug conversion
- exhaust
- paint and body
- simple add on sub for a touch more bass in the stereo

Enough babbling. Here are some of the highlights in pictures:

Day after purchase

Um, how can I clean that up? It looks like crap?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login