Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

daniel's 1988 325is

Posted by daniel 
February 25, 2009 03:53PM
My name is Daniel Sloan and I go to Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon.

Here I will be posting pictures of my car as it progresses.

1988 325is ~148k miles (as of 03/09)
Lachssilber on black leather

Driveline
S52 motor ~85k miles (as of 03/09)
ZF320 transmission
JB Racing lightweight flywheel
Southbend Stage 5 clutch
UUC steel-braided clutch line
3.25 LSD

Suspension
E36 M3 brakes (front)
E36 318ti brakes (rear)
H&R Coilovers
E30 M3 sway bar drop links
Treehouse Racing CABs
IE camber plates
IE polyurethane rear sub-frame bushings

Wheels/Tires
16x8 ET23 Style 4 wheels. previously: 16x8 ET23 BBS RZ aka BMW Style 5's. before that: 16x7.5 ET35 MOMO Mirages
225/40ZR16 Toyo Proxes T1R tires

Exterior
Plastic bumper swap
Red painted taillights
Euro grilles

Interior
Map-light rear-view mirror
13-button OBC
Alpine CDA-9885 deck
JL Audio coaxial speakers
Power sunroof

Coming Eventually
Paint

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2009 03:59PM by daniel.
February 26, 2009 08:38AM
Nice ride...I like your old rims better. What made you decide to change them? I am drooling over that s52!
February 26, 2009 01:51PM
wodcutr
Nice ride...I like your old rims better. What made you decide to change them? I am drooling over that s52!

you like those 6 spoke wheels more than the basketweaves??? ewwww
i decided to change them because i think they are hideous. along with that, the weaves are 16x8 and are BMW wheels, while the MOMO's are 16x7.5. i will gladly sell them to you if you want; you can use them when you do a 5-lug conversion.

February 26, 2009 06:21PM
daniel
wodcutr

i decided to change them because i think they are hideous. along with that, the weaves are 16x8 and are BMW wheels, while the MOMO's are 16x7.5. i will gladly sell them to you if you want; you can use them when you do a 5-lug conversion.

My bad...I definitely like the weaves better than the 6 spokes. I thought you got rid of the weaves because you wanted something different looking. Apparently you got the car with those ugly rims and went to the better look! I absolutely would not want those spokes. thumbs down
February 26, 2009 07:43PM
wodcutr
daniel
wodcutr

My bad...I definitely like the weaves better than the 6 spokes. I thought you got rid of the weaves because you wanted something different looking. Apparently you got the car with those ugly rims and went to the better look! I absolutely would not want those spokes. thumbs down

oh ok. the pictures are basically in chronological order from top to bottom, if that helps. i bought the car with those 6 spoke wheels about which i cannot find any information! it is really frustrating because i want to know if i have something rare or desirable on my hands, or if they are just junk. i am thinking of keeping them for a set of winter tires, but it is hardly worth buying winter tires here in portland (we do have those days, though). i would sell them if i could get $400 or so.

February 26, 2009 07:43PM
wodcutr
I am drooling over that s52!

if you come to portland i will take you for a ride, haha.

February 27, 2009 07:34AM
daniel
wodcutr

I would probably drive up there just to see how everything fits and check out the wiring ect, but I know that I am a HP junkie and after feeling the g's from that ride I would be dumping a bunch of money into an s52 for my car. What I really want to do is get an E30 M3 for that swap so I can justify spending that kind of money...I guess I will just have to be patient! B)
February 27, 2009 10:47AM
wodcutr
daniel
wodcutr

I would probably drive up there just to see how everything fits and check out the wiring ect, but I know that I am a HP junkie and after feeling the g's from that ride I would be dumping a bunch of money into an s52 for my car. What I really want to do is get an E30 M3 for that swap so I can justify spending that kind of money...I guess I will just have to be patient! B)

if you get an e30 m3 you have to keep the S14. only if the S14 was completely trashed would it be reasonable to swap in an S52. theres also the euro S50B32... 321hp anyone?

February 27, 2009 10:49AM
also, im not sure how much you would get out of looking at the motor. most of the wiring looks pretty normal. if you want to learn the details of the swap, your best bet is to head over to your favorite website, r3vlimited, and browse/search through their 24V section.

February 27, 2009 06:15PM
I was poking around s14 today and was looking at a pretty nice car that had a 2.5l s14 in it. The guy says he has over 16 grand into the motor alone. Thats a lot of money to keep something looking stock. the s52 would be a better cheaper build. Maybe I will just have to buy a roller to do the build. That way I wouldn't be destroying a perfectly good car. I just don't want something that has had a roll bar welded in it or a rusty POS.
March 07, 2009 07:54PM
Daniel... Why did you have to go and get an E30 that is the exact same color as mine? Now not only is it an "is", have an s52, and friggin maps lights, it also has a better paint job in myyyyy color!
I guess there is only one thing I can do! Be a better driver ;-)
March 08, 2009 04:03AM
Earendil
Daniel... Why did you have to go and get an E30 that is the exact same color as mine? Now not only is it an "is", have an s52, and friggin maps lights, it also has a better paint job in myyyyy color!
I guess there is only one thing I can do! Be a better driver ;-)

haha you haven't seen the paint... the pictures really flatter the car. its actually pretty dumb how terrible the paint is. once i do everything mechanically i want to do, i will start thinking paint. i would be really surprised if yours was worse.

come down to portland and ill give you a ride! or maybe even let you drive if you are nice.

rkj
April 04, 2009 05:00PM
show off thumbs up
October 13, 2009 10:04AM
October 13, 2009 04:31PM
sweet

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login